Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Behringer Combo is quiet

Go to solution Solved by The Flying Sloth,

If the mic isn't loud enough for you just get closer to it and increase the gain, so long as you're not clipping you'll be fine.....

 

If that's not enough gain grab an inline preamp.

Hi All, 

 

I have a Behringer XM8500 connected to a Behringer UMC22 + 48v Phatom Power ands it is quiet.  I have ramped it up to 80+ gain for people to hear me. 

 

Mic is 15 cm away.  Tested on Linux Arch and MacBook Pro Big Sur. 

 

Is the problem the interface(bit enough power), cable or mic?  I am new to this kind of setup.  Any advice welcome.

 

Squirrel

AMD R7 2700 | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | B450M Mortar  | GTX 1070 6GB | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | BitFenix Phenom M | Corsair AX760 | Khadas Soundboard + JDS Labs Atom | Debian 10 SID

 

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Hi All, 

 

I have a Behringer XM8500 connected to a Behringer UMC22 + 48v Phatom Power ands it is quiet.  I have ramped it up to 80+ gain for people to hear me. 

 

Mic is 15 cm away.  Tested on Linux Arch and MacBook Pro Big Sur. 

 

Is the problem the interface(bit enough power), cable or mic?  I am new to this kind of setup.  Any advice welcome.

 

Squirrel

The XM8500 is a dynamic microphone, it is designed for your mouth to be practically touching the microphone. This is not an ideal microphone for streaming / voice com setups. You should be looking for a condenser microphone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

The XM8500 is a dynamic microphone, it is designed for your mouth to be practically touching the microphone. This is not an ideal microphone for streaming / voice com setups. You should be looking for a condenser microphone.

Few points:

- I deliberately bought a dynamic microphone

- I needed strong off axis rejection, due to construction works outside, noisy neighbours, and a mechanical keyboard 

- I am in an untreated room with high reverb.  

 

So obviously, I should not be looking for a condenser microphone.    Maybe ask my requirements first......

AMD R7 2700 | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | B450M Mortar  | GTX 1070 6GB | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | BitFenix Phenom M | Corsair AX760 | Khadas Soundboard + JDS Labs Atom | Debian 10 SID

 

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Few points:

- I deliberately bought a dynamic microphone

- I needed strong off axis rejection, due to construction works outside, noisy neighbours, and a mechanical keyboard 

- I am in untreated room with high reverb.  

 

So obviously, I should not be looking for a condenser microphone.    Maybe ask my requirements first......

Chill with the passive aggressiveness. If you want to use a dynamic microphone, there is only one solution, and that is to move the microphone way closer to your mouth. I still think you might be more comfortable with a supercardioid or even shotgun condenser.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

Chill with the passive aggressiveness. If you want to use a dynamic microphone, there is only one solution, and that is to move the microphone way closer to your mouth. I still think you might be more comfortable with a supercardioid or even shotgun condenser.

I told you straight up what the problem with your comment was. I wasn't exactly subtle about it. Being direct is the complete opposite of passive aggression. 

 

This microphone provides enough off axis rejection, supercardioid doesn't make sense. 

 

If I am getting the outcome of this combo as designed, then I will just raise the gain no problem. 

 

 

 

 

AMD R7 2700 | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | B450M Mortar  | GTX 1070 6GB | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | BitFenix Phenom M | Corsair AX760 | Khadas Soundboard + JDS Labs Atom | Debian 10 SID

 

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

I told you straight up what the problem with your comment was. I wasn't exactly subtle about it. Being direct is the complete opposite of passive aggression. 

 

This microphone provides enough off axis rejection, supercardioid doesn't make sense. 

 

If I am getting the outcome of this combo as designed, then I will just raise the gain no problem. 

 

 

 

 

Right, your problem is not that the microphone is not providing enough off axis rejection, your problem is that it is not providing enough output, or am I missing something? If you have no problem, what is this thread about?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×