Getting into Drones.. I need guidance from someone who knows what theyre doing...

Jstagzsr
Go to solution Solved by ColinLTT,

Ayyy I gotchu fam. 

Ooooohkay, so first of all all DJI products are hardware locked - like Apple products. You cannot use a 3rd party controller like a T18. No chance. You're locked in with what you have. As a flying camera platform they're relatively well designed, for that purpose and that purpose only

5-in-1 refers to the radio control protocol. These are 2.4GHz control protocols, specifically  R9, DSM2/X, FrSKY, SFHSS, FlySky, FlySky AFHDS2A, Hubsan and some others (this is right off the Jumper T18 info page for the JP5-in-1 Multi-protocol module). Read the product listings, its where the info is. Of course places that have it want to sell it to you, doesnt mean you have to buy it.. Because it is multi function you should be able to get all your existing flysky stuff to work, it might just be a bit of a run around getting the settings right. 

I like DSMX personally, but lots of people swear by FrSky. Avoid Flysky, their firmware proliferation is confusing and complicated. 

If you can afford it, go Crossfire. I did, I will never look back. It just works, and that matters a LOT when you're flying a few hundred dollars around. My video link dies before radio and that's super important. Nothing quite like having a perfect view as your model nosedives into the dirt... :/

Your questions are kinda all over the place and don't make a ton of sense, so all I can really say is that the multiprotocol module in the T18 should work with what you have. What you decide to run as a reciever in your models is ultimately up to you, crossfire is worth the money in my mind and the new TBS Tracer system (crossfire's new younger brother)  is pretty appealing cost wise, and has all the great software behind it if you dont want to go true crossfire. 

I own a DJI spark. Ive owned it for like a week. This is the first drone ive ever owned or flown at all. Its great and all, But the controller is annoying.
I bought an fpv race drone, awaiting delivery.. No idea what receiver it has yet..
I bought a Jumper T18 radio.. No idea anything about anything.. All i know is it looked cool and it was a good price and the fact its 5 in 1 meant im 5x more likely to have bought the correct radio to work with this race drone..

The questions i have are:
Can the Jumper T18 be used with the DJI Spark?
If so what receiver do i need to get for the spark, or what do i need to do with the radio to work with DJI stuff?
What is the best non crossfire way of connecting drones to the jumper T18? I eventually want all my drones on the same radio and just switch models like i do with the ground rc's i own all connected to the same Flysky Noble NB4.
What is any good info or advice youd give to an absolute noob with this stuff? I cant even Google stuff about the T18 cuz its only ever links to different places trying to sell me stuff. Im probably looking in the worng places. What are the "5" in the "5-in-1"? is that protoicols? brands? both?
I also own a Flysky V950 heli.. What do i need to do to get that heli also on the Jumper T18?
I found out AFTER i bought the T18 that people were having issues with them.. Anyone who owns one what would you recommend i fix on it?
which of the 5 support telemetry modules? Once i started using telemetry modules on the Flysky Noble i could never go back..

(I'm sure i have more questions but this is all i can think of rn)

TIA

Ayyy I gotchu fam. 

Ooooohkay, so first of all all DJI products are hardware locked - like Apple products. You cannot use a 3rd party controller like a T18. No chance. You're locked in with what you have. As a flying camera platform they're relatively well designed, for that purpose and that purpose only

5-in-1 refers to the radio control protocol. These are 2.4GHz control protocols, specifically  R9, DSM2/X, FrSKY, SFHSS, FlySky, FlySky AFHDS2A, Hubsan and some others (this is right off the Jumper T18 info page for the JP5-in-1 Multi-protocol module). Read the product listings, its where the info is. Of course places that have it want to sell it to you, doesnt mean you have to buy it.. Because it is multi function you should be able to get all your existing flysky stuff to work, it might just be a bit of a run around getting the settings right. 

I like DSMX personally, but lots of people swear by FrSky. Avoid Flysky, their firmware proliferation is confusing and complicated. 

If you can afford it, go Crossfire. I did, I will never look back. It just works, and that matters a LOT when you're flying a few hundred dollars around. My video link dies before radio and that's super important. Nothing quite like having a perfect view as your model nosedives into the dirt... :/

Your questions are kinda all over the place and don't make a ton of sense, so all I can really say is that the multiprotocol module in the T18 should work with what you have. What you decide to run as a reciever in your models is ultimately up to you, crossfire is worth the money in my mind and the new TBS Tracer system (crossfire's new younger brother)  is pretty appealing cost wise, and has all the great software behind it if you dont want to go true crossfire. 

1 hour ago, ColinLTT said:

Ayyy I gotchu fam. 

Awesome. Thank you. i was starting to think nobody was gonna reply. haha. i know almost literally nothing about any of this. I tried to download the manual for the t18 but there was no download link, or even a "view" link. Everywhere else was link ebay and banggood, etc.. they dont have the info i was looking for. But you answered just about every answer i had. Much appreciated mang.

23 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

I own a DJI spark. Ive owned it for like a week. This is the first drone ive ever owned or flown at all. Its great and all, But the controller is annoying.
I bought an fpv race drone, awaiting delivery.. No idea what receiver it has yet..
I bought a Jumper T18 radio.. No idea anything about anything.. All i know is it looked cool and it was a good price and the fact its 5 in 1 meant im 5x more likely to have bought the correct radio to work with this race drone..

Oh boy, I'm not overly familiar with the Jumper, but if it supports FR-Sky receivers and your quad supports one too, you're good.

Can the Jumper T18 be used with the DJI Spark?

No. Not without scrapping all of its electronics.

What is the best non crossfire way of connecting drones to the jumper T18? I eventually want all my drones on the same radio and just switch models like i do with the ground rc's i own all connected to the same Flysky Noble NB4.

As in TBS Crossfire? Crossfire is just a radio module that operates at a lower frequency to enable much longer range flights. Model management is handled by your radio such as the Jumper.

What is any good info or advice youd give to an absolute noob with this stuff?

Plug into a sim first, learn the controls. An FPV drone is a completely different beast from anything DJI, you're completely on your own. You make all the adjustments and that the computer does on a DJI.

I cant even Google stuff about the T18 cuz its only ever links to different places trying to sell me stuff. Im probably looking in the worng places.

Look up Josh Bardwell's videos on the T18

What are the "5" in the "5-in-1"? is that protoicols? brands? both?

Not sure what you mean by this, but it sounds like some marketing stuff

I also own a Flysky V950 heli.. What do i need to do to get that heli also on the Jumper T18?

probably just a compatible receiver, but I'm not familiar with that particular aircraft.

Hope this helps, but google is a much better resource.

ASU

18 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Oh boy, I'm not overly familiar with the Jumper, but if it supports FR-Sky receivers and your quad supports one too, you're good.

No. Not without scrapping all of its electronics.

As in TBS Crossfire? Crossfire is just a radio module that operates at a lower frequency to enable much longer range flights. Model management is handled by your radio such as the Jumper.

Plug into a sim first, learn the controls. An FPV drone is a completely different beast from anything DJI, you're completely on your own. You make all the adjustments and that the computer does on a DJI.

Look up Josh Bardwell's videos on the T18

Not sure what you mean by this, but it sounds like some marketing stuff

probably just a compatible receiver, but I'm not familiar with that particular aircraft.

Hope this helps, but google is a much better resource.

Awesome! Thank you man. a lot of good info there to work with!