Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Privacy/ethics: Are you doing anything to get the big five out of your life?

...by which I mean Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon. They have some very questionable business practices.

Personally, I have a complete boycott of Amazon and Facebook, with the exception of WhatsApp which I have to use because I need to keep in touch with some friends who are very reluctant to switch platforms. I only use Microsoft products when I'm forced to - e.g. to join a Teams meeting - and I don't use a personal "account" with them (if I have to log in, it's with an organisation license). I have replaced Windows on my personal machine with Linux. As for Google, I do still use some of their services, but I have turned off all of the tracking and personalised advertisment options, and I try to avoid giving them more of my sensitive information than I have to.

I just also want to say, please don't use this thread as an excuse to judge people on their opinions, that's not what I created it for.

I HATE DAVINCI RESOLVE

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

google and amazon are the last two that I really need to come up with a plan for, but as a linux dabbling android using facebook hater, I don't feel like I'm doing so bad

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

59 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

-snip-

I've never actually used facebook and left Apple several years ago but still use Google and Amazon services regularly as well as using Windows 10 (though I've disabled as much microsoft bullshit and telemetry as I can). Switching to linux isn't completely out of the question for me in fact, I might try it pretty soon. As for Google I don't really have a plan, I use XPrivacyLua on my phone to try and give as little as possible but obviously I also use google docs/youtube a lot so.... Amazon isn't a huge deal to me as all I order is random adapters, pc parts, etc. I don't use any of Amazon's other services like Prime Video or Music.

Current:
Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 5.0GHz/(~4.7GHz) all cores 
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W) @ 1995MHz/(~1900MHz)
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3200Mhz

Storage: 512GB PRO-X-G2R NVMe SSD, 4TB WD Passport USB-C
Displays: IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz

Dell Poweredge R720 (Server):
CPUs: 2x Xeon E5-2667v2 @ 3.6Ghz all cores
RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) @ 1333Mhz

Storage: 1x Intel 160GB SATA III SSD, 15x Seagate SAS Enterprise 1TB HDD in RAID 6

Old:

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1Rx:
CPU: i7-9750h @ 4.0GHz all cores
GPU: RTX 2070 @ 2004Mhz/(~1650Mhz)
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2666Mhz
Storage: 512GB HP SX920, 4TB WD Passport USB-C
Displays: BOE NV173FHM-N44 1080p@144Hz, Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz
Custom SFF AMD Sleeper (Parted out and sold/sent to friends)
Dell Precision M6700 (both GPUs died, among other issues, officially shelved for now...)

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

...by which I mean Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon. They have some very questionable business practices.

I don't own anything made by Apple and I just have no use for Facebook or Amazon. It's not even about privacy, I just don't have any use for those three.

I do use plenty of Microsoft's stuff and, given that I have an Android-phone, I couldn't get rid of Google even if I wanted to. Microsoft's Game Pass For PC is great, I love VSCode, I use Github, I use Windows and so on, so can't get rid of Microsoft, either. Not that I'd even want to.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I'm not, way too late at this point when all of them have all of my data anyways. Getting a completely new life would not be worth it.