Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone else feel like there is no reason to upgrade?

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

Agreed, Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is something i will never understand. The most common one these days being smart phone, and i feel like we're starting to see people upgrading CPUs every generation.

Smartphones have legit reason for upgrade - broken screen repairs costing half of new phone... Until proper screen protecting case is on the market. All those hard cases don't absorb shock at all. What we need is a soft case or the crazy one with springs...

I guess it would make more sense to upgrade if I could sell my old hardware, but local demand is non-existent.

I do not upgrade my computer at all. What I do is aim to buy a new one around 5-6 years so I can keep up with software and games but also due to there higher risk of hardware fail after 5 years most HDD and SSD.  It the SSD one that like to fail more then HDD, you know there limit on how write  you can do with the SSD. I have not had CPU fail even over 15 year of use, but have ram, bios and one GPU fail, and lot of CD / DVD go. I think CPU and GPU can last over 20 years easy.  I have know just to buy a new computer as I just feel like it. 

9 hours ago, DarthSmartt said:

I honestly don’t think I need anything for Christmas. I’ll just enjoy the holiday and give some gifts. 

Not really my issue. I just thought it was odd that I’m just not as pc interested as I used to be. Since I was 9 or 10 I always wanted something for my pc. This year is the only year I really don’t want anything lol.

Again... Just rambling. Merry Christmas

Good status update.  No real question here, since it seems like you're asking if we're happy with our setups.  Hopefully if you build right, you are for a few years before wanting an upgrade.

This holiday season be thankful you're healthy and have more than most people.  *shrug*

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

8 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Hey, kiddo. May I make a suggestion regarding your wish or rather lack of for christmas? If you don't wish nothing for yourself maybe think about something your parents can donate money or something to in your name? 

There are generally xmas trees in walmarts that have needy kids christmas lists on them. I have helped out at least one kid every year for the pas couple years. It feels good. I normaly only have enough spare money to get stuff for the younger kids, but if I had the money to get the stuff for the older kids I would, I know what it was like being the kid that didnt have stuff in middle and highschool.  This would also make your parents feel good knowing that they raised a kid who cares about others.

well I wish I had a decent gpu so I can record and display better but my pc is generally doing great

Cameras main canon xti Secondary Panasonic GX85 spare Samsung ST68 and nikion s4000

main HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 14GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - 160GB HDD - MSI GT 710 - dual DVD roms 

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD                                                     

storage server - AMD X2 250 - ASUS m4a785-m - 4GB ram - 500GB HDD - 320GB HDD - 80GB HDD                                  

myanimelist

#Muricaparrotgang 

#animepfpgang                                                                                   

"There’s a fine line between perseverance and failure to accept reality'- Tim leatherman

Depends on where you're coming from. My core i3 8130u can barely run windows  but a 1080ti and a 6700k will probably last you a few more years depending on what you play. I've haven't been fortunate enough to get Christmas or any gifts in general but I managed to get a job in the summer where I earned 2.5k so I have a 5600x + 6800xt build planned.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

This is a sentiment that I now feel due to my recent upgrade to Ryzen 4000 and finally having a DGPU. Nothing really challanges my hardware so much I feel the need to upgrade so things have stagnated a bit. Even things I used to care about like my phone no longer are a consideration of upgrading despite it being a budget 2018 phone. If anything just ask for some quality of life things for christmas 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK3): Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 (GDDR6), Vega 6 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 250 GB 960 Evo NVME SSD, 1 TB WD Blue, 15.6 in 1080p IPS display 

2020 Acer Nitro 5 

Secondary laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile,12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD,  15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That) 

Useless Chrome Machine (Blanny): Celeron N3060, HD 400, 4 GB DDR3, 32 GB EMMC, 768p TN Display

2016 HP Stream 11.6 in

Switch Lite: Turquoise model, 64 GB Samsung Evo SD card

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

It comes down to how much disposable income you have, where you could otherwise put that money and/or if you want the latest/greatest. The money does support whoever you are going whether that's AMD/Nvidia/Intel etc.

This discussion sent me on a nostalgia trip looking at Radeon 5970/6970/6990 and GTX 590/560 pics. That generation was my entry point to PC gaming that wasn't done on the family computer. Those card designs are special to me even though I never actually owned any of them (I got an ASUS 560ti CU2).

Also, yeah it seems there's a decent difference between my 6700k and a 10900k... But when you consider the time difference and number of extra cores it looks a little wanting. Zen3 pushes me over the edge of acceptable cost/performance upgrade thankfully. I do think I actually NEED more performance though because a surprising number of games manage to push my 6700k (4.5GHz) to high percentages or even pin it. Half Life Alyx was right on the edge of what it could do, and even lagged a bit due to my CPU not keeping pace.

I don't know what component most affects this, but Discord screen share REALLY tanks my performance in both Windows and Linux and even in relatively undemanding games. I figured until now it was a CPU problem given my GTX1070 should be able to handle video encoding without sweating.

I struggle with PS3 emulation with my current hardware and some games, the PS3 had some really good games, and emulation of the system can push most PC's way harder than PC games.

If you don't plan to get into emulation and you can play most games just fine, then sure, I see no reason to upgrade at all.

My last PC lasted me like 10 years before I upgraded anything lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Wow nice parents you have there man or sis???

I do agree about companies making their product cheaper. But, the thing is in the PC space anyway. There's not enough competition, sure you have your AMD with Intel and AMD with Nvidia. The thing is two companies isn't enough. Since now at least AMD and Nvidia are now basically best friends, laugh at the world as people are trying to buy their cards that are out of stock.

The best example of company making their product cheaper in the tech world anyway, are phone companies. With how affordable chinese phones are. Most companies are forced to step on each other pricing.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!