James from Rockit Cool doesn't want to send my 7980xe back

Vitolo

Hi.

This summer, after cleaning my liquid cooling, my 7980xe increased its temperatures so decided to rma it to Intel. Intel opened the unit and saw it was delidded, so it refused the RMA. I bought a 10980xe and thought I could delid it, talked to James, owner at RockitCool and told me not to use his tool with the 10980xe, and at the same time he offered himself to delid safely the 10980xe. My unit was quite good even undelidded, so instead I asked him if I could send my 7980xe to rma it in USA, instead of Europe, trying my luck. I sent the unit to him in september and rma'd the cpu. The result was not good, they realized it was the same unit rma'd in Europe, so again RMA refused and they also warned us that if we rma'd the unit again, it would be seized.

Well, all correct until this point, but then James told me he would try to repair the unit, he checked it and saw some capacitors were not working on it, so he would order the parts in order to do the job. This was the last thing I knew from him. He asked me patience, but he never replied anymore. I wrote from another mail account and he replied in half an hour, so he is not replying me and not sending my unit back, as requested.

So, if u read this, James, I want my unit back, it is mine and u told me u would rma it and/or fix it for free, now u don't reply my messages.

It is very pathetic, really!!!

MSI Godlike, 5950x, RTX 3090, GSkill 3600C14

who is james and how is the LTT forum associated with rockit cool?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Who is James and does he have a giant peach?

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Do you have anything that is like an ombudsman that we have in the UK? he can be shut down for shady business, if he were in the UK, i am not sure about US.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

@Wheresmehammer

We have a "defensor del pueblo" in Spain, but could not help me in this matter. Maybe I could start a crime action as it could be considered here a scam, but he is in the USA so not easy...

I could also tell it to Chuck Norris the Texas Ranger, maybe he could help...

@Teddy07

Intel didn't use to open cpus, but now they are opening some after the chinese massive fraud. Mine is legit, so gave it a couple of tries, Europe and USA.

The website is getting a bad trust score (25%) on ScamDoc... 

https://www.scamdoc.com/view/421639

You've probably been scammed.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I feel like some context is missing.

Why would they just offer all this service for free?

Did you buy something from them beforehand?

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

I feel like some context is missing.

Why would they just offer all this service for free?

Did you buy something from them beforehand?

Yep, I bought several of his products before and spoke to him several times via mail.

Since he is a well known seller, I trusted him, my mistake, I know...

@WereCatf

The unit is still legit, but has been manipulated and if Intel realizes it, they can refuse RMA, just like they did...

18 minutes ago, vmanuelgm said:

Intel didn't use to open cpus, but now they are opening some after the chinese massive fraud

Hold up. Hold on. Calm your horses. Slow your tits. 

I feel like you're on the verge of saying something really stupid. Legally, you didn't do any transaction (as @Caroline said) with the man. So you're pretty much screwed. He didn't legally steal it, you willfully gave it to him. Besides yourself and silicon lottery, you shouldn't be entrusting your cpu with anyone. So I guess you were scammed by this James cat. Fella seems untrustworthy

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

14 minutes ago, Caroline said:

oof

sorry, I know it sounds harsh but your CPU is most likely gone forever, in legal terms you haven't done any transaction with the other guy but simply shipped him a CPU like you would do with your cousin or a friend, meaning he's not obliged to return it to you.

Now... do you really think someone's gonna work on a thousand dollar CPU "for free"? come on, seriously. BTW that email he sent you is 100% bullshit, you don't need any tools to delid a 7980XE, the IHS isn't soldered, you can pretty much delid one of those with a razor blade and a flathead screwdriver to make the IHS pop out

sorry mate

I know the 7980xe is easily deliddable, in the mail I showed he was talking about the 10980xe which is soldered, he was offering himself to delid it. But I decided not to send it, and asked him to rma the 7980xe in USA, sent the processor, the rma was done and refused and then he checked the cpu to try to fix it, ordering some capacitors. Since then, no more replies...

In the end I was lucky I didn't send him my 10980xe...

@piratemonkey

Yep, I was stupid, but as I said, he is well known in this hardware community so trusted him, my fault!!!

He's using a free Shopify store that ScamAdvisor claims is in Ontario, but his shipping address is in Texas, this whole situation looks shady as fuck, I've never even heard of this guy before...in what world do you think this is legit? Come on.

And on top of this, do you seriously think Intel would RMA a fucking delidded CPU? Unbelievable.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Why do people think the cpu is gone? 

Sue him if you got proof that the received the cpu but never returned 

Sue him in USA, a bit pricey even being a 2000 dollars cpu...

Or maybe I can go and visit him personally...

Small claims court is easily navigatable. Sounds like there was no transaction involved and you gifted the item to a random stranger. Good luck in your future!

Just how long ago did this James fella say he was getting the parts for the repair job?

You said you sent him it in September, it's now only November (10 weeks max). In that time it's gone from EU to US, sent to Intel for a dodgy RMA, checked and refused by Intel, sent back, part reviewed and spares ordered. 

In the Middle of a pandemic. For a job you aren't paying for. Just how quick did you expect this?

With the best will in the world, some patience probably wouldn't kill you.

(Also, it sounds as scammy af and you knowingly tried RMAing a part against not unreasonable terms of service, so tbh have little sympathy)

4 hours ago, vmanuelgm said:

This summer, after cleaning my liquid cooling, my 7980xe increased its temperatures so decided to rma it to Intel

Hmm. So your delidded CPU worked fine up until you cleaned your custom loop, and then the CPU ran hotter than it did before?

How much hotter did the CPU run? Like 5°C hotter under load than it did before or was it thermal throttling 100°C at idle?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, vmanuelgm said:

People are mad or what, u support scammers nowadays???

Again, hold your horses. He never said that, nor did he even imply that. You admitted earlier that it was stupid of you to do this. If you post something, you open yourself up to criticism, questions and other comments. 

And I do agree with @LordVetinari he could still plan to do whatever service he offered. He could also just have really weird customer service practices

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Hmm. So your delidded CPU worked fine up until you cleaned your custom loop, and then the CPU ran hotter than it did before?

How much hotter did the CPU run? Like 5°C hotter under load than it did before or was it thermal throttling 100°C at idle?

I had it delidded with direct die and the temps did increase a lot for what I was used to. 

U can rma a cpu because of temperatures, not unusual.

44 minutes ago, vmanuelgm said:

U can rma a cpu because of temperatures, not unusual.

Not when it's been delidded, lmfao

EDIT: "Guys, I engine swapped my brand new car and now it won't work, can you fix it? Still under warranty!"

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

EDIT: "Guys, I engine swapped my brand new car and now it won't work, can you fix it? Still under warranty!"

Yeah some people just do not comprehend that lmfao

Back in the day, dinosaur era, we rented a Hertz car and did the midnight engine swap ;)