Want Windows 10 on your new M1 Mac? Ask Microsoft, Not Apple

Summary

Basically, the M1 Macs are capable of running Windows 10 on ARM natively, it's up to Microsoft to support it

Quotes

As for Windows running natively on the machine, "that's really up to Microsoft," he said. "We have the core technologies for them to do that, to run their ARM version of Windows, which in turn of course supports x86 user mode applications. But that's a decision Microsoft has to make, to bring to license that technology for users to run on these Macs. But the Macs are certainly very capable of it."

My thoughts

Right now, the likes of Parallels and WMware Fusion isn't running well on M1 Macs maybe because virtualization programs for x86 is much more diffcult to translate than a video editor.

ARM chips have supported virtualization for years already and it's no secret that this is how Apple showed how devs can run other operating systems like Linux.

While Bootcamp maybe gone at the moment for M1 Macs, Apple could bring it back should Microsoft wishes to do so. But at the state of W10 on ARM, I doubt anyone would want to dabble with that considering that WoA has been around since 2012 and so far (first it was Windows RT, then Windows 10 on ARM), little progress has been made. Even the reviews of the current ARM PCs with Snapdragon chips, many will tell that x86 emulation costs a huge performance penalty. As I've said once in a status update reply, Apple succeeded where Microsoft failed. Maybe this time when ARM on PCs getting more attention and the likes of Qualcomm and even Huawei who is now making desktop ARM chips, maybe more developers port their programs to ARM64. It doesn't even need to be a UWP app afaik to run natively on Windows 10 PC with an ARM chip. Maybe that will be the time when Apple brings back Bootcamp to AS Macs.

So far, if you are currently holding on to an Intel based Mac because of Bootcamp, Apple assured that support will continue for "years to come"  which is quite vague. How many years is "many years to come"? Will it be like PowerPC which only got Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard? Craig Federighi said the following:

From a software point of view, we haven't created a branch of macOS. There's not the version of macOS for M1-based Macs and a different version of macOS for intel. They're literally the same installer. It's the same source tree. It's the same OS we're building every night. It's a single project, and that will continue to be the case. 

So as we build next year's [major macOS release] and so forth, we're building it as a universal OS that works on both systems. And so, if you buy an Intel Mac today, or if you already own one, you're going to continue—just as you would have expected—getting free macOS upgrades for years to come.

Back when Apple transitioned to Intel chips in 2005, Macs became "just another PC", now there's more than differentiates a Mac from PC OEMs with their own ARM chips.

Sources

9to5 Mac, Ars Technica

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

The best burn for Apple users is to install Windows on a Mac then walk around various coffee shops and use it.

Maybe even make a laptop sticker with the following? WinMac or Macdows... or something else funny to slap on there.

*edit

Disclaimer: I am not anti-apple but I seldom get to make apple jokes so here is my once-a-year attempt.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Microsoft at this time would only need to state “we’re working on it” and take their time to do it.

But would their PC OEM partners be happy about this?

And would their Surface hardware division be happy about such an announcement?

A lot of people would just switch to M1 Macs if they had the peace of mind of being able to run the occasional XYZ program that’s not available on macOS. 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Maybe even make a laptop sticker with the following? WinMac or Macdows... or something else funny to slap on there.

I once placed an Apple sticker on my old Toshiba laptop back in college xD

4 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

But would their PC OEM partners be happy about this?

Why wouldn't they? It's not like the Mac market share is huge. Chances are the likes of Dell, Asus, etc will continue to ignore WoA until they see developer adoption.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

evaluate Windows on ARM on a not pathetic CPU

Maybe AMD can do it since they have an ARM license. Or maybe Intel can bring Itanium/IA-64 to consumer CPUs as an ARM challenger? :P

18 minutes ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Or maybe Intel can bring Itanium/IA-64 to consumer CPUs as an ARM challenger? :P

hpe already has enough issues, they don't to make more systems with different architectures 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

34 minutes ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Why wouldn't they? It's not like the Mac market share is huge.

That’s the old world.

In this brave new world of the Macs being superior performance wise and battery life wise in an unequivocal manner, all bets are off.

What if the proportions in the market share just “recalibrate” a bit. That could still mean billions $ lost for some.

A lot of Intel Macs adoption in 2006 was driven by the peace of mind of being able to use Windows programs (whether in VMs or just restarting and booting Windows on bare metal)..nowadays it’s probably less important but it may be the tipping point for some of the potential switchers..

