I Have Reconsidered My Adblocking Options, But I've Hit A Snag... (UPDATED 11-26-2020)

Title pretty much states it- ever since my last post I made here, I have reconsidered my adblocking options. I have officially decided I won't try to make my own adblocker unless it comes down to it & I haven't any options left. With that being said, I have found that AdBlocker Ultimate is a great adblocker I have come to absolutely LOVE! It's great at adblocking while having a simple-to-use interface & it's even light when it comes to system usage! But there is 1 little issue if I want to use it on my other browsers: I can't use the newer version (3.7.6) specifically on both Yandex & Opera GX. :( You're probably wondering why. According to the response I received yesterday from the AdBlocker Ultimate team, they say they've been having issues with both Opera and Yandex stores updates. They also said that they have been trying to update the extension for other smaller stores/extension catalogs, but it just hasn't happened yet. I'm wondering if Opera is to blame for this since I haven't heard anything from them yet? 🤔

I did make a post on the Opera forum about this, but I really didn't receive as many responses or feedback as what I thought I would have. You can view my Opera forum post here: https://forums.opera.com/topic/44952/adblocker-ultimate-3-7-6-not-working-properly-after-installing-full-details-included But it did get me to wondering afterward if maybe I can use the latest version of AdBlocker Ultimate in both browsers without any issues. I assume it could be possible even though I'm no expert by far. I would probably guess that some tweaking to the extension's code or maybe the browser's might enable this to work...? Either way, I'm hoping this could be possible to get it working!  If anyone here can help me or if you know of anything, do drop me a line & we can talk! Same thing goes if you have any questions you might need to ask.

This post in of itself is a great idea I think, but I hope it won't be wasted or in vain on my part. 🙄

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help! :) 

Edited by Kjennings92

What are you asking exactly? How to get Adblocker Ultimate working?

Personally I use uBlock Origin. It's a little more complicated to setup and use, but it blocks more than ads, like trackers and any other scripts on webpages that are malicious in some shape or form.

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

36 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

What are you asking exactly? How to get Adblocker Ultimate working?

Personally I use uBlock Origin. It's a little more complicated to setup and use, but it blocks more than ads, like trackers and any other scripts on webpages that are malicious in some shape or form.

In a nutshell, I guess what I was asking earlier is if anyone knows how to get the newer version of it working in the browsers I stated (Yandex & Opera GX) since BOTH of their extensions catalogs don't have the latest version of AdBlocker Ultimate. Plus, I have tried uBlock Origin, but it just doesn't seem like the right adblocker for me. Hope I overwhelm you with all that...

Edited by Kjennings92

1 hour ago, Kjennings92 said:

I'm wondering if Opera is to blame for this since I haven't heard anything from them yet?

Very likely to be an Opera store issue. Or they are lying to you and simply don't have an update. Whichever one.

1 hour ago, Kjennings92 said:

I have tried uBlock Origin, but it just doesn't seem like the right adblocker for me. Hope I overwhelm you with all that...

How exactly is it not the right adblocker for you?

It does pretty much everything you'd normally want from an adblocker and you can add extra lists if you want to.

Which feature are you looking for that ublock doesn't offer? Is it just a matter of interface?? If you need to mess around with your adblocker all the time, it's not doing its job properly. It should just be there, in the background, blocking every ads without any input from you and only once in a while, should you need to click the "picker mode"/block element option to get rid of extra crap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Very likely to be an Opera store issue. Or they are lying to you and simply don't have an update. Whichever one.

How exactly is it not the right adblocker for you?

It does pretty much everything you'd normally want from an adblocker and you can add extra lists if you want to.

Which feature are you looking for that ublock doesn't offer? Is it just a matter of interface?? If you need to mess around with your adblocker all the time, it's not doing its job properly. It should just be there, in the background, blocking every ads without any input from you and only once in a while, should you need to click the "picker mode"/block element option to get rid of extra crap.

For me, it's just down to the UI. Considering the research I've done on AdBlocker Ultimate, they definitely appear to be a very good company out there who are dedicated to their user/customer fanbase. I firmly believe in them to be honest. I haven't heard anything back yet from Opera since I emailed them on the same day I confronted the AdBlocker Ultimate team & the Yandex browser team about this. I wonder if Opera will (maybe sometime soon-ish) get around to updating their extensions catalog?

Edited by Kjennings92

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Please post into correct subforum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Please post into correct subforum.

"Programs & Apps" I would classify this topic as, but IMO, it doesn't really fall under the category of websites per se. Still waiting on the right person(s) to comment if they can help! 🙁

23 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

"Programs & Apps" I would classify this topic as, but IMO, it doesn't really fall under the category of websites per se. Still waiting on the right person(s) to comment if they can help! 🙁

You don't consider adblockers programs? If you are looking at hardware solutions, then Networking or Hobby Electronics are correct places. General Discussion isn't.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

You don't consider adblockers programs? If you are looking at hardware solutions, then Networking or Hobby Electronics are correct places. General Discussion isn't.

Adblockers can be programs in my own opinion, but this topic mainly pertains to browser extensions. General Discussion I believe is the right place for talking about it. If it isn't, then correct me. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Adblockers can be programs in my own opinion, but this topic mainly pertains to browser extensions. General Discussion I believe is the right place for talking about it. If it isn't, then correct me. 🤷‍♂️

Browser = program = this subforum. Seriously dude, only those topics which don't fit to any other subforum can leave to GD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Browser = program = this subforum. Seriously dude, only those topics which don't fit to any other subforum can leave to GD.

My mistake then. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE FOR  YOU ALL: The post I made on the Level1Techs forum did receive 1 response that could be helpful- Modifying/tweaking the code in a nutshell. But I have a confession to make: I've never really done this before, so I'm a little uncertain as exactly how to proceed. [Be sure to look at the 1st comment directly under my post in the link I'm providing.] Link to the Leve1Techs forum post: I Have Reconsidered My Adblocking Options, But There's Still A Problem - Software & Operating Systems / Windows - Level1Techs Forums

So, with that being said, I was wondering if these steps will have to be done in Command Prompt/Powershell, on the GitHub link or some weird combination of steps...? 🤔 Anyway, I would HIGHLY appreciate it if someone could explain better so I understand & can try these steps! :)