Not so Red and Rosy in Open-Source Land: RX 6800 problems on Linux?

tim0901

Summary:

Youtuber Linux For Everyone has published a video outlying his experience getting the RX 6800 GPUs running on Linux, and to say it hasn't been positive would be an understatement.

I could not get these cards to run properly under Linux, and I had help from AMD [...] and I had help from the head of graphics at Red Hat.

While reviewers were supplied with instructions on how to install the reviewer drivers for Linux, it appears that not everyone has been able to get them working, even when using popular distributions like Ubuntu - one of the distros that AMD officially supports. After struggling for a while L4E got assistance from people at AMD, who provided even simpler step-by-step instructions for Ubuntu installation, and yet the cards still would not work properly - despite working flawlessly on Windows.

While getting help from people at Red Hat, it became clear that nobody at Red Hat got cards early. A quote from a Red Hat employee is the following:

We normally recieve pre-production hardware from vendors like AMD under NDA. Not sure why the cards are coming so late this time. [....] right now no-one can tell you if RX6800 will work with [Fedora] because none of us have been able to try.

L4E apparently isn't alone with having troubles with 6800 cards on Linux, with Schykle (creator working at University of Arizona) also having similar issues. However this does contrast with Wendell's experience over at Level1Techs, who seemed to have a pretty much flawless experience on Linux.

My thoughts:

With Wendell having such a good experience, my guess would be that it's a driver/hardware compatability issue, which is kind of understandable given how broad the PC hardware space is. But it still seems silly to me that AMD have been prioritising getting these cards into the hands of reviewers, rather than in the hands of OS developers like Red Hat. If I were going to get one of these cards for Linux, I would probably hold off for a few weeks and see if anything comes of this, although given the stock issues it's not like there's a choice on that one.

Source:

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Let be honest linux users are a small portion of the market so companies invest less into ensuring proper support for it compared to windows. They will probably be fixing this later as it likely wasn't caught because it worked for amd like it did for Wendel.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What a shame. Isnt Linux the only reason people buy graphics cards?

You might want to add a sarcasm tag to that. Someone's bound to think you're being serious.

Well Linux also not being priority as Windows though. It would really need to grow a lot, it's barely on radar vs Windows userbase and programs support. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

AMD have always been a shit show on GNU/Linux so I'm not surprised. 

Nvidia's official drivers may be closed source, but they are leagues ahead of anything you can get for AMD GPUs. 

Anyway, it's not like you can even get a hold of the 6000 series GPUs right now anyway. By the time people start getting a hold of these cards most of the major issues will probably be fixed. 

This is odd, given that Wendell and Michael of phoronix aka the man that most scrutinizes hardware on linux got the working flawless to the point of saying that it's the best launch for linux compatibility of AMD graphics. It's amusing that not even with the help of red hat engineers he had issue with the card

It could be that his card were borked though that would mean they shouldn't work in windows guessing he did that since I haven't watched the video

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Nvidia's official drivers may be closed source, but they are leagues ahead of anything you can get for AMD GPUs. 

and yet i've personally experienced the exact opposite.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

While this sucks. I'm happy the drivers for windows are actually decent (let's be honest, day 1 drivers from AMD were almost always awful).

And with Wendell having no issues it does look like the drivers for Linux aren't completely hopeless so there is hope!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I did not watch the video, but AMDGPU's support for the latest AMD cards is on mainstream already, but most distros haven't updated/backported such patches yet, so that's probably why he didn't get it to work.

In fact, AMD is working in trying to bring bits of their linux driver to windows, since it less of a mess and goes without the tons of legacy code they previously had.

Also, you don't need to install anything (drivers or programs) to get AMD working on linux, the drivers are already built into the kernel.

13 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

The open-source unofficial drivers are better than the official one, and they didn't have access to the hardware to test.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-rx6800-linux&num=2

There's no "unofficial" driver, AMDGPU is open sorce and has been developed with help from AMD themselves.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Anyway, it's not like you can even get a hold of the 6000 series GPUs right now anyway. By the time people start getting a hold of these cards most of the major issues will probably be fixed. 

AMD has top notch linux support since 2016 or so, it's pretty much plug and play. The only problem is that they usually send patches for the latests products outside of merge windows for the actual product launch, so you need to wait a week or two for everything to work.

As a nvidia user, it indeed works fine, just as fine as AMD's, but they are not free of issues either. Their latest driver didn't work on linux 5.9 until last week, so I had to uphold any kernel updates if I still wanted to use my GPU.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

I did not watch the video, but AMDGPU's support for the latest AMD cards is on mainstream already, but most distros haven't updated/backported such patches yet, so that's probably why he didn't get it to work.

Not the issue. He was given instructions on how to update this manually as a reviewer.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

1 hour ago, tim0901 said:

Not the issue. He was given instructions on how to update this manually as a reviewer.

Just saw the video, and that he tried with a rolling release distro (Rawhide). Well, in this case it surely is weird, but I honestly believe that's not due to drivers, otherwise we wouldn't have tons of other people already with cards working under linux.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I summon the one and only Linus Torvalds for his obligatory once-per-decade opinion piece on GPU manufacturers and their driver support 

I shall be offering free virtual popcorn in case he actually heeds my call

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

There's gonna be 40 really unhappy people. 

😔

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red