Gabe Newell sends Half-Life’s Gnome Chompski into Space Thursday, For Charity.

Adorable Cat

Summary

gnome-space-580x334.jpg

Gabe Newell (Valve founder) has partnered with Rocket Lab to include a 5 inch titanium replica of the gnome on the Electron rocket launching from New Zealand on Thursday. "Gnome Chompski" was originally featured in Half Life 2: Episode 2 where players could get an achievement by carrying him through the game and then placing him inside a rocket. In addition, Gabe has pledged to donate 1 dollar for every viewer of the launch to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at the New Zealand Starship Children's Hospital.

Quotes

Rocket Lab's sleek, black Electron rocket is set to launch from New Zealand's picturesque Māhia Peninsula on Thursday. The mission is a significant step in the plucky spaceflight startup's ambitious plans to recover a rocket booster in midair with a helicopter. It's also set to be momentous for gnomes and Gabe Newell, founder of video game powerhouse Valve.

A 5-inch titanium garden gnome, dubbed Gnome Chompski, will be strapped to the Electron rocket's Kick Stage, a circular platform that drops satellites into orbit and then falls back toward the Earth, for the duration of the mission. 

Chompski's flight isn't all science and video games, either. It's also going to contribute to charity. For every viewer of the launch, Newell has pledged to donate $1 to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit New Zealand's Starship Foundation.

What fate ultimately awaits the gnome? Not a pretty one. Eventually, the Kick Stage and Chompski will burn up upon re-entry to Earth's atmosphere. 

My thoughts

As a huge half life fan I think this is really cool, and I'll probably watch the launch to contribute towards that donation. I'm also glad that gnome's gonna burn up in the atmosphere, I'll take that as payback for having to drag him through the car segment of episode 2.

Sources

https://www.cnet.com/news/valves-gabe-newell-is-rocketing-a-half-life-2-icon-to-space-thursday/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/gabe-newell-garden-gnome-space-launch

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Tis also in L4D2, in the carnival.

This is absolutely hilarious and I love everything about it.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

God, CNET makes it a pain to find anything on their articles. They always just link to their own past articles instead of the ONE THING the article is about and if they do link it, it's in yet another article that you need to carefully comb through.

Here's the livestream link

They will also stream on Twitch, if you're more of a Twitch user.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Contents of the gnome is the only exemplar of the HL3 source code and all of its references.

The funniest charity I’ve ever heard of 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I love both versions of Gnome Chompski. Though the achievement was bugged for me. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

There’s a character named gnome chompski in a Netflix kids animation as well.  There it’s a full on character with sharp teeth that chews on things and is in love with a barbi doll.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.