Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1060 -> 5700XT didn't give me a huge performance increase.

Hi!
So I just bought a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT, expecting a day-night difference compared to my 1060. However, I don't feel like there was much of a jump - my CS:GO fps were basically the same and Rocket League is steadily locked at 144, not allowing me to see an increase. The largest increases were in Sea of thieves, where I went from about 60 fps to 90, as well as COD Warzone with similar numbers. HOWEVER, in both of those titles, the framerate was inconsistent and would often drop into the low 30s. I'm thinking this has something to do with my ageing 4771. 

 

Could it be the case that a 5700XT is entirely overkill in my use case? I'm not really playing any state of the art games (as you can see) and framerate is more important to me than resolution or graphical fidelity. That said, I do realize that there is a certain level of future-proofing in buying an overkill card. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gingercan said:

framerate is more important to me than resolution or graphical fidelity

A CPU upgrade might have been more meaningful. Or, a small CPU and GPU upgrade together such as a 1660 super and a ryzen 3 3100

 

That said, make sure your current CPU is doing everything it can. Are you running dual channel ram? What speed?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gingercan said:

HOWEVER, in both of those titles, the framerate was inconsistent and would often drop into the low 30s. I'm thinking this has something to do with my ageing 4771. 

Yep. Usually when you see drops like that, it's almost certainly the CPU not being able to keep up. I would have kept the 1060 and upgraded to a modern CPU/Motherboard. 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

A CPU upgrade might have been more meaningful. Or, a small CPU and GPU upgrade together such as a 1660 super and a ryzen 3 3100

 

That said, make sure your current CPU is doing everything it can. Are you running dual channel ram? What speed?

My current cpu is indeed doing everything it can. It's not overclockable, but it has a good after market cooler and the ram in 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz dual channel. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yep. Usually when you see drops like that, it's almost certainly the CPU not being able to keep up. I would have kept the 1060 and upgraded to a modern CPU/Motherboard. 

I'm likely upgrading to a 3600 during Black Friday, so I'm actually just contemplating if I should return the 5700XT and keep rolling with my 1060 or if I should keep the GPU as well and just have a new PC basically. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your averages/max are higher but your lows are the same/similar that is typically a CPU bottleneck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

If your averages/max are higher but your lows are the same/similar that is typically a CPU bottleneck.

Well there it is, then. Gonna go ahead and get a 3600 and see if it gets better 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5700XT is miles faster than a 1060, so yes CPU bottleneck.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wheresmehammer said:

5700XT is miles faster than a 1060, so yes CPU bottleneck.

Would I notice the difference even at 1080p144hz? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gingercan said:

Would I notice the difference even at 1080p144hz? 

Yes, the 5700-XT can max almost all games and still be in the 100-144FPS range at 1080P paired with a good CPU. My monitor is 144hz.

 

 

These are my card settings.

 

5700-XT Aorus.

Undervolt, steady 1950-2000mhz and +50 on memory for 1800mhz. 175-195 watts used. 66c max core temp, 100c max hot spot temp. No difference in performance from stock.

 

 

Power draw before.

1.2v 2100mhz core, 1750mhz memory. 74c max core temp, 111c hot spot temp. 1850mhz-2050mhz, core throttling at 110c hot spot temp reached. 210-240watts of power used.

 

Untitled.png.a53a2545335cbe3a06b54c7e141feb9e.png.7454103c9e082ef39a008d4f406555ef.png

 

 

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wheresmehammer said:

Yes, the 5700-XT can max almost all games and still be in the 100-144FPS range at 1080P paired with a good CPU. My monitor is 144hz.

 

 

These are my card settings.

Hey thanks, that's really helpful!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gingercan said:

Hey thanks, that's really helpful!

No problem, i do hope it all works out for you, feel free to ask for more help upon getting your new CPU & motherboard if you need it.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gingercan said:

Hi!
So I just bought a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT, expecting a day-night difference compared to my 1060. However, I don't feel like there was much of a jump - my CS:GO fps were basically the same and Rocket League is steadily locked at 144, not allowing me to see an increase. The largest increases were in Sea of thieves, where I went from about 60 fps to 90, as well as COD Warzone with similar numbers. HOWEVER, in both of those titles, the framerate was inconsistent and would often drop into the low 30s. I'm thinking this has something to do with my ageing 4771

 

Could it be the case that a 5700XT is entirely overkill in my use case? I'm not really playing any state of the art games (as you can see) and framerate is more important to me than resolution or graphical fidelity. That said, I do realize that there is a certain level of future-proofing in buying an overkill card. 

I imagine you could see a giant improvement with a more up to date cpu. You will probably be able to find a ryzen3000 and b550 board this black friday/boxing day/cyber monday if you're interested.

 

CSGO can run on mashed potatoes with copper wire running out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

I imagine you could see a giant improvement with a more up to date cpu. You will probably be able to find a ryzen3000 and b550 board this black friday/boxing day/cyber monday if you're interested.

