Let’s discuss motherboards for “most people”

kewtz

The build forum is going nuts with 5800x suggestions (which I think is silly), and 5600x and 5900x...

Most people will choose 16-32gb or RAM, want 1080-1440p gaming and no OC. We can also assume a Nvidia gfx slant for another week or so. 

Let’s discuss and narrow down some good well-rounded boards for ATX, mATX and ITX.

I’ll start: 

Asus ROG Strix for ATX and ITX.

For mATX, the Asus ROG Strix. 

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

9 minutes ago, kewtz said:

Asus ROG Strix for ATX and ITX.

the only strix product id recommend is the b550-f strix is mainly cheap bullshit that relies on branding.

and you can't just say "the rog strix" there's multiple...

dont get me wrong ROG releases good mobos, but none of the strix series are great.

The build forum is going nuts with 5800x suggestions (which I think is silly), and 5600x and 5900x...

whats wrong with the 5800x? its a good 8 core cpu with upgrade options on the same platform. most people don't need 12 but can use more than six.

Most people will choose 16-32gb or RAM, want 1080-1440p gaming and no OC

so? 16 or 32gb is fine, 1080p or 1440 is where the value is right now, and OC has little return instead of just letting it boost in 2020

but anyways

ATX: b550-f, b550 pro (gigabyte) good looks, good vrms, good price

M-ATX: b550m pro (gigabyte), good looks, good vrm, good price

ITX: Gigabyte x570-I Auros pro Good look, good vrms, good price

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

whats wrong with the 5800x?

I don’t see the value when compared to the 5600x or 5900x. 

What boards do you like and why? 

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

3 minutes ago, kewtz said:

I don’t see the value when compared to the 5600x or 5900x. 

What boards do you like and why? 

The 5800x is pointless 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

15 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

the only strix product id recommend is the b550-f strix is mainly cheap bullshit that relies on branding.

and you can't just say "the rog strix" there's multiple...

dont get me wrong ROG releases good mobos, but none of the strix series are great.

You're right, the Strix series isn't great. It's not trying to be, but it works. Strix is just the "budget" option of the ROG brand and they're not bad. Not expensive either while not being the cheapest.

There are many decent boards out I think.

Gigabyte Aorous - cheapest boards I know of with ARGB.

MSI Tomahawk - decent all round

Asus ROG Strix - Feature rich with easy to use BIOS and probably the best onboard sound card of the reasonably priced cards.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Strix is just the "budget" option of the ROG brand and they're not bad. Not expensive either while not being the cheapest.

they are the b450-f is horrendous, theres almost always a better board with better looks that doesnt suck balls, in the same price point 

AMD blackout rig

they are the b450-f is horrendous, theres almost always a better board with better looks that doesnt suck balls, in the same price point 

I have a B450-f ...it works flawlessly lol. What's so horrendous about it? I got mine on Black Friday deal last year though btw, probably wouldn't buy it at full price. 

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

I have a B450-f ...it works flawlessly lol. What's so horrendous about it? I got mine on Black Friday deal last year though btw, probably wouldn't buy it at full price. 

vrms cant handle much more than an ryzen 5, lol.  

AMD blackout rig

vrms cant handle much more than an ryzen 5, lol.  

Nope the highest they can handle is a Ryzen 7, but they can handle a Ryzen 7. If buying a Ryzen 9 ....why on earth buy a B450 board at all?

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Nope the highest they can handle is a Ryzen 7, but they can handle a Ryzen 7. If buying a Ryzen 9 ....why on earth buy a B450 board at all?

i wouldnt say handle, more like struggle not to throttle it. 

AMD blackout rig

42 minutes ago, kewtz said:

There is no ROG Strix board that is m-ATX, and most of their stuff is overpriced to hell except the B550-F

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

8 hours ago, BigRom said:

There is no ROG Strix board that is m-ATX, and most of their stuff is overpriced to hell except the B550-F

Correct, but ITX fits in mATX so /shrug.

I don't see a ton of great options for mATX boards at the enthusiast level.

Potato Revamp

10 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

but anyways

M-ATX: b550m pro (gigabyte), good looks, good vrm, good price

The MSI B550M Mortar is a far better board in terms of VRM. The mATX Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite/Pro are not that great. They would both run hot with an overclocked 3900X/3950X whereas the Mortar would be fine.

my personal pick

asus tuf b550m / wifi, solid allrounder at "cheap"

asrock steal legend , best rgb layout, have m.2 key E for wifi , atx has error code, while matx misses it.

skip msi , vrm temp isnt everything, its software utilities really sucks

2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The MSI B550M Mortar is a far better board in terms of VRM. The mATX Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite/Pro are not that great. They would both run hot with an overclocked 3900X/3950X whereas the Mortar would be fine.

Their B450 boards were ok, but their B550 ones are honestly kinda shit save for the VRMs.

I was planning to get the B550 Tomahawk because it was good value, then saw my friend's board crap out on him just 2 weeks after he got it. I nope-ed my way out of MSI immediately.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

1 hour ago, BigRom said:

Their B450 boards were ok, but their B550 ones are honestly kinda shit save for the VRMs.

I was planning to get the B550 Tomahawk because it was good value, then saw my friend's board crap out on him just 2 weeks after he got it. I nope-ed my way out of MSI immediately.

That can happen with any product. It doesn't mean you should avoid it just because one person had a bad experience.

1 hour ago, BigRom said:

the b550 tomahawk is a great board, the vrms compete with some of the top x570 boards.

AMD blackout rig

13 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

b550 tomahawk is a great board

It is, however it lacks USB.

Find me a B550 that's a reasonably priced competitor to the Tomahawk and has USB.

Potato Revamp

5 minutes ago, kewtz said:

It is, however it lacks USB.

Find me a B550 that's a reasonably priced competitor to the Tomahawk and has USB.

the b550-f is only $10 dollars more, has similar if not better vrms and has 8 usb ports

the b550 auros pro is $10 less, with a tad worse vrm's and has 11 usb ports

AMD blackout rig