Best RAID/NAS Budget Storage

aceland7

What is the best raid / nas storage on a budget for storing large amounts of video footage? My brother-n-law has his own video-ography business (mostly wedding videos). He needs a solution to keep client footage safe while he edits it. He is on a budget. What are his best options? 12TB or more for space would be best.

3 4tb WD Reds. Or 6 in raid 1. 

I believe you mean "6 in raid 10." As that many in raid 1 would only yield 4 TB, just mirrored across 6 devices.

Another idea, get 4x4TB drives in RAID 5 and save some money while having a failover

~Judah

I believe you mean "6 in raid 10." As that many in raid 1 would only yield 4 TB, just mirrored across 6 devices.

Another idea, get 4x4TB drives in RAID 5 and save some money while having a failover

Isn't raid 10 a mix of raid one and 0? Because that wouldn't be very helpful to make it more reliable. Also what i meant is that you take 3 drvies put the data on them and then mirror them. 

I don't like RAID 5 personally. Using WD Reds fixes one problem, but the performance loss is annoying to me.

Isn't raid 10 a mix of raid one and 0? Because that wouldn't be very helpful to make it more reliable. Also what i meant is that you take 3 drvies put the data on them and then mirror them. 

You might not understand what is accomplished in RAID 10. 

You RAID 1 3 sets of drives together (in pairs of 2), then RAID 0 the 3 sets. Or you can RAID 0 2 sets of 3 drives, then RAID 1 them. 

Either way, if any 1 drive fails, you are good. If 2 certain drives (not any combination, but certain combinations) fail, you are good, or you are hosed (depending on which 2 it is), and the same is true of 3. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Raid 1 provides the reliability. In fact, RAID 10 is technically more reliable (i.e. has more redundancy) than RAID 5. Question is whether he wants to spend 2 drives or 1 on redundancy.

Raid 1 provides the reliability. In fact, RAID 10 is technically more reliable (i.e. has more redundancy) than RAID 5. Question is whether he wants to spend 2 drives or 1 on redundancy.

For video editing, he's probably also somewhat concerned with performance. I recommend RAID 10.

Especially in the storage industry, you learn that RAID 10 is one of the most recommended RAID configurations (so is RAID 50), with RAID 5 and RAID 6 being used for low-usage, archival and replication purposes.

There is extra overhead cost, but you get better performance, slightly better redundancy, and faster rebuilds after drive failures. It's also damn simple to run, no expensive calculations required.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I would go with Raid 6 / RAID-Z2, i probably wouldnt render on a storage rig anyway.

I'm not sure about the actual hardware of the NAS tho. Probably something along the line of i3 + 8gb ram, standard or micro atx board @ freeNAS. Maybe a case like the Fractal Design Define Mini

He shouldnt cheap out on the drives either 6-7 WD Reds 4TB should give enough space. Look for a mainboard with enough sata ports.

If on a budget maybe start with the minimum needed drives for the desired raid option.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

I would go any RAID with Backups, best DR in the biznezz (DR = Disaster Recovery).

That's why I roll with RAID 0 and just backup so I am fastest at the console and redundant to a day.

If backing up to a drive use RAID 1 on that drive <_<

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.