Bad console output Cisco 2960S

GigabitXe

I recently bought a used Cisco WS-C2960S-24TS-L network switch to start building a home lab. However, when I console into the device the output is just a bunch of random characters (see image). I did some searching on the Cisco forums and the common suggestion there is to try different baud speeds until one works. I tried all of the available speeds in TeraTerm and none of them give me clean console output. I also tried resetting the switch by holding the mode button when plugging it in, but that didn't work either. Is there anything else that I can do to try and fix this? If not I'm going to have to return it and get a replacement. 

image.png.a65b741f9d5d76b3387d56377f3be388.png

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

2 minutes ago, zhnu said:

Try putty (https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html) if it doesn't work try the web-ui, (try resetting also) if doesn't work after the reset send it back.

I have tried Putty (sorry I didn't mention that) and it did not give clean output either. As far as I know there is no configuration on the switch, so how would I go about accessing the web-ui? Also, I tried resetting it by holding the mode button when powering it on. Is there another way to reset it?

12 hours ago, GigabitXe said:

I have tried Putty (sorry I didn't mention that) and it did not give clean output either. As far as I know there is no configuration on the switch, so how would I go about accessing the web-ui? Also, I tried resetting it by holding the mode button when powering it on. Is there another way to reset it?

Try setting the baud rate to 115200 on putty before connecting.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Try setting the baud rate to 115200 on putty before connecting.

I just tried that and it did not work. Very similar result to tera term. The switch appears to be booting, but the console output is not readable. 

image.png.26eee4fbb087207b3ac59740c576473a.png

14 minutes ago, GigabitXe said:

I just tried that and it did not work. Very similar result to tera term. The switch appears to be booting, but the console output is not readable. 

image.png.26eee4fbb087207b3ac59740c576473a.png

Ah, it might have been set to another baud rate then which is always fun to try and guess. I would go through the reset process then.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Ah, it might have been set to another baud rate then which is always fun to try and guess. I would go through the reset process then.

What exactly is the reset process? I have tried holding the mode button when plugging it in, and that did not work. I also tried holding the mode button once it was booted, and that did not work either. 

1 minute ago, GigabitXe said:

What exactly is the reset process? I have tried holding the mode button when plugging it in, and that did not work. I also tried holding the mode button once it was booted, and that did not work either. 

If I remember right, and I can double check, you hold the mode button for like 30 seconds after applying power.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, GigabitXe said:

Before you try the above try setting baud to 179000

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Before you try the above try setting baud to 179000

179000 does not work either. Same output as 115200.

1 minute ago, GigabitXe said:

179000 does not work either. Same output as 115200.

ok, I would say try the following rates as well:

1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600

It's tedious but from some quick searching a reset doesn't seem to work for the baud rate.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

ok, I would say try the following rates as well:

1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600

It's tedious but from some quick searching a reset doesn't seem to work for the baud rate.

Of those, only 9600, 38400, and 57600 gave output, but it was the same as 115200.

Thank you all for your input. I took the switch to my networking instructor at college, and he could not figure out this issue either. I am going to return this unit and get a replacement.