M1 Mac mini's with 10Gb ethernet listed in internal repair database

While the new Mac mini with the M1 chip is only available with Gigabit Ethernet, Apple has listed multiple M1-based Mac mini logic boards with 10 Gigabit Ethernet in an internal parts list for Apple Authorized Service Providers.

Linus just may get his wish after all. I suspected we might have to wait for an M1X Mac mini to get 10Gb but it looks like Apple is at least considering bolting 10Gb onto the M1 somehow. Here's hoping it will come out this year. There is a rumor about some sort of "Apple surprise" in December.....

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/20/apple-m1-mac-mini-10gb-ethernet-parts-list/

image.png

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/20/apple-m1-mac-mini-10gb-ethernet-parts-list/

10Gb ethernet for M1 Mac Mini ?????

Probably for a future, yet to be released model. Maybe they'll come out with a Pro version or something.

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yea so

It was the one thing he kept hammering it on, aside from expandable memory.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

t was the one thing he kept hammering it on, aside from expandable memory

Yeah but it's a mac mini what's 10gb going to do when the entire planets internet infrastructure is garbage anyway. 

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah but it's a mac mini what's 10gb going to do when the entire planets internet infrastructure is garbage anyway. 

Because locally you might have 10Gb switching capability and external storage. Zero people wanting or talking about 10Gb are thinking about internet use cases at all. 10Gb is also found on existing Intel Mac Mini's.

27 minutes ago, themacmeister said:

Post has been merged with the existing discussion thread.

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

Local network. LMG has 10gig around the office and is used for the editors to access their file server. They also have a dedicated 5gbps(?) fibre link to their ISP. They already use 10gig networking on their PCs, including their older mac mini's they use. Linus was disappointed that the new macs didn't have 10g networking options.

Just because you don't have a use for something doesn't mean other people don't.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Because locally you might have 10Gb switching capability and external storage. Zero people wanting or talking about 10Gb are thinking about internet use cases at all. 10Gb is also found on existing Intel Mac Mini's.

Yeah but nobody is transfering something to a mac mini at 10gb per second. Or any pc for that matter less your sending a single jpg from two pcie ssds.

I mean if you really want that first 100mbs of file to look like its transfering fast before it eventually runs out of cache and starts transfering just as slowly as it normally would then sure.... 10gb then

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Just because you don't have a use for something doesn't mean other people don't.

The irony of that statement. Let me just soak it in

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah but nobody is transfering something to a mac mini at 10gb per second. Or any pc for that matter less your sending a single jpg from two pcie ssds.

I mean if you really want that first 100mbs of file to look like its transfering fast before it eventually runs out of cache and starts transfering just as slowly as it normally would then sure.... 10gb then

I... what? Plenty of people use 10Gbit networking. Not everyone uses their computers to play games. Some people use them for professional reasons...

I routinely use 10Gbit networking to transfer large files over my network as well as downloads from the internet since I have 2Gbit fiber.

And you’re wrong on SSD speeds. Decent NVMe drives can handle north of 2.5GB/s sustained which would require something like 30Gbit networking to saturate.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

The irony of that statement. Let me just soak it in

Not really ironic.

I sure as hell don't have a use for a space rocket, but NASA does.

Some people absolutely require 10gb internet.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Not really ironic.

I typed a long thing but am just gonna not say it lol

25 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah your guess is as good as mine. It seemed like an odd thing to nitpick over....I can't really see a ton of Mac Mini users needing 10g networking.

Seems like one of those times where Linus sees his niche need disappearing, and forgets that the average person that's watching the review doesn't care about 10g networking. The classic reviewer dilemma. They see tons of tech on a regular basis and lose touch with the average consumer.

19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Post has been merged with the existing discussion thread.

Local network. LMG has 10gig around the office and is used for the editors to access their file server. They also have a dedicated 5gbps(?) fibre link to their ISP. They already use 10gig networking on their PCs, including their older mac mini's they use. Linus was disappointed that the new macs didn't have 10g networking options.

I mean. I get what you're saying. But at the same time, I really don't think it's a huge problem for most purchasers of a Mac Mini.

9 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I... what? Plenty of people use 10Gbit networking. Not everyone uses their computers to play games. Some people use them for professional reasons...

I routinely use 10Gbit networking to transfer large files over my network as well as downloads from the internet since I have 2Gbit fiber.

And you’re wrong on SSD speeds. Decent NVMe drives can handle north of 2.5GB/s sustained which would require something like 30Gbit networking to saturate.

Would you really do that with a Mac Mini, though?
I'm going to assume you also realize that just because you do it and a lot of people on here do, that doesn't mean that a lot of people in general do, or that the market they're targeting with the Mac Mini does.

8 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Not really ironic.

Pretty sure NASA isn't using Mac Minis...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Would you really do that with a Mac Mini, though?
I'm going to assume you also realize that just because you do it and a lot of people on here do, that doesn't mean that a lot of people in general do, or that the market they're targeting with the Mac Mini does.

