Next year's Apple designed chips might rely on TSMC's 5 nm+ process, and 4 nm process will arrive in 2022

captain_to_fire
5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Like I said before It hasn't changed much. Has it changed slightly? Sure but not enough to be meaningful tbh. Again they should have focused on a change in architecture as they were making minimal gains with reiterating skylake on a slightly improving 14nm process. 

Plus it's clear they could have done this, they ended up backporting architecture improvements made for 10nm products back on to 14nm. When times get tough plans get changed.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Plus it's clear they could have done this, they ended up backporting architecture improvements made for 10nm products back on to 14nm. When times get tough plans get changed.

I sometimes wonder if it was a miscommunication issue between the fabs and the design team. I mean maybe they thought that 10nm was around the corner so they continued to hold off thinking that they would soon be able to use the architectures based on 10nm once 10 nm was up and running and unfortunately that was pushed back again and again making their plans looking bad in hindsight. I mean if they had known that they would be stuck on 14nn for so long maybe they would have designed a new architecture based on 14nm much sooner rather than backporting a 10 nm design. 

So there is already a 5nm Node Fabs are using? Or is this just an improved 7nm Node that merely been renamed? 

Shouldn't this be considered Marketing Fraud by Goverenments?

On 11/19/2020 at 9:05 PM, Dabombinable said:

The 10900K 10c is better than an R7-5800X...

blasphemy 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

The silver linings of Intel's Skylake travesty are AMD's tremendous return to x86 glory and the amazing application of ARM by Apple's hardware engineers. Bravo to Apple for showing the world that ARM machines need to be taken seriously not just in the supercomputing/server space or phones.

6 hours ago, Caroline said:

Probably costs 10x as well, you're kind of buying a cool logo at that point, like with Apple.

No, I'm not an AMD shill, and no, I don't get paid 5 cents by the CCP to comment "against Intel"

I was just pointing the hyperbole...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL