If animals could talk, would they even sound like humans?

Computernaut

This is a weird question, but it's bugging me so here we go.

Even if animals had vocal cords comparable to those of humans, would they sound human? Not only are their throats shaped differently, but their mouths are too. For starters, the mouths of most mammals are open on three sides (dogs, cats, mice, etc.) rather than on just one side like humans. Also, they have longer mouths and their tongues work differently. They surely don't have all the necessary muscles in their lips/face. So maybe a better question is: Would it be possible for animals to have all the necessary elements to produce human-like speech while still maintaining the same appearance they currently have? If not, how close could they get?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

26 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I mean, parrots?

True, and they have beaks which should make it even more difficult. They do sound weird though and have trouble saying some things.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Mynah birds and African Grey parrots can sound exactly like people.

Just now, si1enze said:

Mynah birds and African Grey parrots can sound exactly like people.

Not sure what type it was, might've been a gray but my dad had a buddy who had one that would accurately mimic pretty much anything including doorbells and door knocks. We had an Indian ringneck who would whistle close encounters, wolf whistle, and say "I love you" when you walked past his cage. Sometimes in the middle of the night he'd say "Good morning."

#Muricaparrotgang

If you guys didn't know about the Lyre bird.. check this out:

They better do if they want to be taken seriusly...we humans are kind of picky

2 hours ago, Benji said:

My uncle had a grey parrot once but unfortunately it succumbed during an extremely hot summer a few years ago. When I was, like, 4 or 5 years old (which was the first and to date last time that I visited my uncle) I told the parrot "hello" and it responded with "goodbye". :D

I have an uncle that'll do that do. Say hello and ask him a question and he'll just walk away.

In other terms, I'm not sure about inter-animal communication, but there's been plenty of dogs, pigs, dolphins, chimps, gorillas, etc. that have learned basic languages and communication. Some parrots in particular you can actually talk to.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 hours ago, si1enze said:

If you guys didn't know about the Lyre bird.. check this out:

Holy crapbaskets.  They definitely saved the best for last on that one.  Up until the final imitation, I was like, "that's vaguely impressive, but not exactly amazing."  Then my jaw hit the floor.  If it weren't BBC/Attenborough, I'd have assumed it was dubbed in sound.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580