Linus Media Group makes $19 Million per year in revenue. Explained... (Corrected)

Ajmal Zahir

My estimate for this is probably around 4 to 8 million.  Just by considering that linus probably pays his 30 employees on average about 100 grand a year so that's just already 3 million to employees then you account for the running costs of a company in that sectre of that size it's probably around 1 to 3 million that's on average 5 million outside of videos.  So if you take into account linus's fairly modest lifestyle and the fact that lmg is expanding and upgrading much faster than linus's lifestyle I assume he puts a lot of the money they would make into profit for expanding.  So I estimate they make around 10 percent to 15 percent profit which would account for they're income being around 5 to 6 million.

1 hour ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

What do you mean? You mean like give back to the employees through the company rather than enjoying the money? If so I agree, Linus doesn't seem money hungry.

Also, LMG website says there is only 30 employees, where did you get your info?

he's hiring 10 new positions, most of the OG crew now have a permanent residence and have a car all thanks to LMG, with 10 more people joining its gonna be more salaries down the road to new employees.

you must be new to LTT content if you think if he's earning that much as OP listed and even a newer to LTT if you think Linus doesn't invest almost 90% of them back to the channel.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Care to explain how respecting other peoples right to privacy is in any way akin to "acting like I own" anything?

This is not about snooping Linus' cheques. It's pretty normal to want to see how much a company makes, specially a company that you like. About business growth in the field and about business in general. This post wasn't about How much Linus make but rather How much LMG makes or How much a company in the tech/YouTube industry makes. I guess it's pretty normal to get to know the revenue and stuff. Linus just happens to be the owner. These are the things that motivates people. Maybe someone who doesn't know about the industry will see something like this and will be willing to give it a shot. 

Also at the end of the video he just straight up gave permission to do this and I am pretty sure he isn't pissed about this post. You are definitely making a scene here and it isn't a big deal as you make it to be.

Also I am not leaking his stuff or anything, just making a guess based on the data available and if anyone in LMG feels uncomfortable with this then I will straight up delete this. Anyway I'd like to stop this conversation with you or this might go on forever. 

idk how to delete posts

Edited by big oof 1

Yeah, LMG is not going to answer their revenue haha.

But they will tell me how much they spent on the computers they bought.
$0

or

the prebuilt series' $2,000~ CAD/pc.

of course as expected. 27% of earnings is ad spots. But really who watches those ad spots? Like PIA or Glasswire. everybody skips the ads, it's kinda become a meme in the community. So I mean, it's kinda ironic that their number 1 source of money is the ads everyone skips! 

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

4 hours ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

Also at the end of the video he just straight up gave permission to do this and I am pretty sure he isn't pissed about this post

There's a difference between calculating it your self for your own information, and calculating it and posting it on their public forum and seeking validation. 

It's the difference between seeking information and doxxing

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 hours ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

*snip

It's a good try, but it's just a try. There's a lot of guesswork here, and you can't build something like this off of guesswork. You need actual numbers for things like employee salaries, for one, and you need to know the various numbers that go into the costs. I agree, Linus' last comment on this did seem something like a challenge to everyone to go figure it out, but I don't expect anyone to ever say, "Bingo!". That's just not something you do with a privately held company outside of very specific circumstances, especially when numbers like the CEO's salary are directly tied to that number.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

There's a difference between calculating it your self for your own information, and calculating it and posting it on their public forum and seeking validation. 

There are literally hundreds of posts lol and he didn't say a thing about these posts, he even has commented on many of these posts to help with the calculations. You can search and see for yourself without being holier than thou. 

2 minutes ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

There are literally hundreds of posts lol and he didn't say a thing about these posts, he even has commented on many of these posts to help with the calculations. You can search and see for yourself without being holier than thou. 

"other people have done it so it's fine" is my most hated argument.

And I'm sure if you search through those posts, you'll also find comments from me saying it's not our business to know how much they much. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

This is not about snooping Linus' cheques. It's pretty normal to want to see how much a company makes, specially a company that you like. About business growth in the field and about business in general. This post wasn't about How much Linus make but rather How much LMG makes or How much a company in the tech/YouTube industry makes. I guess it's pretty normal to get to know the revenue and stuff. Linus just happens to be the owner. These are the things that motivates people. Maybe someone who doesn't know about the industry will see something like this and will be willing to give it a shot. 

Also at the end of the video he just straight up gave permission to do this and I am pretty sure he isn't pissed about this post. You are definitely making a scene here and it isn't a big deal as you make it to be.

Also I am not leaking his stuff or anything, just making a guess based on the data available and if anyone in LMG feels uncomfortable with this then I will straight up delete this. Anyway I'd like to stop this conversation with you or this might go on forever. 

You don't seem to understand your mistake. Honestly I think it would be a waste of time you explain it to you so I'm just going to unsub from this discussion and leave you to speculate openly on something you know nothing about and is none of your business anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

Because he's probably laughing more than the rest of us at how wrong you are. Pulling numbers out of thin air rarely results in accurate data.

The fact he enjoys trolling those who try to invade on his privacy makes me smile.