That's the plan! Do you reckon a B550 is absolutely crucial of would a B450 be sufficient?

13 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

CSGO can run on mashed potatoes with copper wire running out of it.

Thanks for the imagery 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gingercan said:

That's the plan! Do you reckon a B550 is absolutely crucial of would a B450 be sufficient?

Thanks for the imagery 

You can get away with a b450 just fine.

But having the ability to upgrade to ryzen5000 and or having pcie4 if you get a mean gpu could be worth it depending on the price difference.

You should be more than fine though with your listed uses.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StarsMars said:

You can get away with a b450 just fine.

But having the ability to upgrade to ryzen5000 and or having pcie4 if you get a mean gpu could be worth it depending on the price difference.

You should be more than fine though with your listed uses.

 

I'll keep an eye out for either. If the price difference isn't insane, it'd make sense to go with the newer chipset. I've noticed it's a bit difficult to find affordable MOBOs that are mATX.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wheresmehammer said:

5700XT is miles faster than a 1060, so yes CPU bottleneck.

roughly 80% faster

 

have you changed any of the settings you test? sure 5700xt can go ultra all way , while you may only be using high for 1060

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SAVE-12-HK said:

roughly 80% faster

 

have you changed any of the settings you test? sure 5700xt can go ultra all way , while you may only be using high for 1060

I am not making sense of your question, can you rephrase it please?

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gingercan said:

my CS:GO fps were basically the same and Rocket League is steadily locked at 144, not allowing me to see an increase.

Sounds like you may have v-sync on, which will always limit your framerate.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272CR

Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Sounds like you may have v-sync on, which will always limit your framerate.

Yeah exactly! I have freesync on. Just mentioned it to highlight the fact that I may not have needed the  5700xt :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gingercan said:

Yeah exactly! I have freesync on. Just mentioned it to highlight the fact that I may not have needed the  5700xt :)

If you're playing with v-sync, and lower settings, then yeah.

 

If you ever turn off v-sync or increase settings, you'll get MUCH better framerates out of the 5700XT. You'll also get much lower input lag. And if it's anything like my setup, then you won't get any screen tearing, even without v-sync and across a large variety of framerates. (I don't use freesync on my monitor because it causes it to flicker)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272CR

Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

If you're playing with v-sync, and lower settings, then yeah.

 

If you ever turn off v-sync or increase settings, you'll get MUCH better framerates out of the 5700XT. You'll also get much lower input lag. And if it's anything like my setup, then you won't get any screen tearing, even without v-sync and across a large variety of framerates. (I don't use freesync on my monitor because it causes it to flicker)

I don't use Freesync either because of the flicker.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

If you're playing with v-sync, and lower settings, then yeah.

 

If you ever turn off v-sync or increase settings, you'll get MUCH better framerates out of the 5700XT. You'll also get much lower input lag. And if it's anything like my setup, then you won't get any screen tearing, even without v-sync and across a large variety of framerates. (I don't use freesync on my monitor because it causes it to flicker)

 

I've actually started to get occasional stuttering and framedrops in specifically Rocket League with my 5700XT that I didn't get with my 1060. Playing with the exact same settings and with G-/Freesync enabled (monitor supports both). Could it be a driver issue or a faulty card? With my current clock, the card is otherwise stable 

Link to post
Share on other sites

raise the resolution with vsr/dsr and you will see a difference by far

 

you become less dependent on cpu then

rl and go are cpu dependent games if i recall though so raising res will do alittle relieving if i recall

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gingercan said:

 

I've actually started to get occasional stuttering and framedrops in specifically Rocket League with my 5700XT that I didn't get with my 1060. Playing with the exact same settings and with G-/Freesync enabled (monitor supports both). Could it be a driver issue or a faulty card? With my current clock, the card is otherwise stable 

Try turning off v-sync and freesync. Also try a reboot of your system.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272CR

Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 8:12 AM, Wheresmehammer said:

Yes, the 5700-XT can max almost all games and still be in the 100-144FPS range at 1080P paired with a good CPU. My monitor is 144hz.

 

 

These are my card settings.

 

5700-XT Aorus.

Undervolt, steady 1950-2000mhz and +50 on memory for 1800mhz. 175-195 watts used. 66c max core temp, 100c max hot spot temp. No difference in performance from stock.

 

 

Power draw before.

1.2v 2100mhz core, 1750mhz memory. 74c max core temp, 111c hot spot temp. 1850mhz-2050mhz, core throttling at 110c hot spot temp reached. 210-240watts of power used.

 

Untitled.png.a53a2545335cbe3a06b54c7e141feb9e.png.7454103c9e082ef39a008d4f406555ef.png

 

 

It's really weird to me AMD couldn't tune their cards properly so they don't run into thermal throttling by default... Really off putting tbh, especially that power draw, wow 

RYZEN 5 3600 | GIGABYTE 3070 VISION OC | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×