Cases With Mechanism to Secure GPUs

tarfeef101

Hey all

I'm building a PC for a friend who I've always built and upgraded for. However, we are no longer in the same area so I can't just drive over to his place and give him the PC. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any cases that have a built-in mechanism to secure a GPU down during shipping (like some OEMs do for their prebuilt systems), since they are very unlikely to be willing to open it up and reseat a GPU if it comes loose (which is still very much a risk even if one uses expanding air packets, etc). It's probably a bit of a long shot, since that's a pretty niche use case for someone to make a case for, but figured I'd ask if anyone's heard of one. 

Thanks!

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

There is packing material that forms after the PC or GPU stands you could probably pick one up for cheap

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

my friend, who lives several states away and has no clue about anything PC (or at least didn't when we helped him out) was able to install the graphics card.

If you friend has a screwdriver and an internet connection, I highly advise you pick out a youtube guide and package the GPU separately. that's what I did and it worked quite well.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

There is packing material that forms after the PC or GPU stands you could probably pick one up for cheap

yes, i know. but as alluded to in the question (and even implied by watching the latest episodes of secret shopper), they are not foolproof, and are a common source of error even for SIs who use them. If there is an option that's just better, I'd at least like to know it exists

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

my friend, who lives several states away and has no clue about anything PC (or at least didn't when we helped him out) was able to install the graphics card.

If you friend has a screwdriver and an internet connection, I highly advise you pick out a youtube guide and package the GPU separately. that's what I did and it worked quite well.

yeah we discussed it as a backup option, but they're REALLY anti touching electronics. definitely leaning towards that over packing it in and hoping, though. i've had to ship my PC with a courier twice, and both times it dislodged, despite fairly tight packaging. it was a pretty heavy system since it was watercooled (custom, so lots of liquid vs AIOs), which didn't help I'm sure. but still definitely made me wary 

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

yeah we discussed it as a backup option, but they're REALLY anti touching electronics. definitely leaning towards that over packing it in and hoping, though. i've had to ship my PC with a courier twice, and both times it dislodged, despite fairly tight packaging. it was a pretty heavy system since it was watercooled (custom, so lots of liquid vs AIOs), which didn't help I'm sure. but still definitely made me wary 

alternatives in the form of brackets don't come with the case but rather the GPU

though I'm sure you've seen them, GPU braces are more cosmetic and reduce sag more than structural and prevent damage.

Dell has made some hefty workstations from back in the day that had those neat blue plastic GPU holders, oh where have the glory days gone...

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

alternatives in the form of brackets don't come with the case but rather the GPU

though I'm sure you've seen them, GPU braces are more cosmetic and reduce sag more than structural and prevent damage.

Dell has made some hefty workstations from back in the day that had those neat blue plastic GPU holders, oh where have the glory days gone...

I've seen some prebuilts from the likes of dell that also use custom GPU designs that allow it to be screwed into the case from the opposite edge of the PCB as the I/O plate, basically locking it into place. that was what i was hoping for, maybe something that would allow me to take a screw out of the backplate of my GPU and put a plate in the middle of it, and screw that into the case to brace it, or something like that. Admittedly a longshot, but figured I'd try.

Also i don't think I could, in good conscience, ship something with blue plastic anything in 2020. Even if my friend said he didn't care how it looks, I still do dammit.