The absolute last thing I will say in this topic is this. There are financial analysts whose job is to literally guesstimate how much companies are worth who have made guesses about the value of LMG. A quick 5 second Google search will bring you up a much more accurate guess than you could ever make made by people who actually understand the subject and don't need to pull random numbers out of their asses to reach their final value.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

There is no fucking way LMG makes almost 20 mil/year. GTFO

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

I'm not sure where you got the minimum wage from, but it's $14.60/hr in BC. I'd be a little shocked if the majority of employees made less than $25/hr, the GVRD is an expensive place to live. On top of that, why 25 days? 5 days is a working week. More than that, he'd have to pay overtime, unless they're salaried. You also have to times the wage by 1.4x as a general rule of thumb for staff costing, as that covers CCP payments, vacation pay, etc. Not only that, that's base wage. Most probably make more with experience and role, some considerably. You also didn't factor in what Linus takes home, which again, will be substantially more than $25/hr. Though none of that has anything to do with revenue. 

21 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I'd say they have enough that I'm not going to go out of my way to pay them money - especially at the outrageous prices LTTstore.com charges. But in return, I can say that if they decided to stop producing YouTube content and go fully paid, I wouldn't be at all disappointed.

To be fair, they are working with small batches and at times very small suppliers. So. Higher costs are to be expected. 

20 hours ago, PeachGr said:

you didn't even count the electricity or the rent... Expenses are not an easy thing to counter. Linus said that he spend 10.000 to adobe premier alone every year, also on that video he said how much he pays average each editor

I'm pretty sure he owns the buildings...perhaps not outright but I don't think he's renting. Wouldn't really make sense. 

20 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

One question, why do you even care?

Some people have curiousities about businesses and how they're ran, how much they profit, etc. You don't, that's fine. Why do you care that he does? 

18 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Its one thing asking the question, its another entirely to take an uneducated guess based on number you pulled out of thin air then proceed to post that information on their personal site and tag them in it.

It doesn't matter to me at all but it doesn't have to matter for me to have an opinion on it.

The simple fact is, if Linus wanted the public to know then he would have told us, he hasn't which is a direct implication that he doesn't want us to know and that's his prerogative.

Now that said, I'm like 99% sure that Linus enjoys reading these types of post and doesn't actually care about them existing.

Soemthing about assholes...

17 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Care to explain how respecting other peoples right to privacy is in any way akin to "acting like I own" anything?

Since we're going down this route, there's a little thing in life called boundaries. Some people like to set them in different aspects of their lives and its up to everyone else to respect them.

Linus doesn't want us to know, you should respect that. Taking an uneducated guess based on numbers you made up is, in my opinion, not respecting Linus's right to privacy.

If you take issue with that then I'm sorry but that's your issue to deal with.

If you can't accept criticism for your actions then its probably not a great idea to post them on a public forum.

Edit - And to quote Linus verbatim from his last video on the topic

(To be clear, I'm not attacking you personally here, your simply means everyone except him, his wife and employees)

Please. That's going a little overboard. He's not going to get upset at people guessing, and all that information is public. You can go look at what the property cost, and figure out what his taxes and running costs are from that. None of this is hard, none of it is private information. 

You say if you can't accept criticism...yet you seem to have a hard time taking it yourself. 

16 hours ago, big oof 1 said:

My estimate for this is probably around 4 to 8 million.  Just by considering that linus probably pays his 30 employees on average about 100 grand a year so that's just already 3 million to employees then you account for the running costs of a company in that sectre of that size it's probably around 1 to 3 million that's on average 5 million outside of videos.  So if you take into account linus's fairly modest lifestyle and the fact that lmg is expanding and upgrading much faster than linus's lifestyle I assume he puts a lot of the money they would make into profit for expanding.  So I estimate they make around 10 percent to 15 percent profit which would account for they're income being around 5 to 6 million.

Not sure where you got all their numbers, but most of the staff definitely does not make $100k/yr.

While Linus does love modestly, he also does have a nice house, which is not cheap in the GVRD. 

15 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

he's hiring 10 new positions, most of the OG crew now have a permanent residence and have a car all thanks to LMG, with 10 more people joining its gonna be more salaries down the road to new employees.

you must be new to LTT content if you think if he's earning that much as OP listed and even a newer to LTT if you think Linus doesn't invest almost 90% of them back to the channel.

Most people who work even minimum wage cars have their own place and vehicle...

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

Are you kidding me? Comparing it to doxxing is a little much. It's a forum, he's trying to start conversation. It's harming no one. 

8 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

There is no fucking way LMG makes almost 20 mil/year. GTFO

Do you think that's too high or too low? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Since we're going down this route, there's a little thing in life called boundaries. Some people like to set them in different aspects of their lives and its up to everyone else to respect them.

Linus doesn't want us to know, you should respect that. Taking an uneducated guess based on numbers you made up is, in my opinion, not respecting Linus's right to privacy.

If you take issue with that then I'm sorry but that's your issue to deal with.

If you can't accept criticism for your actions then its probably not a great idea to post them on a public forum.

Edit - And to quote Linus verbatim from his last video on the topic

(To be clear, I'm not attacking you personally here, your simply means everyone except him, his wife and employees)

To be fair Linus did say in the video talking about how money is made that there’s enough info out there to have a good estimate if you want to do that. So essentially your rant about boundaries is moot. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

They do a good job.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

While Linus does love modestly, he also does have a nice house, which is not cheap in the GVRD. 

did you not read the rest of what i said? have you watched any of his Wan show deep dives about the behind the scenes? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker