Why isn't there a universal-RGB standard?

Zeals

TL;DR: Why are there so many difference RGB implementations? 

Just a random shower thought, but why isn't there a universal RGB standard when it comes to software implementation that is hopefully open-source. You have MSI-Mystic, Gigabyte Fusion, ASUS Aura, ASRock RGB Sync. Also other things like Corsairs iCue etc. 

Now to my understanding all these are semi-compatible and interchangeable with some minor differences. I'm just curious why all the venders haven't gotten together and just decided let's go for this one 4 pin connector and this one universal driver / utility to control it all instead of having to download 30 different driver packages. 

On top of that if they made the overall basis of it open source wouldn't it save them the need to develop it, because my understanding a lot of these implementations are really buggy. Heck if they can name the standard... Universal-Rainbow Group Blueprint. (UNIVERSAL-RGB). 

Just a random shower thought but I might have a key misunderstanding of how RGB works so any clarification on that is also welcome. 

Because they're trying to keep you in their ecosystem, same reason corsair uses Icue

you could try Jacknet RGB, I used the software before i moved to a gigabyte board, they have a discord to that's really helpful if you ever have troubles 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

it would require all the mobo manufacrers agreeing on it and that wont happen unless theres a strong reason for ir

comes down to greed.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Most of the ports on PCs are created by standards bodies or they have a long lineage behind them.

RGB was made up by the manufacturers themselves and it's still relatively new so it's like the wild west. Maybe in a few more years they can get together and hash things out.

Btw, just fyi, RGB doesn't really make a pc faster, it's just more point for failure. 

Just a random internet message board thought. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

At least most of them can work together. I have seen there icue on razer chroma. BTW you forgot the razer chroma:D

well what you are looking at is just the software side of things.

there are basically two standards that come directly from the hardware used for the LED strips.

one is the 4pin you mentioned, this is for LED strips where the entire strip is lighting up in the same color at the same time.

Its basically usually a ground line with one power line for each color which is why its 4 pins.

then there is the other standard which are the 3pin LED strips, these have a ground line a power line and a data line.

This makes it possible to control each individual LED independently.

What you hear with all their marketing names is usually just a different label on the same stuff and they maybe put a different connector on so you cant just plug in another one but technically they are compatible most of the time.

very important detail here the 4 pin LED´s are usually 12V while the 3pin LEDs are usually 5V so never try to connect one to the other.

-> Moved to Cases and Mods

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, Pixel5 said:

well what you are looking at is just the software side of things.

there are basically two standards that come directly from the hardware used for the LED strips.

one is the 4pin you mentioned, this is for LED strips where the entire strip is lighting up in the same color at the same time.

Its basically usually a ground line with one power line for each color which is why its 4 pins.

then there is the other standard which are the 3pin LED strips, these have a ground line a power line and a data line.

This makes it possible to control each individual LED independently.

What you hear with all their marketing names is usually just a different label on the same stuff and they maybe put a different connector on so you cant just plug in another one but technically they are compatible most of the time.

very important detail here the 4 pin LED´s are usually 12V while the 3pin LEDs are usually 5V so never try to connect one to the other.

theres 4pin argb too. also there are many different strips for both making it even more confusing. and some new higher tire mb now have 5v and 12v argb

headers...

for the most part you may be able to mix stuff but there software is based around there produces meaning no guaranty plus if you add more or less leds well using there software some animations wont look right. so only random animation can be use.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 11/19/2020 at 2:53 AM, Zeals said:

TL;DR: Why are there so many difference RGB implementations? 

Because it bothers enough people who then say „fuck it, I guess I‘ll just buy Corsair fans and a Corsair AIO to keep it simple.“. Which makes money. 

Hi all,

am new here but based on this topic. someone mention about greed. I would say it's common for one to be unique. Just like motherboard makers, 

RGB is always there infact. it comes with 5v or 12v. more fanciful will be aRGB which are 5volts. 

having to say that.. dont think it will speed up anything on a pc, infact it generate heat plus draw more power from the PSU. 

for long run if you keep it on always, eventually it will fail, especially for aRGB. some even gone crazy to keep chaining more and more stripes which ended up blowing either the rgb or argb header of the motherboard. 

Spoiler

well for those who wants to know what's the diff, I did a video which explains the argb and rgb stripes

and for the past experiences, I did mistakes when chaining up led strips or to even daisy chain argb fans. I did mentioned about the dos and donts here while further inspecting the Lian Li Uni Fan SL 120