I don't think x86 or Windows are inherently bad. The thing is, there is a big disconnect between software and/or hardware. Either software is so far ahead you have to wait for hardware to catch up or it's the hardware so ahead you are waiting for software to catch up. And it's rarely when both are perfectly in sync. With Apple on the other hand, software AND hardware are perfectly in sync basically 99% of the time. Even during current transition phase, they are at 80% synchronicity. Windows was at like 25% at best when they just transitioned from Win9x to WinNT architecture. So much stuff was broken and so much stuff you had to wait to get updated and some of it never got updated like all the games shitting their pants because they had SafeDisc DRM shoved in and its protection driver was a total poo that refused to run on new WinNT architecture. Or the other way where AMD released "moar cores" with Ryzen and we had to wait for ages for Windows to catch up that all of a sudden we have all these cores available. And because it was a novel CCX design, Windows not understanding the concept of cores arrangement it was sub optimal. Or for new Intel's big and little cores design. Most of the stuff will have problems with that and we won't get optimal results for a while. And I'm only talking about OS! Where are all the apps understanding how CPU works and what OS offers via that. Apple made sure their new big and small core design was perfectly understood by the OS on launch and also made sure transition for apps will be much painless.

We need more of that on Windows (and Linux) PC's, but I can't see how since Apple is one entity maintaining hardware and OS now entirely. Windows/Linux PC's have this massive disconnect between hardware vendors and software vendors and that's the real problem, not x86 or whatever.

I'll give it 6 months tops before some modder releases a method to run Windows ARM on the M1 macs. It will run even worse than Windows ARM does normally but it will happen.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'll give it 6 months tops before some modder releases a method to run Windows ARM on the M1 macs. It will run even worse than Windows ARM does normally but it will happen.

6 months? I'd be surprised if there isn't something by Christmas.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I don't think x86 or Windows are inherently bad. The thing is, there is a big disconnect between software and/or hardware. Either software is so far ahead you have to wait for hardware to catch up or it's the hardware so ahead you are waiting for software to catch up. And it's rarely when both are perfectly in sync. With Apple on the other hand, software AND hardware are perfectly in sync basically 99% of the time. Even during current transition phase, they are at 80% synchronicity. Windows was at like 25% at best when they just transitioned from Win9x to WinNT architecture. So much stuff was broken and so much stuff you had to wait to get updated and some of it never got updated like all the games shitting their pants because they had SafeDisc DRM shoved in and its protection driver was a total poo that refused to run on new WinNT architecture. Or the other way where AMD released "moar cores" with Ryzen and we had to wait for ages for Windows to catch up that all of a sudden we have all these cores available. And because it was a novel CCX design, Windows not understanding the concept of cores arrangement it was sub optimal. Or for new Intel's big and little cores design. Most of the stuff will have problems with that and we won't get optimal results for a while. And I'm only talking about OS! Where are all the apps understanding how CPU works and what OS offers via that. Apple made sure their new big and small core design was perfectly understood by the OS on launch and also made sure transition for apps will be much painless.

We need more of that on Windows (and Linux) PC's, but I can't see how since Apple is one entity maintaining hardware and OS now entirely. Windows/Linux PC's have this massive disconnect between hardware vendors and software vendors and that's the real problem, not x86 or whatever.

Another way to look at this: these Macs are now “consoles”. Like a PS3 if all its exotic hardware was also super easy to leverage by software devs. 

AS Macs are “personal computing consoles”. But contrary to gaming consoles which usually see 0 or recently 1 more powerful hw revision over 7 years, a new more powerful hardware revision of AS Macs will be released three times a year (M1, M1X, M1T, then M2, M2X, M2T, then M3, M3X, M3T, etc., I’m not counting the MacPro that will probably have longer update cycles). How can “regular” (fully modular and abiding to industry standards) PCs  (x86 or not) keep up with these Mac consoles that get released yearly at a competitive performance-per-$ and (and this is where the x86 part maybe does matter) crazy good performance-per-Watt?

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCM41fp8TmpzFZazwg8oy

Unless Intel really does want to kill their business lol.

Still can't believe the length of HP's contract with Intel...trying to ship a product that was damn near DOA for so many years.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I was just thinking about this, being how MS already has experience with Windows on ARM and existing chips are just crap really. I would 've expected Apple would lock such a thing. But yeah would be awesome to see this. I feel MS is kinda slacking, they really should focus on such a thing more. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think this was always the case for WoA and ASi. Microsoft, for some reason, just refuses to license their ARM Operating Systems to end users. First with Windows RT, now with Windows 10. I mean, you could make the argument that before this, the only ARM devices that didn't come with Windows 10 by default were devices like the Raspberry Pi, but now that Apple is moving to ARM SOCs, there's going to be millions of these consumer-level computers, and I'd assume thousands of them would love to use Windows on their Mac.

If this were to happen, though, I think Apple would take a backseat approach to it. Apple's focus on Bootcamp has been slowly dying, even leading up to the 16" MacBook Pro where Apple just stopped making drivers and gave AMD that responsibility (a responsibility they failed to deliver on). It would definitely have to be Microsoft who makes the drivers, in collaboration with the hardware team at Apple, not the other way around.

It's good to see that people's fears of ASi being locked down to hell are being slowly quenched. That was always the case, they mentioned it back in WWDC. By default, the Macs would come with an iPhone/iBoot level of Secure Boot, making 3rd party installs practically impossible. But, with a terminal command, you can turn it off. People are already working on custom bootloaders to boot Linux on it. I think I heard people at Checkra1n are porting their iPhone bootloader pongOS to the Mac. I'd assume we'd see the first teaser/success by December, and maybe a public release by new years.

What I'm saying is the next few years are going to be great for ARM.

lol why buy a mac just to install windows on it? 

apple will be happy to sell macbooks to the 0.1% who would be dumb enough to do it and make that profit they otherwise would not be making

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

I wanted to ask my previous employer to do that, but didn't get a chance before I was out of there. We had a choice, Dell or Apple. That's it. The Dells they were offering really sucked compared to Apple, which is saying something. Having it dual boot straight into Windows would have likely given me a better experience than the Dell. My old Dell was way beyond replacement cycle but the bean counters forced it to be stretched way long. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

The best burn for Apple users is to install Windows on a Mac then walk around various coffee shops and use it.

*edit

Disclaimer: I am not anti-apple but I seldom get to make apple jokes so here is my once-a-year attempt.

i have had a 2015 macbook pro i got as a gift since new.

I've run bare metal linux on it ever since, and I have a Linux KVM virtualized windows OS in case I need windows for something. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don’t see it happening with how few people actually use bootcamp now. It was a widely used feature until VM software started integrating direct hardware access.

Now the vast majority use Parallels or VMware. Much easier to spin up a VM that runs nearly at native performance than it is to reboot into Windows.

Hell, with Parallels you can stick Windows apps on the dock and just click them like any other program and they will open in a regular window and keep the rest of the VM hidden. You don’t even have to look at the Windows desktop UI at all.

AEB34214-0A6F-4381-A07F-76F9FD90A136.png

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Hell, with Parallels you can stick Windows apps on the dock and just click them like any other program and they will open in a regular window and keep the rest of the VM hidden. You don’t even have to look at the Windows desktop UI at all.

Too bad neither Parallels nor VMWare Fusion works on M1 Macs even with Rosetta 2

Also, the best performance is always seen when an OS runs on bare metal instead of being virtualized

I guess that makes sense. I mean, the ability to run Windows on a Mac natively is a big plus though. To be fair, I am not going to be buying an Apple computer anyway so I don't care, but I feel like that is something that should be able to happen. Anyway, I'll quit yapping now. 

2 hours ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Too bad neither Parallels nor VMWare Fusion works on M1 Macs even with Rosetta 2

Also, the best performance is always seen when an OS runs on bare metal instead of being virtualized

Parallels is already running beta for M1 and is expected to release soon, so that's kind of a non issue. 

Parallels also has direct hardware access, so your point on "bare metal" is kind of moot when running my Windows 10 VM nets only like a 8% loss in performance (this is how people comfortably game on it). Have a look for yourself:

1575663698_ScreenShot2020-11-21at11_43_54PM.thumb.png.96c06deaa9c1e9e1454de71005ea0ea8.png

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Thats probably a hint they've dont it, but just can't say because licensing. 

11 hours ago, avg123 said:

It's one of the selling points of the Mac during the "Get a Mac campaign" that lasted from 2006-2009; being able to easily run two operating systems natively thanks to Boot Camp Assistant

Boot Camp on MacBooks

14 hours ago, avg123 said:

So many people did this back around 2010 and earlier, MacBook Pros were leagues ahead of pretty well every other laptop and also had very strong looks appeal so were very compelling option for many.

The only issue I had was when people wanted to dual boot on network managed installations, going in to detail isn't really necessary but suffice to say I fought very hard, and won, that if you buy a Mac you shall run Mac OS. Took a while to get that win but my life was so much better afterward, dual booting is more than twice the support requirement of the device.

But overall if something had good hardware or the capability to do so why should you care if someone does it or try to stop them. At least if they have Apple hardware they might be more likely to give Mac OS a try at some point, more likely than if they did not have Apple hardware.