Securely look at the contents of old HDDs.

Mihle

I have som HDDs from the old family PC, from before 2013 probably, that I want to look at the contents at to see if I can find any photos that isnt other places.

They are 2 500gb drives, neither of them was the OS drive itself.

I was young when that was in use so I do not know if it could have any viruses or not, but they would not have any intentional things on them

How would I go about looking at the contents secure way?

And I have no idea if those two was in a RAID or not, how would I see that and deal with that?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Hmm.... maybe use linux via bootable usb stick?

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

1 minute ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Hmm.... maybe use linux via bootable usb stick?

Is that secure even if other storage devices is connected too?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Is that secure even if other storage devices is connected too?

Actually not too sure about that really. Maybe you can disable the other drives via the bios. Or maybe if you're a bit skeptical disconnected them first. It will be a haggle with m.2 ssd though.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

12 hours ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Actually not too sure about that really. Maybe you can disable the other drives via the bios. Or maybe if you're a bit skeptical disconnected them first. It will be a haggle with m.2 ssd though.

I do have m.2, is it safe to disable them on bios?

-Stephen Hawking