The problem with annoying ads aren't even done - YouTube will experiment with audio advertisements during background playback

williamcll
22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

This is surprising why? Google is an ad company. This is what they do. Provide ads. 

As more people are stuck at home consuming content, it only makes sense to ramp up any ad delivery mechanisms they have.

That's also why they've been playing around with the home page, and why we now see 15 second unskippable ads.

I'm surprised they charge so much for YouTube Premium. I wonder what it'd be like if they charged half the amount. I'd gladly pay $6/month, but $12/month seems like a lot more (even though in reality it's really not much at all). I'd imagine they did the math and that's where it makes sense vs just having ads displayed.

The only person you'll be hurting is yourself. They really don't care.

🤷‍♂️

I vaguely remember a board game where players were “advertisers” and could acquire money by placing ads but in doing so would acquire “gruntles” and if an advertiser acquired too many of them bad things happened.  This thread I think is evidence that YT is acquiring gruntles at a rate it was not doing before. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Everyone including Linus should be looking into Odysee.com (and LBRY, the underlying  driving tech if you're a nerd and are curious). It's the most youtube like without censorship, no ad model, completely open source, etc... it's truly the future.

22 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

Everyone including Linus should be looking into Odysee.com (and LBRY, the underlying  driving tech if you're a nerd and are curious). It's the most youtube like without censorship, no ad model, completely open source, etc... it's truly the future.

Lately though most of the complaints about censorship have turned out to be about being stopped for attempting to spread false information.  I’m not sure I mind that.  I don’t need my brain filled with BS. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

The only person you'll be hurting is yourself. They really don't care.

🤷‍♂️

Less than if I waste my life watching their ads for products I have zero interest in. Often I will go out of my way to avoid a product or service if I find the ad particularly annoying. Examples include Progressive insurance or Sonic. Their commercials seem to be designed to be purposefully annoying.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Lately though most of the complaints about censorship have turned out to be about being stopped for attempting to spread false information.  I’m not sure I mind that.  I don’t need my brain filled with BS. 

False. Anyway why not have everyone censor their own feed? False information like flat earthers, etc... you won't see cause it won't get traction. No one should say what is false or not for everyone else. People should come to your own conclusions. This has its own negative side effect but it far outweighs the alternative negative side effect of having people say what's right or wrong. You're entitled to disagree but I think you're wrong on this one cheif.

3 hours ago, Orcblood said:

False. Anyway why not have everyone censor their own feed? False information like flat earthers, etc... you won't see cause it won't get traction. No one should say what is false or not for everyone else. People should come to your own conclusions. This has its own negative side effect but it far outweighs the alternative negative side effect of having people say what's right or wrong. You're entitled to disagree but I think you're wrong on this one cheif.

I am seeing multiple points here all of which day to me that you feel that spreading false information is the purpose of the new channel:

1:  the people who have been censored for providing false information have not complained that this was the case

2: either such people providing false information would censor their own feed or I should do it myself with copious research not sure which

3: flat earther type information fails on its own lack of merit so will not appear to begin with

4: people should be allowed to spread false information to others

1 has proven to not happen, 2 has proven to not happen,  3 has proven to not happen,  only 4 is not something which has been shown through what has been happening in the world to be (sadly) false. 

I don’t think you think I’m wrong.  I do think you don’t like it.

I'm an old school Net admin from 90's and I block every advertisement I can at home. I had no clue YT had ads till about 2-3 years ago go. I got second hand apple iphone was learning how to set up ad blockers on that and noted ads in the YT app. It made me realize if I had to watch these ads and if SponsorBlock did not work I would not use YT as much. The day they block users that block ads is coming too, just like spotify.

So I just went on Youtube, went to LTT's channel and I can hear Linus talking about AMD Ryzen review, but I haven't clicked on anything. Refresh the page and he's still talking. Is this a glitch or am I getting a taste of what YouTube audio ads is going to be like. lol

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list