Can't get into BIOS with RTX 3090 FE

GTechGeorge
Go to solution Solved by GTechGeorge,

SOLUTION: Not a guaranteed fix for everyone, but swapping the GPU for either the 1080 Ti or the 3070 allowed me to have display to perform a BIOS update, rebooted into windows and shut down the system. Swapped to the RTX 3090 and badda bing badda boom I was past the BIOS splash screen and in Windows.

Original Post:

I just got my hands on an RTX 3090 Founders Edition and am stoked. But unfortunately, my system won't post and I can't seem to figure out why. The lights turn on and all my fans spin, but the motherboard Q-Code LED gets stuck on "bF" for maybe 10 seconds before shutting down. Motherboard manual isn't much help because it just says bF is "reserved for future AMI Codes" so that's not much help.

So far I have tried:

-Resetting the CMOS (reset my OC and returned CPU/RAM to stock settings, posts just fine)

-Reseating the CPU (posts just fine)

-Checking for bent/broken pins (no bent pins, posts just fine)
-Reinstalling CPU cooler to ensure proper mounting pressure (posts just fine)

-Tested all 4 RAM sticks to show they work individually, and that they work in tandem (all DIMMs work, posts just fine)

-Uninstalled my graphics card drivers

-Uninstalled my GTX 1080 Ti

-Installed the RTX 3090 FE

I'm thinking it mayyy be because my CPU lacks PCIe Gen 4.0 support, but even then it should work just fine at Gen 3.0 speeds. My system is connected to a CyberPower UPS that supports up to 1000W of power so I've confirmed the system only pulls about 135W of power when booting which is well within my power supply's limits.

System Specs:

Intel Core i7-6850K

Corsair H150i Pro RGB

ASUS STRIX X99 Gaming

4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB

RTX 3090 Founders Edition

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Seagate Barracuda PRO 4TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Corsair Crystal 460X

UPDATE: I just swapped back to my GTX 1080 Ti and was able to get past the BIOS and into Windows just fine, and same thing with my buddy's RTX 3070 FE which I'm holding onto until he gets the rest of the parts for his PC. Whereas the RTX 3090 just doesn't even show the BIOS splash screen.

SOLUTION: Not a guaranteed fix for everyone, but swapping the GPU for either the 1080 Ti or the 3070 allowed me to have display to perform a BIOS update, rebooted into windows and shut down the system. Swapped to the RTX 3090 and badda bing badda boom I was past the BIOS splash screen and in Windows.

Original Post:

I just got my hands on an RTX 3090 Founders Edition and am stoked. But unfortunately, my system won't post and I can't seem to figure out why. The lights turn on and all my fans spin, but the motherboard Q-Code LED gets stuck on "bF" for maybe 10 seconds before shutting down. Motherboard manual isn't much help because it just says bF is "reserved for future AMI Codes" so that's not much help.

So far I have tried:

-Resetting the CMOS (reset my OC and returned CPU/RAM to stock settings, posts just fine)

-Reseating the CPU (posts just fine)

-Checking for bent/broken pins (no bent pins, posts just fine)
-Reinstalling CPU cooler to ensure proper mounting pressure (posts just fine)

-Tested all 4 RAM sticks to show they work individually, and that they work in tandem (all DIMMs work, posts just fine)

-Uninstalled my graphics card drivers

-Uninstalled my GTX 1080 Ti

-Installed the RTX 3090 FE

I'm thinking it mayyy be because my CPU lacks PCIe Gen 4.0 support, but even then it should work just fine at Gen 3.0 speeds. My system is connected to a CyberPower UPS that supports up to 1000W of power so I've confirmed the system only pulls about 135W of power when booting which is well within my power supply's limits.

System Specs:

Intel Core i7-6850K

Corsair H150i Pro RGB

ASUS STRIX X99 Gaming

4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB

RTX 3090 Founders Edition

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Seagate Barracuda PRO 4TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Corsair Crystal 460X

UPDATE: I just swapped back to my GTX 1080 Ti and was able to get past the BIOS and into Windows just fine, and same thing with my buddy's RTX 3070 FE which I'm holding onto until he gets the rest of the parts for his PC. Whereas the RTX 3090 just doesn't even show the BIOS splash screen.

i dunno about that psu. while many people are going to say its enough, Nvidia recommends a 850 (i think) 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Just to clarify:
It boots after clearing your CMOs, reseating CPU/CPU cooler/RAM with your RTX 3090 FE in?

Or is that with your GTX 1080 Ti in?

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Just to clarify:
It boots after clearing your CMOs, reseating CPU/CPU cooler/RAM with your RTX 3090 FE in?

Or is that with your GTX 1080 Ti in?

No, the system does not get to the BIOS splash screen with the RTX 3090 FE installed. Every troubleshooting step I've done with my GTX 1080 Ti as well as my buddy's RTX 3070 FE works just fine. I'm currently sitting at my desktop with the RTX 3070 FE installed.

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

So only your RTX 3090 FE doesn't work.

See if it works in your friend's system.

The friend who owns the RTX 3070 doesn't have a system yet, as mentioned previously. I'm just testing it to ensure it works properly because we're waiting for Black Friday deals for him to buy the rest of the parts.

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Ah.

Do you have any older parts you could test it with?

Like a spare system? Not particularly.

I have a very similar problem with my 3090.
I got it to post by forcing the pc to turn off during the start process. (Just holding the power button)

After that it posts in safe mode and I can then just leave the bios to start windows.

Thing is, that's no real solution to the problem. I'm still on the lookout for that. 

But at least I can use my pc with the 3090. Although bios settings are stock and I'm not able to change anything due to secure boot.

Update:

I got Into the BIOS with the aforementioned trick and activated DOCP. (I got an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x) - for Intel it would be XMP - and now it just works.

Before that I did an CMOS reset and just recently updated my BIOS.