Hiren's BootCD - Increase live-booted OS partition size

Ostbollen

UPDATE:

It seams that I've been defeated. You can only add up to 512mb of extra space to the ramdisk.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-mount-and-customize#add-temporary-storage-scratch-space

Since the drivers always go into the windows-folder (in this case on the ramdisk) there's no way for me to just temporary install the driver like I wanted.

Thanks for the help anyway guys!

---------------------------------------------

Hello,

I love HBCD for a lot of reasons, and I use it all the time to troubleshooting.

I'd consider myself pretty tech savvy, but now unfortunately I'm stuck.

I need to install some drivers that cannot fit on the default size live-booted partition for HBCD (about 260mb, drive x on images below).

Looking in diskpart - the drive (x) is not shown. The same goes for the included hard disk tools (maybe because it's a partition from a removable media?) 

You guys have any tips for me?

image.thumb.png.bc6e0539be615d26d219e2e69ecdb211.png

Disk 1 should display the dive named "Boot". letter X, since it's part of that removable media/disk (?)

image.thumb.png.3fe3dc5e8f191ac8243f4ed82aa2b299.png

Edited by Ostbollen

For partition purpose, I always just use Gparted, you should be able to see and set, the "boot" partition in there. As well as the partitions that may be hidden.

But seriously... what driver are you trying to forcefully install, that doesn't fit on the boot partition??? Drivers are usually relatively small and from your own screens, that "boot" partition is no where near being full.

That said... Why would it be on the flash drive? Is this a driver that you want to install... On your HBCD flash drive? That's the thing that confused me to all hell here. Why would the boot partition be on the Disk 1 and not Disk 0 ? HBCD runs on the RAM as well, if this is in HBCD, you may well be seeing a ramdisk.

Does X go away the moment you remove the Flash Drive? Is it still there when booted into Windows?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

16 hours ago, TetraSky said:

For partition purpose, I always just use Gparted, you should be able to see and set, the "boot" partition in there. As well as the partitions that may be hidden.

But seriously... what driver are you trying to forcefully install, that doesn't fit on the boot partition??? Drivers are usually relatively small and from your own screens, that "boot" partition is no where near being full.

That said... Why would it be on the flash drive? Is this a driver that you want to install... On your HBCD flash drive? That's the thing that confused me to all hell here. Why would the boot partition be on the Disk 1 and not Disk 0 ? HBCD runs on the RAM as well, if this is in HBCD, you may well be seeing a ramdisk.

Does X go away the moment you remove the Flash Drive? Is it still there when booted into Windows?

Currently this machine have some issues playing videos, and I'm not sure it's a SSD issue (HP have had some issues with this model) or a GPU issue.

Everything seams to be working when booting HBCD from the USB, so it could definitely be the SSD. However, since there are only some very basic Gpu drivers loaded while using HBCD, it could also be the GPU drivers that's acting up. I'm now trying to install the drivers when running HBCD to take that part out of the equation.

You're probably correct - the boot disk here is most likely the ramdisk. But I've got 32GB RAM and should then be able to increase the size(?)

I am very confused on what your trying to do here. The "500mb" partition is the Recovery partition for various Windows related recovery tasks. I would expect it to be read-only.

The boot partition in the case of your Current Windows Install should be nothing more than a bootable EFI Fat32 Partition, mainly housing the EFI boot scripts.

Any Drivers you install will install to The Global File-system "C:", nothing should have a reason to touch the EFI Partition itself. According to your disk stats above, you should have plenty of room to install whatever driver your trying to install.

You may be better off posting what the actual error is your recieving.

16 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I am very confused on what your trying to do here. The "500mb" partition is the Recovery partition for various Windows related recovery tasks. I would expect it to be read-only.

The boot partition in the case of your Current Windows Install should be nothing more than a bootable EFI Fat32 Partition, mainly housing the EFI boot scripts.

Any Drivers you install will install to The Global File-system "C:", nothing should have a reason to touch the EFI Partition itself. According to your disk stats above, you should have plenty of room to install whatever driver your trying to install.

You may be better off posting what the actual error is your recieving.

I'm on my phone atm, so I cannot post any prints, but the issue is that pnputil says "not enough disk space" while trying to install the Intel gpu drivers. I was just assuming that the drivers where installed to x:\windows.. since I thought that this was the live booted windows root(?)

13 hours ago, Ostbollen said:

I'm on my phone atm, so I cannot post any prints, but the issue is that pnputil says "not enough disk space" while trying to install the Intel gpu drivers. I was just assuming that the drivers where installed to x:\windows.. since I thought that this was the live booted windows root(?)

normally the gpu drives are on the main c drive, not the boot partition, so I don't see how this is gonna help

Why not instll the gpu driver when your booted normally into the os

The boot partition only needs enough drivers to load the os from disk, once the main disk can be mounted, it can load drivers from the c drive.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

normally the gpu drives are on the main c drive, not the boot partition, so I don't see how this is gonna help

Why not instll the gpu driver when your booted normally into the os

The boot partition only needs enough drivers to load the os from disk, once the main disk can be mounted, it can load drivers from the c drive.

Normally drivers are installed to c drive, sure - but only because your active OS would be there, correct?

Now I've live-booted the OS from my USB, which is active/installed on the x drive.

Maybe I'm just confusing you guys while saying "boot drive". I'm referring to the name of the drive with letter X, which contains the live booted OS.

I want to be able to install these drivers without affecting my regular image on drive c.

7 hours ago, Ostbollen said:

Normally drivers are installed to c drive, sure - but only because your active OS would be there, correct?

Now I've live-booted the OS from my USB, which is active/installed on the x drive.

Maybe I'm just confusing you guys while saying "boot drive". I'm referring to the name of the drive with letter X, which contains the live booted OS.

I want to be able to install these drivers without affecting my regular image on drive c.

Really just install drives on the C drive like you regularly would

I don't see any drive lerrer X in use in your screen shots.

Do you want the drive to be used in the normal os or the live disk?

30 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Really just install drives on the C drive like you regularly would

I don't see any drive lerrer X in use in your screen shots.

Do you want the drive to be used in the normal os or the live disk?

I only want the driver to be used on the live disk, which is why I don't want to install to C:\

Can you really install a driver to another disk (that's not the active OS)? I cannot see any parameter for pnputil to specify an install location.

image.thumb.png.af66dde5140eac90b94024c20cc2b3c9.png

3 minutes ago, Ostbollen said:

I only want the driver to be used on the live disk, which is why I don't want to install to C:\

image.thumb.png.af66dde5140eac90b94024c20cc2b3c9.png

then you dont' wanna do it in the os, you wan to edit that(wim I believe) file and inject the driver in there. 

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then you dont' wanna do it in the os, you wan to edit that(wim I believe) file and inject the driver in there. 

That would make it more of a permanent thing.

The wim is more or less a compressed windows installation/installer that's unpacked to my ramdisk when booting this live-image, correct?

Which means that everything I install to my ramdisk, the disk drive x in this case, would be removed when rebooting, right? Well - this is more what I want.

Maybe it's impossible?

UPDATE:

It seams that I've been defeated. You can only add up to 512mb of extra space to the ramdisk.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-mount-and-customize#add-temporary-storage-scratch-space

Since the drivers always go into the windows-folder (in this case on the ramdisk) there's no way for me to just temporary install the driver like I wanted.

Thanks for the help anyway!