I am back but mostly for Tech Support - Dead GPU and unrecovereable rig

Misanthrope

Hi. Yes I am back, not planning on staying too much but I think there's some people here who might have ideas.

Here's the rig I am working with:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/The_Misanthrope/saved/#view=ZjTfvK

image.thumb.png.d7180d52b801bba74c9e0a4c0e2d42a5.png

Issues:

1) Installed Windows Pro 10 without issues

2) Installed a bunch of software also no issues

3) Sometimes at launch or when displaying large images (Like my 4k wallpaper if I updated it or if the screen refreshed after something) would result in artifacting that goes away after restarting

4) Games appear to launch ok at first but did not test for long just 5 minutes on Witcher 3 and Cities Skylines

5) Random reboots start

6) Installing Skyrim SE produced many errors, unable to launch the game, after like 8 attempts and changes (Running as admin, compatibility mode, redownload, full steam and game redownload on different directories, etc.) It randomly decides to work.

7) Artifacts on random images continues. I decide to test Witcher 3 and I notice all water reflections also have the same rainbow artifacts I get on static images only permanently so.

8) Trying to restart the game immediately produces a Windows Bluescreen. Steps 7) and 8) are 100% repeatable: I launch, see rainbow artifacts on water reflection. Close the game, restart it and get blue screen windows crash.

9) Just to discard NVME drive issues I boot from my current SATA SSD, completely different OS (Windows 10 Home in this case) boots successfully, same artifacts on wallpaper on launch, Witcher 3 shows same rainbow artifacts on water reflections, Restarting Witcher 3 produces a Blue Screen of Death again in the same way on a completely different drive and OS

So at this point I am pretty sure the 3070 vision needs to be RMA

The issue however, is not that.

I have a 1070 on my other system, I put it in instead of the 3070, no video.

1) I tried reseating it, no video

2) I tried putting the 3070 back in to check the BIOS (It is possible it defaults to PCI-E 4.0 and would not boot like that) but again no video.

3) I tried resetting the bios with CMOS jumper, no video, with either card.

4) I tried reseating the RAM DIMMS and cleared the bios again, used the known-to-work 1070, no video.

5) I put the 1070 back in its current Ryzen 1600 separate rig with Windows 10 Home, works fine.

So at this point I am not sure why clearing the bios is not working out. I could try to remove the battery but it involves dissasembling the motherboard: the B550 Aorus Pro AX does not have any screws for the metal cover over the VRMs and CMOS battery so I suspect I need to disasseble the backplate, then the front VRM plate, etc.

Any ideas on how to post the 5900x rig again? I still am within RMA periods for all components so I am not concerned and have several working system so even if I am unable to purchase another 5900x or another 3070 or 6800 for several months it's not a big issue for me, but I wouldn't want to RMA everything (Except the GPU that one is clearly damaged) if I have a working CPU and Mobo.

So

-------

Current Rig

-------

i only quickly read through it, but if im understanding right you tried multiple gpus and they are all having issues. at this point you would need to try another cpu and or motherboard, as they would probably be the only other common issues.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Just now, LamoidZombieDog said:

i only quickly read through it, but if im understanding right you tried multiple gpus and they are all having issues. at this point you would need to try another cpu and or motherboard, as they would probably be the only other common issues.

Yes I am thinking the same, except my other mobo is B350 and the CPU is 1600 so there is no way to test them for me at all. If there's no solution (Which I doubt there is but I still wanted to bounce ideas off people) I am still within RMA returns for well, everything so that's no issue I would rather just return CPU, Mobo and GPU and just get some other parts a few months down the line.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes I am thinking the same, except my other mobo is B350 and the CPU is 1600 so there is no way to test them for me at all. If there's no solution (Which I doubt there is but I still wanted to bounce ideas off people) I am still within RMA returns for well, everything so that's no issue I would rather just return CPU, Mobo and GPU and just get some other parts a few months down the line.

yeah you really cant do anything other then try a new cpu and motherboard first. those are the 2 things connecting to the GPU besides the PSU. which you could try by plugging in another PSU without installing it into the case if you have an extra one. ive seen GPUs cause computers to act like they are completely dead. the gpu is very fragile

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

3 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

yeah you really cant do anything other then try a new cpu and motherboard first. those are the 2 things connecting to the GPU besides the PSU. which you could try by plugging in another PSU without installing it into the case if you have an extra one. ive seen GPUs cause computers to act like they are completely dead. the gpu is very fragile

I do have another PSU but I don't want to touch my working rig at this point. If I have issues with RMAs or something I might give that a shot but at that point. Thanks for bouncing ideas btw.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I do have another PSU but I don't want to touch my working rig at this point. If I have issues with RMAs or something I might give that a shot but at that point. Thanks for bouncing ideas btw.

No problem