One of Bay Area's few Fry's Electronics stores closes (5 Stores remaining)

SpikeSpiegel

The Bay Area will begin 2020 with one fewer Fry's Electronics store.

The chain's Palo Alto store, located on Portage Ave., announced its closure on Dec. 27. Palo Alto Online first reported a sign on the store's door that reads:

"To our Valued Customers: Due to the end of our lease, our Palo Alto store will close permanently on December 27, 2019. It has been a pleasure serving you at this location these many years, and we stand ready to provide all your electronics needs at Frys.com, or one of our five other Bay Area store locations. Thank you!"

The Palo Alto location was Fry's oldest; the company was founded in Sunnyvale in the mid-1980s. Each Fry's has a distinct theme. The Palo Alto store was Wild West-themed, with wooden signs, cowboy mannequins and green-shaded light fixtures.

A company representative told Venture Beat in September the closure is due to the location's lease expiring. Palo Alto Online notes the store is part of a 60-acre area "the city is eyeing for redevelopment."

There has been widespread speculation about Fry's closures across the country. Shoppers at Fry's around the Bay Area have recently commented on empty shelves, as it seemed the company was no longer restocking many items. The company has steadfastly denied the chain is going out of business, chalking up blank spots to simple restocking delays. Company spokespeople have also pointed to business moving online to their website.

The Bay Area now has five Fry's left: Campbell, Concord, Fremont, San Jose and Sunnyvale.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

R.I.P i guess its only a matter of time before the one nearest me closes, it's extremely sad, i remember picking out the parts for a phenom 9550 build and feeling like hot shit, as well as buying appliances, and what not there. last time i was there it was mostly empty, almost no pc parts to be found, mainly just old stock, some fridges and miscellaneous items, i may have to go there and take some pictures in the future.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

it's unfortunate. Luckily I live near a MicroCenter though soooooo....

Competition is gonna compete. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Campbell, Concord, Fremont, San Jose and Sunnyvale.

hold up, YOU'RE MISSING ONE, there's one in wilsonville oregon

https://www.frys.com/ac/storeinfo/wilsonville-location-frys-electronics-hours-maps-directions

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

sadly when the frys opened, it drove out almost all of the competition, and now theres very few tech stores left in my area, and tend to not keep stock. I would kill for frys to restock, or for a micro center to come in.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Updated News from SF Gate

Bay Area institution Fry's Electronics closed another location, leaving just four open in the region.

"To our valued customers, our Campbell location is permanently closed as of today," Fry's posted on Twitter on Nov. 10. "Fry's will repurpose this space in the near future."

The company was founded by the three Fry brothers, who invested their cut of the profits after father Charles sold California's Fry's Supermarkets chain in the early 1970s. They opened their first electronics store in Sunnyvale, and it would bill itself as a one-stop shop for Silicon Valley types in the '80s and '90s.

Each Fry's has a distinct and sometimes elaborate theme. The Campbell store was on E. Hamilton Ave., and decorated with an ancient Egypt theme.

This is the second Bay Area closure in less than a year. The chain's Palo Alto store, located on Portage Ave., announced its closure on Dec. 27, 2019. The Palo Alto location was Fry's oldest; the store was Wild West-themed, with wooden signs, cowboy mannequins and green-shaded light fixtures. A company representative told Venture Beat the closure was due to the location's lease expiring. Palo Alto Online notes the store is part of a 60-acre area "the city is eyeing for redevelopment."

There has been widespread speculation about Fry's closures across the country. Shoppers at Fry's around the Bay Area have commented on empty shelves, as it seemed the company was no longer restocking many items. The company has steadfastly denied the chain is going out of business, chalking up blank spots to simple restocking delays. Company spokespeople have also pointed to business moving online to their website.

The Bay Area now has four Fry's left: Concord, Fremont, San Jose and Sunnyvale.

Frys was on borrowed time. Anyone who stepped into one of their stores recently have seen empty shelves and open spaces. I'm amazed they managed to keep the lights on frankly.

For all their faults, they did really well in the late 90s and early 2000's. But somewhere along the line the industry changed.

• No one purchases physical media (CDs, DVDs) much anymore.
  • Fry's wasn't the place for appliances.
  • Their computer section sucked for sales support
  • Rarely did I see anyone walk the aisle of the electronics section (think Radio Shack back when people actually picked up a soldering gun).
  • Their video game section was ok at best. Though I do miss the days of boxed PC games; it was the artwork.

Micro Center on the other hand turned around well. It's now the geek mecca of America! Just about everything I'm looking for can be found in that store.

