Game not reporting GPU usage to the system, causes 100% CPU and RAM usage

Jakub_NF

I downloaded Warzone 2 days ago to play with my friend but due to this bug I wasn't able to. As visible in screenshots the task manager only shows 2-3% GPU usage while it's always around 80% in Precision X1. I know that task manager is garbage at actually reporting what's going on but the problem is more complicated than that. Because the system doesn't see the GPU being used it tries to to throw all available resources at the task causing horrible stutters and freezes. On top of the game always using 100% CPU and nearly all RAM the GPU VRAM also seems to be maxed out in some cases. My fps are only around 10% lower than they should be but because the CPU is maxed out all the time is has no available resources to deal with sudden changes in the game so stuff like explosions or looking at an enemy player cause a 2-3 second freeze in 80% of the cases. I tried switching all the nvidia control panel settings, reinstalling the game on a different drive, reinstalling nvidia drivers, switching power management settings, all in-game settings, switching the GPU to the bottom PCIe slot, nothing helped. #

Specs: Gigabyte z390 Gaming X

i5-8600k @4.7GHz

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

16GB RAM @3600MHz

Game installed on C drive, Samsung 970 Evo Plus

bug.png

gpu usage.png

45 minutes ago, Jakub_NF said:

As visible in screenshots the task manager only shows 2-3% GPU usage while it's always around 80% in Precision X1. I know that task manager is garbage at actually reporting what's going on but the problem is more complicated than that. Because the system doesn't see the GPU being used it tries to to throw all available resources at the task causing horrible stutters and freezes.

As you pretty much said yourself, the task manager report is completely unrelated, its something else going on here.

For example, if you have an unlocked frame rate with vsync off then that can max out your CPU if its bottlenecking at the CPU rather than the GPU.

Using all your VRAM means nothing, some games will reserve all your VRAM and never use half of it, its just how they work.

Although there are plenty of results of this problem on Google for Warzone so it seems its a very resource intensive game.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

For example, if you have an unlocked frame rate with vsync off then that can max out your CPU if its bottlenecking at the CPU rather than the GPU.

That's not it, it starts using 100% CPU and RAM as soon as I launch the game. I also tried with g-sync on and uncapped.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:35 PM, Jakub_NF said:

That's not it, it starts using 100% CPU and RAM as soon as I launch the game. I also tried with g-sync on and uncapped.

Like I said though, if you hit Google there are TONS of reports of this issue in the game.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Well you aren’t watching per core. 

My cpu goes to max when I launch the game too. And stays there while shaders load. Don’t see a problem with that. Even gameplay a few cores are at or near max. 

Also doesn’t matter if Windows isn’t showing use. As you aren’t on the gpu menu to see how it’s broke down in its usage. Also isn’t gonna effect anything what so ever. 

Aside from trying some fixes others say helped I don’t see much of an issue. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 11/23/2020 at 7:36 AM, Mick Naughty said:

Well you aren’t watching per core. 

My cpu goes to max when I launch the game too. And stays there while shaders load. Don’t see a problem with that. Even gameplay a few cores are at or near max. 

Also doesn’t matter if Windows isn’t showing use. As you aren’t on the gpu menu to see how it’s broke down in its usage. Also isn’t gonna effect anything what so ever. 

Aside from trying some fixes others say helped I don’t see much of an issue. 

The issue is that all 6 cores are pinned at 100% and every time I look at an enemy or in their general direction my game freezes and only comes back when I'm either dead or that person isn't near me anymore. 

On 11/23/2020 at 1:34 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Like I said though, if you hit Google there are TONS of reports of this issue in the game.

And none of them have a solution. That's why I tried my luck here