Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys,

I have been building pc's for a little while now, but never ventured into water cooling, not even ever buying an AIO. I was wondering what the cheapest (roughly) custom cooling setup could cost. I'm not talking about the PC components, just the water cooling parts really. Imagine this is for a system with just one GPU and relatively large case

I have little to no idea what exactly it takes, I'm thinking a pump, a reservoir, a few pipes, and blocks for the CPU and GPU, is that right? How much would the most basic config of these parts cost?

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

You'll need a radiator too there is an excellent thread about this that you should check out:

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: *planned* CPU: AMD 5600X / 5800X | GPU: 3070ti (When released) | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280 (Planning for custom watercooling in spring 2021 after I bought the GPU) | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC: CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

4 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

Hi guys,

I have been building pc's for a little while now, but never ventured into water cooling, not even ever buying an AIO. I was wondering what the cheapest (roughly) custom cooling setup could cost. I'm not talking about the PC components, just the water cooling parts really. Imagine this is for a system with just one GPU and relatively large case

I have little to no idea what exactly it takes, I'm thinking a pump, a reservoir, a few pipes, and blocks for the CPU and GPU, is that right? How much would the most basic config of these parts cost?

oh and also, its not necessary to cool the gpu just if you want to

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: *planned* CPU: AMD 5600X / 5800X | GPU: 3070ti (When released) | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280 (Planning for custom watercooling in spring 2021 after I bought the GPU) | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC: CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

One block, two fittings, and tubing/tubing clamps for each component in the system (Pump/res (either combo or separate), water block(s) radiator(s))

Expect to pay somewhere around $800 (USD) for a complete loop that includes a CPU and GPU block.

If you've never designed a loop yourself, Corsair's configurator is a good place to start. It's by no means the end-all-be-all though. You're best off looking up custom loops in your system to get an idea of what you'll be doing and/or what layout you like best.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/custom-cooling-configurator/your-pc-configuration

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

13 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

Hi guys,

One cooling block that fits your application, a pump/res combo that fits into your case, a radiator that fits into your case and is not too small (the bigger the better), then at least 2 fittings per component and tubing, at least distilled water as a coolant + biocide, either vinegar or some houshold cleaner to prep your radiator (Cilit Bang is known to work well). Make sure not to mix metals. Stick with copper and/or nickel-plated copper. Stay away from aluminium stuff.

Even when going for cheap but decent stuff, a radiator 240-280 radiator costs between 50-80 bucks, so does a CPU block (GPU blocks more like 100-180), the pump res incl. a pump 100+, a regular compression fitting for flexible tubing is like 3-4 bucks each (you might also need some adaptor fittings and turns and stuff) summing up easily to 40+ (always buy at least 1 more fitting than you need), add another 20 bucks for tubing, 10-20 bucks for the coolant, biocide and another 5-10 for the Cillit Bang stuff or vinegar to clean your rads before building the loop. It's hard to get anything done under 300-350 bucks. Bigger loops, better parts, more complex tube runs, etc and you will easily go beyond 600-800.

Bottom line: you don't do custom loop water cooling because it has outstanding price to performance ratings ...

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

@Enzo1001 @Semper @bowrilla Maybe a project for another time going on the cost of it all ahahaha, Thank you for your input  you guys

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

EKwb sells complete CPU water cooling kits.

Basically, they put all the parts you need into a box with instruction manual(s)

Pump / reservoir / fittings / coolant mixture / tubing / CPU block / radiator / fans thermal paste, etc, etc.

Starts at $260 USD.

If you want, you can get a GPU waterblock, more tubing, extra pair of fittings, some plugs, and you can cool both CPU + GPU, too.

You'd want a 360mm radiator kit though, rather than the 240mm.

image.png.a73e06ded783dc663d478354606ae0cc.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

you dont need to spend that much money, if you dont want complete High end stuff.
I got a CPU Block from aliExpress for 15€ (about 15$) and a 280mm copper radiator for 40€. I added a few meters of 8mm clear tubing(5€) from home depot and a cheap aquarium pump from ebay  (6€). Now, I also have a GPU Block (not full cover) for also about 15€ and I added a fan below the GPU to cool the VRAM and Power stages. It works fine and I think I paid about 80€ plus shipping, so still under 100$. An EK block might give me 2 to 3 degrees better cooling, but I am fine with this and my System is really quiet

Plenty of options out there to go cheaper. Especially with using an older card. I just sold a block for that card for 40 bucks. 
Only thing I’d spend a decent amount on is the pump. Just a good d5. A simple $10 res. Some tubing and barb fittings. No need for clamps or compression fittings at first. 
Then a rad from China if you’re not in a rush. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz