Youtube making ads non-optional, will not pay non-partners

VascoM
10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

@Sauron

I actually find AdGuard to be much better. Easier to set that incredibly clunky uBlock with really stupid default list selection which I don't like at all. Plus, AdGuard has Stealth Mode which features few extra privacy features. I didn't like AdGuard before, but it's actually really nice.

ublock if foss, unintrusive and it works. don't really care about anything else personally

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Youtube/google just being themselves...

I have a strong feeling many people won't take kindly to this and will find alternative platforms.

14 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

@Sauron

I actually find AdGuard to be much better. Easier to set that incredibly clunky uBlock with really stupid default list selection which I don't like at all. Plus, AdGuard has Stealth Mode which features few extra privacy features. I didn't like AdGuard before, but it's actually really nice.

I don't know a lot about ad blockers, but do these actually block youtube ads too?

1 hour ago, steelo said:

I don't know a lot about ad blockers, but do these actually block youtube ads too?

PiHole. And Mozilla can kiss my ass with their DNS over HTTPS (DoH); i'm not using it 😏

Note: it only blocks banner ads. It doesn't stop spliced-in ads in the stream.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

ublock if foss, unintrusive and it works. don't really care about anything else personally

Just because something is open source it doesn't mean it's the best. I absolutely hate uBlock's dumb stock selection of pre-enabled lists that make no sense at all and interface is so clunky and clumsy and its dev is quite stubborn when it comes to practicality and ease of use and just assumes everyone's an expert. And all I asked him about was adding simple text labels to indicate Local and Remote blockers in interactive modes. Which are literally label-less fields to click on. Who designs anything this way and then argues it's already "perfect"? I was genuinely shocked he was actually arguing the request.

I don't find AdGuard any slower, but it's just sooooo much more convenient and friendly to configure and stock lists actually aren't stupid. I don'ot know why I was avoiding it and insisting with uBlock. Just to one day find out it's just so much better.

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Just because something is open source it doesn't mean it's the best.

Maybe not but at least it wont have nasty surprises hidden inside.... (unlike a closed source SW where you can only hope that the dev tells the truth and he/she is not a scumbag)

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

"The beating will continue until morale improves" -Youtube

Laughs in adblock and Youtube Vanced.

I still laugh at the Youtube app. You want to charge me to keep a video playing when my phone is locked?

Get. F**ked.

Edited by Trik'Stari
Spelling

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-Merged-

Two topics had good conversation and data in each OP so I'm keeping both

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

8 hours ago, StDragon said:

"The beating will continue until morale improves" -Youtube

8 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I don't like being friendly to ads.

This is pretty much it, just more censorship... 

7 hours ago, steelo said:

Youtube/google just being themselves...

I have a strong feeling many people won't take kindly to this and will find alternative platforms.

Well I agree with the first part, the second part is unlikely, because there are no alternatives, youtube / google / alphabet inc made sure of that, if one crops up they'll just buy it. 

Embrace Extend Extinguish. 

They learned from the best! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Here's an important question IMO. is it even legal in all parts of the world for Google to make money off someone else work without paying them? Yes i'm sure Google has put certain things in Youtube's terms of service, but those won't necessarily be legal everywhere.

Thankfully in Indonesia we get great family plan for YT premium

Considering the amount of hours we spend on YT, definitely worth spending the money

11 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

even more ads? youtube interrupts video's every 5 to 10 minutes to play ads in my experience, which is super annoying. i'm a big believer in supporting creators, so i don't enable adblock on it, but it's getting ever more tempting. having your video randomly interrupted for an ad every 5 or 10 minutes when you watch a lot of long content (30 minutes or longer) like me, it gets super annoying. 

Considering that advertisers implement tracking into their ads there is no way that i will let that code run.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Maybe not but at least it wont have nasty surprises hidden inside.... (unlike a closed source SW where you can only hope that the dev tells the truth and he/she is not a scumbag)

Neither you do in open source code unless you review it personally. Relying on others to point it out for you is a moot point. People who are experts in security or privacy will do that in closed source code too.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:26 PM, Fasauceome said:

Youtube then:

"We can't run ads on certain content because it hurts the brand image of the advertiser"

Youtube now:

"Sike"

Hmm, seems like the simple fix is to make sure your videos are always "not advertiser friendly" whatever that entails.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Relying on others to point it out for you is a moot point.

Its still better than a closed source app where you cant even decrypt what it sends......

On 11/19/2020 at 11:33 PM, Dissitesuxba11s said:

YouTube has ads?

*Checks adblocker is still on*

Yea it doesn't.

Sorry I have nothing productive to add to the conversation.

Indeed.

i have adblocker on my PC, but my TV doesnt. I really should get a Pi-Hole but its the family TV and im "not allowed to mess with it" :P

Its so infuriating that over the past year or so the number and length of unskipable adds has increased.

So glad adblock still works on PC.

Im all for creators actually recording adds into their videos, its an income after all, but the automated adds are just obnoxious.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

A while ago YouTube had an amount of ads on the videos I saw that I found acceptable, aka only short or skipable after 5 sec ads at the beginning or total end of the video.

But recently when YouTube have put more non skipable ads and ads in middle of the videos automatically (without youtuber spesifically doing it) it have become too much for me and I will probably be turning on and blocker on YouTube soon.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Its still better than a closed source app where you cant even decrypt what it sends......

Then how come everyone manages to find stuff in iOS, MacOS, Windows, MS Office and bunch of other stuff that's not open source, yet it's a very common thing?

It's just so fucking insane, honestly; we need a real competitor to Youtube but the problem is that there's no way for anybody but a big player to be able to support the infrastructure necessary to competently compete against Youtube.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:26 PM, Fasauceome said:

Youtube then:

"We can't run ads on certain content because it hurts the brand image of the advertiser"

Youtube now:

"Sike"

This is exactly what I was thinking about. Sure they can do whatever they want with their platform also since the platform is free...but I thought the reason these ppl weren't monetized was because they didn't meet their criteria...sooooo do we not care about the criteria anymore....or if the ads are on things they don't agree with? Or did they finally do what they should have done, and educated advertisers that just because an ad is before a video, the audience knows "that" ad is not some endorsement by the advertisers or the channel respectively.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Then how come everyone manages to find stuff in iOS, MacOS, Windows, MS Office and bunch of other stuff that's not open source, yet it's a very common thing?

Large numbers of people throwing large numbers of money and man hours at somthing plus they don;t allways find them especially quickly.