Any tips on custom keyboard pcb

Ankh Tech
10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Use EasyEDA then, all I'm saying is I won't be able to help and almost all guides are written for KiCAD.

also, what about a full keyboard, using the 104 key layout, like ansi, do I need a better controller

6 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

also, what about a full keyboard, using the 104 key layout, like ansi, do I need a better controller

32u4 will suffice as long as your matrix doesn't match your physical layout (makes routing more difficult but works the same)

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

32u4 will suffice as long as your matrix doesn't match your physical layout (makes routing more difficult but works the same)

also, what are the exact dimensions of a full keyboard, and, what is github, and can I use the addon in the tutorial @minibois linked on easyeda, or is it not cross compatible

5 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

also, what are the exact dimensions of a full keyboard, and, what is github, and can I use the addon in the tutorial @minibois linked on easyeda, or is it not cross compatible

I don't know what add-on you're talking about. Dimensions depend on so many factors I can't say.

Do some of your own research, if you're just going to have people spoon-feed you info you're gonna have a bad time making a pcb.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

also, what are the exact dimensions of a full keyboard

Depends on the keyboard you're making and the edges you're leaving on the side. A 1u cherry MX keyswitch footprint is generally 19.05mm wide/tall, so just multiply by the rows/columns and the sizes you're going for. Try out http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ too.

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

what is github

a website owned by Microsoft, on which you can make "repositories" using the git system.

In simple terms, a repository is a way to integrate different features into the file structure of your project, including ways to have version control (so you can step back to a previous version of your project), different branches (so in a team of people, multiple people can work on the same project) and more.

In the context of PCB creation, it makes for an easy place to track progress and be able to take a step back, so you can go to a previous version of your project.

4 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

and can I use the addon in the tutorial @minibois linked on easyeda, or is it not cross compatible

Not sure what 'add on' you mean, if you mean the different footprints; no those are not compatible with EasyEDA, those libraries are specifically for KiCAD.

Consider taking a step back and before working on a PCB, learn a bit about keyboards.

Specifically:

- Keyboard layouts (Full size, TKL, 60%, etc.) and what you actually want to make later on

- Mechanical keyswitch design (how they interact with a PCB)

- Keyboard matrices

These are things you need to learn about first, before attempting to make a full-board.

After all, you first learn how to walk before you learn how to run.

I think this series on YouTube is a great introduction to the mechanical keyboard PCB creation:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 hours ago, minibois said:

Depends on the keyboard you're making and the edges you're leaving on the side. A 1u cherry MX keyswitch footprint is generally 19.05mm wide/tall, so just multiply by the rows/columns and the sizes you're going for. Try out http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ too.

a website owned by Microsoft, on which you can make "repositories" using the git system.

In simple terms, a repository is a way to integrate different features into the file structure of your project, including ways to have version control (so you can step back to a previous version of your project), different branches (so in a team of people, multiple people can work on the same project) and more.

In the context of PCB creation, it makes for an easy place to track progress and be able to take a step back, so you can go to a previous version of your project.

Not sure what 'add on' you mean, if you mean the different footprints; no those are not compatible with EasyEDA, those libraries are specifically for KiCAD.

Consider taking a step back and before working on a PCB, learn a bit about keyboards.

Specifically:

- Keyboard layouts (Full size, TKL, 60%, etc.) and what you actually want to make later on

- Mechanical keyswitch design (how they interact with a PCB)

- Keyboard matrices

These are things you need to learn about first, before attempting to make a full-board.

After all, you first learn how to walk before you learn how to run.

I think this series on YouTube is a great introduction to the mechanical keyboard PCB creation:

Well I know the keyboard sizes, there are multiple formats, ansi, iso, and others, there's also letter order, qwerty, qwertz, and others, the switch is made from  4 parts, casing, stem, spring and leaf, when the key is not pressed, the leaf doesn't make contact, but when pressed the leaf completes the circuit, sending a signal to traces, pcb wires, that send it to the microcontroller, and then that sends it to the usb then to the system, right? but what are keyboard matrices?