I haven't been to the Fry's near me (Stonecrest Blvd in San Diego) since before a certain thing started .... (Hey what's the name of the city in southern California where Interstate 15 and state route 91 intersect, and what's the name of a type of computer software that copies itself and injects its code into other programs / files?  (Also I apparently got it wrong in another place I asked the same thing, now I forget where that was, want to go correct it))

I wonder how long it will be until....

1242701799_ESOEXfpU4AEjZDR-FrysStonecrestBl-MicroCenter.thumb.jpg.c9c4d6e270fcae0a599e5d132a67fcc8.jpg

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Welp that sucks. Have a lot of memories going there as a kid. Probably  gonna go one more time. 

Don't bother.  It will ruin your memories.

I and several friends fully believe that Frys is simply a money laundering operation at this point. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

I remember watching a Bitwit video where he talked about all the locations he visited being completely devoid of any stock. He then flew down on a whim to CES to check out the Vegas location, as people had been posting that it was seemingly full of stock.

He entered assuming that it was completely stocked and that all the other locations had simply diverted shipments to Vegas so that way CES customers would be presented with a good view of things, but after he walked around for just a few minutes it was pretty clear that the store had basically just taken anything they could get their hands on and threw it on shelves.

It was a pretty sad display honestly.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

yea fry's in cali have been going down hill for years. 10 years ago they always had stock, were the go to's. 8 years ago stock had diminished. actual empty sections. 5 years ago you could barely find anything, and been that way since. what little stock they had was usually old stuff, literally over half the store was bare shelves.

last thing I bought was a laptop there 7-10 years ago. man 600 mobile and 2nd gen intel were a long time ago

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A local arts shop said they were having "re-stocking delays" when most of the shelves were empty. They are now closed.

Seems to be the same thing happening at Fry's.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

The Bay Area will begin 2020 with one fewer Fry's Electronics store.

The chain's Palo Alto store, located on Portage Ave., announced its closure on Dec. 27. Palo Alto Online first reported a sign on the store's door that reads:

"To our Valued Customers: Due to the end of our lease, our Palo Alto store will close permanently on December 27, 2019

Ok I have to ask, is this a joke? (because it can't be typos..........) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

Frys was on borrowed time. Anyone who stepped into one of their stores recently have seen empty shelves and open spaces. I'm amazed they managed to keep the lights on frankly.

For all their faults, they did really well in the late 90s and early 2000's. But somewhere along the line the industry changed.

• No one purchases physical media (CDs, DVDs) much anymore.
  • Fry's wasn't the place for appliances.
  • Their computer section sucked for sales support
  • Rarely did I see anyone walk the aisle of the electronics section (think Radio Shack back when people actually picked up a soldering gun).
  • Their video game section was ok at best. Though I do miss the days of boxed PC games; it was the artwork.

Micro Center on the other hand turned around well. It's now the geek mecca of America! Just about everything I'm looking for can be found in that store.

Yeah you can't run a business without inventory. Probably would have lasted a but longer if they had any stock left for people to even buy. I think stores really have to put in the extra effort to complete against online retailers like Newegg and Amazon. Microcenter is very good ar that as I would rather pick up something from Microcenter than order online as they have a fantastic return policy and I can get what I want immediately instead of waiting for shipping. Its super nice when I can just take my stuff back if the product is defective in any way and get a new one instead of waiting to return them to the manufacturer or the online retailer. Its super nice because I don't have to go without a computer like I would if I had to send the part in and have it replaced by the manufacturer or online retailer. The other thing they are super good about is you can order your stuff online ahead of time and go in and pick it up at the store. I look at their website for my local store to see any deals or new items that I want and pick them out if they catch my interests. Its just overall a great place to shop and its sad to see that frys couldn't do something similar. 

-> Moved to General Discussion

This thread doesn't meet Tech News guidelines (missing summary and personal take), but also isn't actually Tech News as its about store closing, not even whole company going bankrupt or otherwise stopping business.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Man, I still remember the Fry's that I tended to pass in the City of Industry back when I lived in California. Sucks to see them fade away, but at the same time, electronics stores have changed while Fry's hasn't.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

39 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Man, I still remember the Fry's that I tended to pass in the City of Industry back when I lived in California. Sucks to see them fade away, but at the same time, electronics stores have changed while Fry's hasn't.

Sadly mine closed up the week after Christmas in 2019.

There are 4 Fry's near me in DFW and they have been dead for almost 2 years now.

17 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It wasn't so long ago that I thought Microcenter was going to collapse from Fry's.... prices were too high, no package deals, etc.

Microcenter turned things around and Fry's suffered the collapse.  So odd considering Home Depot/Lowes business models work.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi