5600x Faux FPS drops

I'm monitoring the boots frequency of my 5600x in OCCT. It is only booting to 43x not the 46x it is meant to. The boot seems stable.

I also posted about a very strange Faux fps drop in games that didn't get a response, games are remaining at stable FPS but looking like they are heavily drooping frames every few seconds.

2 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

I'm monitoring the boots frequency of my 5600x in OCCT. It is only booting to 43x not the 46x it is meant to. The boot seems stable.

I also posted about a very strange Faux fps drop in games that didn't get a response, games are remaining at stable FPS but looking like they are heavily drooping frames every few seconds.

Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed?  

4.6 is single core, if you were loading only one thread.

games are remaining at stable FPS but looking like they are heavily drooping frames every few seconds.

Do you have a multi monitor setup?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, johndole25 said:

46x is the single-core boost, 43x seems reasonable for all core. As to stutters, do you have your memory at full speed & dual channel?

17 minutes ago, terminalinfinity said:

Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed?  

Heavy derp on my part. No windows had installed a 2017 version of the Chipset. Going to do some testing now and see if the latest chipset drivers fixed it.

The only thing that stood out to me is that this Faux Fps drops were happening after many hours of playing suggesting some sort of overheating, but clocks don't drop and neither do frame rates or frame times. So at a loss as to what I'm actually seeing. It isn't subtle either, it looks like 30 fps for multiple seconds.

14 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

46x is the single-core boost, 43x seems reasonable for all core. As to stutters, do you have your memory at full speed & dual channel?

The max core boost is displaying as 46x however on all cores. Memory is dual channel, but has issues with XMP but they seem common. At JDEC 2666Mhz

17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

4.6 is single core, if you were loading only one thread.

Do you have a multi monitor setup?

Just one

1 minute ago, johndole25 said:

At JDEC 2666Mhz

2666 is pretty slow, it seems Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are even more sensitive to ram speeds. 

If you can't overclock your ram very far, you might want to consider purchasing a faster kit 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The max core boost is displaying as 46x however on all cores. Memory is dual channel, but has issues with XMP but they seem common. At JDEC 2666Mhz

ram in slots 2 and 4? getting it to run at xmp might improve things.

also use hwinfo to monitor temps for both cpu and gpu

6 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

Heavy derp on my part. No windows had installed a 2017 version of the Chipset. Going to do some testing now and see if the latest chipset drivers fixed it.

The only thing that stood out to me is that this Faux Fps drops were happening after many hours of playing suggesting some sort of overheating, but clocks don't drop and neither do frame rates or frame times. So at a loss as to what I'm actually seeing. It isn't subtle either, it looks like 30 fps for multiple seconds.

Yup could very well be it if the chipset driver was that old.

Just now, boggy77 said:

ram in slots 2 and 4? getting it to run at xmp might improve things.

also use hwinfo to monitor temps for both cpu and gpu

Getting max 82c before on heavy load before I install my cooler. No sign of thermal throttling in logs (dropped clocks etc). HW monitor does have my TMPIN4 at constant 85c and my MOBO temp2 is 90. Concern?

4 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

Getting max 82c before on heavy load before I install my cooler. No sign of thermal throttling in logs (dropped clocks etc). HW monitor does have my TMPIN4 at constant 85c and my MOBO temp2 is 90. Concern?

no, those look fine. make sure ram is in slots 2 and 4 and try to get xmp working

Just now, terminalinfinity said:

Yup could very well be it if the chipset was that old.

Yeah thanks for remining me! Any thoughts on what I'm seeing? How could something look like its dropping frames when they aren't.  Would assume I would see something in logs but the framerates are solid and the freamtimes are ranging from 9-11ms not representative of whats happening

3 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

Yeah thanks for remining me! Any thoughts on what I'm seeing? How could something look like its dropping frames when they aren't.  Would assume I would see something in logs but the framerates are solid and the freamtimes are ranging from 9-11ms not representative of whats happening

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a software bug (like a driver issue) that doesn't interface with hardware reporting correctly.  I know a lot of the hardware monitors had reduced functionality when Zen 3 launched until they got patched. 

14 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

The max core boost is displaying as 46x however on all cores.

Each of them may boost to 4.6 when they are the only core under load. But 4.6GHz is not the stock all-core boost clock. If you are hammering OCCT on all cores, then it's impressive you are not going all the way to the all-core base clock of 3.7, or at least closer to it. 4.3 in all cores while testing with OCCT is more than decent.

22 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Each of them may boost to 4.6 when they are the only core under load. But 4.6GHz is not the stock all-core boost clock. If you are hammering OCCT on all cores, then it's impressive you are not going all the way to the all-core base clock of 3.7, or at least closer to it. 4.3 in all cores while testing with OCCT is more than decent.

Awesome thanks for the info, so guessing I got a good chip

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I noticed after installing newer 3600mhz Cl16 ram that my all core speed have reduced to around 41x. The other pair was running JDEC 2666mhz CL20.

That normal?

9 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

I noticed after installing newer 3600mhz Cl16 ram that my all core speed have reduced to around 41x. The other pair was running JDEC 2666mhz CL20.

That normal?

I don't know. It could be. Ryzen exact boost clocks, depend on temperature and power draw. Without an overclock or otherwise lifting current or temp protections, it will contintue to boost until getting too hot or drawing too much power. Faster memory will put more stress on the integrated memory controller, increasing temperatures and probably power draw as well to some extent. That could cause clocks to drop to remain in target.

There is a way (or at least there was in older models) to remove or extend the power limit, at which point you were limited only by temperatures, can't remember whether it's available in Ryzen Master or you have to do it in BIOS. I do remember that any OC in Ryzen master immediately lifted the power draw thing.

So the problem seems to have returned.

It seems to come on over some time in games. The FPS looks like its tanking and the game becomes very stutter/not smooth. The FPS counter memains stable in both logs and in game.  So they aren't actual FPS drops + are frametimes are stable.

I am getting DPC latency reports come through although it has remained table when I have been live checking to see if it was that.

Is there the possibility that the latest NVidia drivers isn't playing well with 5600x?

Untitled.jpg