Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Switching to SSD as boot drive. What will happen to programs already on my HDD?

So I recently ordered an SSD to replace my current HDD as my boot drive and I wanted to know what will happen to the programs already on my HDD. From Chrome to Steam (including all the games), they're all stored on the HDD. Will they still function as normal once the SSD becomes the boot drive? Furthermore, how do I move all these files to my SSD? Do I just click and drag them into the SSD? My HDD is also partitioned into two (C: and D:), what will happen to them once the SSD becomes the boot drive? What happens to the Windows files in the (C:) drive?

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

So I recently ordered an SSD to replace my current HDD as my boot drive and I wanted to know what will happen to the programs already on my HDD. From Chrome to Steam (including all the games), they're all stored on the HDD. Will they still function as normal once the SSD becomes the boot drive? Furthermore, how do I move all these files to my SSD? Do I just click and drag them into the SSD? My HDD is also partitioned into two (C: and D:), what will happen to them once the SSD becomes the boot drive? What happens to the Windows files in the (C:) drive?

 

Thanks.

For your Steam games you can just add your Steam directory that's on your HDD (labeled D drive after installing Windows on the SSD) as another Library Folder. Steam will automatically link any games installed on the HDD so they're ready to launch without any reinstallation.

Moving a Steam Installation and Games - General Troubleshooting - Knowledge Base - Steam Support (steampowered.com)

 

For other programs, you'll need to reinstall them once you have Windows installed on your SSD as most applications are not portable. 

 

When you're installing Windows, I would recommend unplugging your old HDD just so you or Windows does not get confused on where you want your Windows files to go. It'll also prevent you from accidentally formatting your HDD which I've done before. Not the end of the world, but you'll just save you the hassle of recovering partitions afterwards.

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

For other programs, you'll need to reinstall them once you have Windows installed on your SSD as most applications are not portable. 

Does this include NVIDIA drivers, as well as programs like Speccy, MSI Afterburner, CPU-Z and GPU-Z (these four programs' files are all in my HDD)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

Does this include NVIDIA drivers, as well as programs like Speccy, MSI Afterburner, CPU-Z and GPU-Z (these four programs' files are all in my HDD)?

Nope. Those would have to be reinstalled. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Nope. Those would have to be reinstalled. 

Slightly off topic, but should I test the SSD once it arrives before trying to install Windows on it? If so, using what program?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always CLONE your C partition to SSD.
There are bunch of programs which can do that.

There is only one catch.

Your C partition should be equal size or smaller than your new SSD.

If your SSD is 250GB, be sure to resize C drive to 250GB or less.

Cause when cloning, program sees your C drive as HDD of for example 500GB and tries to clone complete 500GB to SSD of 250GB which is physically impossible.

Therefore, you should resize your C drive to a size smaller or equal to the size of SSD.

 

Check this out.

I heard that coffee's good for my sex life.

 

It isn't.

It kept me awake through the whole damn thing!

I actually had to participate.

 

- Jeff Dunham -

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×