They’re pretty popular in the creative professional space. They definitely target professionals with them too as they (at the time of 8th gen Intel) had high end 6 core i7s, up to 64GB of RAM, NVMe storage, 10Gbit, eGPU support, etc. 

Regardless, the ignorant statement that I was replying to said that nobody needs 10Gbit networking because the world’s internet infrastructure sucks. It was nonsensical and had nothing to do with Mac Minis.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

26 minutes ago, emosun said:

LMG uses several intel based mac minis (with 10gig networking) to ingest the raw footage from their red cameras. Something about the macOS software working better. The footage gets sent to their NVMe SSD NAS, which is where the editors edit the videos from over 10gig networking to their editing systems.

LMG absolutely utilises 10gig networking in their production.

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I mean. I get what you're saying. But at the same time, I really don't think it's a huge problem for most purchasers of a Mac Mini.

The posts were merged, but the discussion stemmed from a post directly addressing LTT (titled "Linus needs to see this !!!"). LTT already use 10gig Intel based Mac Minis in their production and the thing stopping them from considering switching to the ARM based Mac Mini's was the lack of 10gig networking available on those models. This news rumours that there will be 10gig models of the ARM based Mac Minis coming soon.

No-one is arguing that everyone needs 10gig networking, and there's always the already released Mac Mini with 1gig networking for those people, but to suggest that no-one needs it and that 10gig networking serves no purpose other than to "transfer a single jpg" or because "the entire planets internet infrastructure is garbage" is naive.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I like that I iterated @dizmo nailed it on the head, but in order to make their points they specifically needed to ignore that and take my post as if...........

Edit: Ima just stop there again. Typing out my multi paragraph rant then deleting it really does help keep me in the zen zone. Lol

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

I like that I iterated @dizmo nailed it on the head, but in order to make their points they specifically needed to ignore that and take my post as if...........

Edit: Ima just stop there again. Typing out my multi paragraph rant then deleting it really does help keep me in the zen zone. Lol

But...if you don't finish your post how will you live up to your title? 🤷‍♂️

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Welp, glad to see it coming.

As someone who works on 10 gigabit networks daily, glad to see it as an option on more and more things.

Especially devices where it cannot be easily added later with a PCIe card.

2 hours ago, emosun said:

Yea they do, a lot of people do. Not just video editors too. You certainly do not need PCIe SSDs to have seq 1GB/s either, HDDs in a server can do that just fine.

Mac Mini's are used outside of personal home computers.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Most Mac Mini users not needing it doesn't make it not a problem. Whether it's 0.1%, 1% or 10% of Mac Mini buyers they still need that 10Gb interface so you'll get no support from these buyers by saying what you are. Needs don't go away by the removal of it or talking about how small the scope of need is, it still exists.

Mac Mini's are also the most widely used model for servers to manage Mac devices on a network, so popular Apple used to sell Mac Mini Server bundles. Apple stopped doing that in 2014 and also started killing of Mac OS server altogether, horrible move and glad I'm not in a role where the affects me anymore.

In 2018, coinciding with macOS Mojave, Apple shipped macOS Server version 5.71, which stopped bundling open source services, including DHCP, DNS, Email, Firewall, FTP, Radius, VPN, Web, and Wiki. Apple states that customers are able to receive support for these services directly from open-source providers. Other Apple-proprietary services, such as Airport, Calendar, Contacts, Messages, and Netboot were also removed, with no corresponding open source options

Apple doing their utmost best to annoy business customers.

12 hours ago, Gymnastboatman said:

pog

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

But...if you don't finish your post how will you live up to your title? 🤷‍♂️

At this point im pretty sure its just bait and I have to stop biting

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Most Mac Mini users not needing it doesn't make it not a problem. Whether it's 0.1%, 1% or 10% of Mac Mini buyers they still need that 10Gb interface so you'll get no support from these buyers by saying what you are. Needs don't go away by the removal of it or talking about how small the scope of need is, it still exists.

Mac Mini's are also the most widely used model for servers to manage Mac devices on a network, so popular Apple used to sell Mac Mini Server bundles. Apple stopped doing that in 2014 and also started killing of Mac OS server altogether, horrible move and glad I'm not in a role where the affects me anymore.

Apple doing their utmost best to annoy business customers.

Kind of. Depends how they're marketing the product. If they've decided they'd rather have professional users go towards their other, more expensive offerings, then getting rid of the 10g connection is a way to do that. Just because you can use a product for something, doesn't mean that's how the company intended it; I could buy, for example, an entry level mountain bike and race with it, but that company would prefer I buy something higher up the tier.

Which, really, with the information you've provided, sounds like the way they're going.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

At this point im pretty sure its just bait and I have to stop biting

Haha, perhaps, perhaps.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler