Can my psu hx750i catch fire / explode if its not strong enough?

w33dhit

Hello. 

Im getting msi gaming rtx 3090 trio next week, and all psu over 750 watt are sold out here in norway.. my current psu is hx750i, my question is with my current specs can my psu or any other pc parts catch on fire or explode if my psu isnt giving out enough power? I have googled a bit and peolpe say that bad quality psu might do so, and mine is good quality but low watt..

And no i wont overclock until 1200hxi psu is back in stock in my country but im scared to blow this pc up ..... Here my specs:

Msi meg z390 ace motherboard

i9 9900k

Msi geforce rtx 3090 gaming trio

32gig g.skill tridentz 3600mhz

Nzxt kraken x72

Corsair ll120 fans ( 4 of them ) 

Corsair ll140 fans ( 2 of them )

Corsair commander pro

Corsair hx 750i ( 750 watt psu )

samsung 970 evo plus 1tb m.2

samsung 970 pro 512gb m.2

Creative soundblaster z

corsair 570x rgb case

i was thinking maybe if i remove corsair commander pro and turn off all rgb lights may be a small hope?

thanks for any replies !

It won't catch fire as it has protection circuitry, it will just shut off immediately when too much power is drawn e.g. stress test

9 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

bad quality psu might do so,

Because they cheap out on protection circuitry and proper cooling for IC's e.g. heatsinks and everything is not rated for what they say

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

Just now, RTX 3090 said:

It won't catch fire as it has protection circuitry, it will just shut off immediately when too much power is drawn e.g. stress test

Because they cheap out on protection circuitry and proper cooling for IC's e.g. heatsinks and everything is not rated for what they say

Okok then i do not need to kind of worry for fire or other parts be damaged ? I can kind of push all parts in pc and start pc and like... Not worry ? Cause my worry level is like 11 out of 10 :( no explosion ???

BTW, you could just get the 1000w version,(here). It would be enough.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

Okok then i do not need to kind of worry for fire or other parts be damaged ? I can kind of push all parts in pc and start pc and like... Not worry ? Cause my worry level is like 11 out of 10 :( no explosion ???

25 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

Made by a reputable brand, should be fine. If it is not enough, it will power off or BSOD randomly

With the 3090 you will almost certainly need a more powerful PSU, a 1000w model will be perfect for it 

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

2 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Made by a reputable brand, should be fine. If it is not enough, it will power off or BSOD randomly

With the 3090 you will almost certainly need a more powerful PSU, a 1000w model will be perfect for it 

Okok thanks u for reply mate !!! Do u think if i buy the 1000watt i also can start overclock bigtime and there is will be enough juice ? I push my cpu to 5.0ghz, set the xmp profile ram, and smack gpu up to limit and is 1000watt be enough ?? :)

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

BTW, you could just get the 1000w version,(here). It would be enough.

Super srsly with overclocking like mentioned above ?? :) Thank u for answer m8 !!

6 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Made by a reputable brand

does not matter. 

35 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

HXi 750 will fine for that system. 

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=2768793

and the 1k watt version is available. dunno how much you were gonna spend on the 1200w version. 

or can allways grab the non-i version

2 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

Super srsly with overclocking like mentioned above ?? :) Thank u for answer m8 !!

whats your current cpu power draw? That would be the biggest thing. If its like 210w, its fine. if it's 250-300w, it may not be. THe 3090 can pull like 500 on it's intermittent spikes. Thats like 900w (no gpu oc and cpu pulling 300) on the psu, so it may hinge on how much the cpu pulls.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

does not matter. 

41 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

bull. A 50$ 1000w psu would do this. A 30$ 750w would do this.

no, the 3090 spikes can be > 500w, and that cpu can pull 250 under a heavy oc. Thats 750w before everything else.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

does not matter. 

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=2768793

and the 1k watt version is available. dunno how much you were gonna spend on the 1200w version. 

or can allways grab the non-i version

I checked all of them, the first one says on that site that it is in stock, but if u click link it says it will come next monday .. and the second link is on " fjernlager " idunno what is in english that word..

2 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

fjernlager

Remote storage?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

no, the 3090 spikes can be > 500w, and that cpu can pull 250 under a heavy oc. Thats 750w before everything else.

yes, and it will be fine. unless you for some reason do aida64 and furmark all the time......

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

bull. A 50$ 1000w psu would do this. A 30$ 750w would do this.

all i said was that brand does not matter...........?

and as we all know, brands dont matter. 

10 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

I checked all of them, the first one says on that site that it is in stock, but if u click link it says it will come next monday .. and the second link is on " fjernlager " idunno what is in english that word..

Proshop has it and you get it in at a reasonable timeframe. order it now, and you will probably have it by Friday. and the 750w unit will work fine untill then. 

edit: https://kl.ink/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1103&tracking=prisjakt

can also grab this instead i suppose. 

25 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Made by a reputable brand, should be fine.

In most cases, yes, a PSU by a reputable brand will be fine, but even reputable brands have their nukes! For example, EVGA makes the SuperNOVA series of PSUs, and many of them are pretty good, but their NEX lineup isn't amazing, and I wouldn't want their 400 W N1 PSU to occupy the same BUILDING as my PC (which, for a power supply, that dismal two year warranty should've been enough to make you reconsider).

I suppose a tier list is a fairly decent way to quickly look up if a PSU is good or not (A/B are good, C is fair if you're building a budget PC, D isn't good, and E is a nuke), but I always recommend looking at a thorough review of any product before you make your PC run off of it.

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Remote storage?

lol its like a storage but far away storage.. Hopefully the 1200i will come stock on monday and i will asap buy it ! Also , i tried to download corsair link but it only shows voltage ..

