When a Chromecast isn't enough - Asus annouces new chrome OS based desktop

williamcll

When one think of chrome OS - they might think of a lot of linux based low end laptops that sells at a price higher than usual.  A few manufacturers the past year have released desktops that are made to run chromeOS since 2014, but most of them remain unpopular. Asus has elected to give this market a push.

The Asus Chromebox 4 comes with four different low voltage Intel CPU options. These include a 1.9 GHz Celeron 5205U; a 2.1 GHz Core i3-10110U; a 1.6 GHz Core i5-10210U and a 1.8 GHz Core i7-10510U. RAM is pre-configured with either 4 GB DDR4 SO-DIMM or 8 GB DDR4 SO-DIMM chips. Storage ranges from a basic 32 GB eMMC option through to a robust 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD for more demanding users and use cases. The Asus Chromebox 4 models come with a wide range of connectivity options.

image.thumb.png.036176c139ac49835fa9b1000e9304dd.png

These include 3x USB 3.1 Gen2 ports; a 1x USB 3.1 Gen1 USB-C port; a 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 port; 2x USB 2.0 ports; 1x USB 3.1 Gen1 USB-C port (USB 3.0/PowerDelivery/DisplayPort); 2x HDM1 ports; 1x microSD card slot, and 1x LAN (RJ45) port. Wireless connectivity is provided by way of a new Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) modem while the Chromebox 4 also supports dual-band Bluetooth 5.0. The new Asus Chromebox 4 series will go on sale in North America from December starting from US$289.

image.thumb.png.28d225d6ec182e7b7e642249f689afab.png

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-new-Chromebox-4-comes-in-Celeron-or-Core-flavors-of-Intel-s-10th-gen-silicon.505337.0.html
https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Mini-PCs/Chrome-OS-devices/ASUS-Chromebox-4/
Thoughts: The price is pretty attractive for a desktop that runs a laptop processor. It's certainly better than a lot of aliexpress dongles that I've tested before. the Mac mini might go a lot faster but this would certainly be a great media PC.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

My mom bought a chromebook recently and honestly it is really good for her. She basically only use her browser anyway and it's way easier and smoother for her. On top of that, her Android apps and games work on it too. 

I could see these machines being really good for a lot of users. 

Not sure I'd pick this over a laptop and dock though. The portability would probably be worth the slightly higher price. 

I've had a bit of fun with ChromeOS in a VM.

It's ok if all you do is 100% online anyway.

That said, why dual cores in 2020 (nearly 2021) ?

These lower end dual core machines are essentially DOA to me.

Even if it is just web browsing, there's still a huge benefit between dual and quad core, especially as you open more tabs and potentially have other apps open.

Might be fine for Grandma with her facebook, but if I was getting one of these to do any sort of "work" from home, I'd be disappointed to all hell.

It's barely better than the older N4000, which is also a chip found in chromebooks.

https://askgeek.io/en/cpus/vs/Intel_Celeron-5205U-vs-Intel_Celeron-N4000

(I know these "compare" sites suck ass, but the Passmark score is usually a good indication of a CPU performance when no proper benchmark is available to compare the two chip, I wouldn't even consider anything under 1500 in single core/thread performance in 2020)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What are the reasons to use ChromeOS instead of Windows?

Better performance. 

Less complicated. 

Support android apps. 

No risk for viruses or other malware. 

The drawbacks are really big too, like missing compatibility with (windows) software and it being very locked down, but it isn't for everyone. 

Really?

Yes it is very, very snappy even on low end hardware. 

It runs a very stripped down version of Gentoo. Even the BIOS/UEFI are stripped down with custom bootloaders. 

I was very surprised by how well my mom's N4200 based chromebook performed. 

It's important to note that I am talking about things like user interaction snappiness, boot times, lack of hiccups and stuff like that. I don't think ChromeOS would perform much better than a windows pc if you for example tried to decompress a large zip file. 

Isnt that what phones and tablets are for?

Well some things are more comfortable to do on a PC than on a phone. Editing a spreadsheet on a phone is a terrible experience. Firing up an Android app like Excel or Google Sheets is way more comfortable. 

It's also about having everything synchronized between your phone and laptop without even having to think about it. The stuff you do on your phone shows up on your pc and vice versa. 

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What are the reasons to use ChromeOS instead of Windows?

Cheapness.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It's important to note that I am talking about things like user interaction snappiness, boot times, lack of hiccups and stuff like that. I don't think ChromeOS would perform much better than a windows pc if you for example tried to decompress a large zip file. 

I wouldn't say it has better performance then, and instead say it has a more responsive GUI and OS in general. 

You can easily make Windows 10 incredibly fast by debloating it to run 20+ processes on boot instead of hundreds and with an SSD. 

At the end of the day ChromeOS is indeed great for those that only use WebApps and Browse around. 

14 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Even if it is just web browsing, there's still a huge benefit between dual and quad core, especially as you open more tabs and potentially have other apps open.

Plus they're about to be obsolete in terms of architecture as well

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Better performance. 

Better Performance i do not think so stabilty and responsiveness of the system,yeah sure its great but it becomes obsolete when you do a update 1 or 2 years later

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Less complicated. 

Windows and mac are not complicated when you are just doing basic things.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Support android apps. 

Not All Android apps would be supported especially ones she would probably use.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No risk for viruses or other malware.

Yeah Sure After the year of support for the bloddy thing. and also mac has much much better security in terms of itself and your data is secure and windows has a great security but not as great of the mac

I don’t get why someone would pay money for this.  A better machine capable of running the same software can be had from a junkyard for near nothing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

ah yes, ChromeTop

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)