Also what i saw was that the hx1000 is in stock without the " i " at end, but if im going to put that much money in the psu ill just wait for the hx1200i , and have patience while the 3090 will sit infront of my face.... but if i know myself right i will install it and hope for the best.... lol... 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

yes, and it will be fine. unless you for some reason do aida64 and furmark all the time......

all i said was that brand does not matter...........?

and as we all know, brands dont matter. 

Proshop has it and you get it in at a reasonable timeframe. order it now, and you will probably have it by Friday. and the 750w unit will work fine untill then. 

edit: https://kl.ink/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1103&tracking=prisjakt

can also grab this instead i suppose. 

yeah that one u just send is without the " i " in the end, and if im going to put that much money in that psu i will wait and have patience ( if i can ) and just roll with the one i got now till rest is in stock. i really want the hx1200i so its kind of future proof too, as i have read with ur guys comments, i have good hope that it will work for the time being if i dont push my system hardcore... wich.... i might..............

8 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

i have good hope that it will work for the time being if i dont push my system hardcore... wich.... i might..............

just dont put and overclocked CPU on full load and full load 3090 at the same time. 

8 minutes ago, w33dhit said:

yeah that one u just send is without the " i " in the end, and if im going to put that much money in that psu i will wait and have patience ( if i can ) and just roll with the one i got now till rest is in stock. i really want the hx1200i so its kind of future proof too, as i have read with ur guys comments

if you want bonkers PSUs. just for a little extra, there is something neat you can get:

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=5533918 the DPP12, but at that point you might aswell just get the 1500w version. 

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=5533917 which is actually in stock over at Multicom. but at that point you could almost just go for the best PSU on the market. 

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4652296 this being pretty much the undisputed best PSU on the market atm. that you can easily get your hands on

edit:

worth noting you can just get a cheaper Straight Power 11 or similar, which you can essentially keep and use for the same ammount of time as the HXi without issue. same with the non-i. unless you really want the iCUE features, there isnt a notable reason to get the HXi

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

no, it happens under gaming loads too. Ans still, even after the bios update.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

no, it happens under gaming loads too. Ans still, even after the bios update.

are you reffering to the transient issues related to the 3090 that the HXi isnt affected by?

because i can point to 650w powersupplies that can run the 3090 just fine, and that would include a theroretical 650w hxi

17 hours ago, w33dhit said:

yeah that one u just send is without the " i " in the end, and if im going to put that much money in that psu i will wait and have patience ( if i can ) and just roll with the one i got now till rest is in stock. i really want the hx1200i so its kind of future proof too, as i have read with ur guys comments, i have good hope that it will work for the time being if i dont push my system hardcore... wich.... i might..............

Your HXI 750 will be fine for now.

Start overclocking and pushing that 3X 8 Pin 3090 and you may run out of PSU depending however.

I have a 3X 8 Pin 3080 with a 450W VBIOS so I have some idea of what these things can actually pull, or the whole system for that matter. That's 1st hand experience, not theory or from some post or YT video someone watched.

Yes, you can run out of PSU on the 750W you have, and it won't take very much effort either once you start overclocking.

for know it will be fine as I said.

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

are you reffering to the transient issues related to the 3090 that the HXi isnt affected by?

because i can point to 650w powersupplies that can run the 3090 just fine, and that would include a theroretical 650w hxi

650W really won't, I don't care which one it is, people saying they are either completely and totally FOS or they are under volt the hell out of them so they may as well just throw the GPUs in the trash if that's what they are doing because they are morons. 

A 750W is really pushing it for those 3X 8 Pin 3080's and 3090's, especially ocing and or with those 450W/500W+ VBIOS.

The OP is getting a 3X 8 PIn 3090....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

A 750W is really pushing it for those 3X 8 Pin 3080's and 3090's, especially ocing and or with those 450W/500W+ VBIOS.

yeah i wouldnt suggest overclocking the high powerlimit 3090s on these "mid wattage" PSUs, doesnt change the fact that there are 650w PSUs which can run the 3090 without issue. its not ideal, for a couple of reasons, but it does work.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

yeah i wouldnt suggest overclocking the high powerlimit 3090s on these "mid wattage" PSUs, doesnt change the fact that there are 650w PSUs which can run the 3090 without issue. its not ideal, for a couple of reasons, but it does work.

If they under volt them or they are the two 8 Pin vers. then maybe on a good day if the stars all line up right....

Other than that no way, they are testing fate and asking for trouble and it's coming for them...

And NO they will not NOT run a 3090's without issues in all cases.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

If they under volt them or they are the two 8 Pin vers. then maybe on a good day if the stars all line up right....

well, not really. you just need the right 650w powersupply. tho offcourse running something like a 9900k or 10900k at the same time really isnt a bright idea. 

3 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

And NO they will not NOT run a 3090's without issues in all cases.

i wouldnt claim that either. 

3 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Other than that no way, they are testing fate and asking for trouble and it's coming for them...

i would say its fine assuming they arent pushing wattage or are rutting other high wattage parts in conjunction. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well, not really. you just need the right 650w powersupply. tho offcourse running something like a 9900k or 10900k at the same time really isnt a bright idea. 

Send me that magical 650W PSU and I will show you how easy it is to overload it... Under my normal use. ;)

With my system and 3080 FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

Send me that magical 650W PSU and I will show you how easy it is to overload it... Under my normal use. ;)

dont really have access to something like a Whisper M. so cant exactly do that. 

and it can certainly be overloaded. 

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

With my system and 3080 FTW3 Ultra.

yeah i can see that system being able to overload it.