Stripped screw, don't know how to remove... :-(

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

A few things that have worked for me in the past--use extreme caution with any of these because they will mess stuff up if done wrong:

1. Get a screw extractor kit off of Amazon and use that. You can get laptop/jewelry-sized extractor kits for $10-15 in the US.

2. If you have a small enough screwdriver that you don't care about, put a tiny amount of super glue or crazy glue on the tip, then press it down into the screw hole for about 2-3 minutes. Once it's standing on its own and not falling over, walk away and leave it for 24 hours to cure. About half the time, when you come back it'll unscrew. This isn't the most successful method for me.

3. Try a different type of screwdriver head. It doesn't look like you have enough there for this to work, but a Torx head (of all the damn things) or a pentalobe head (of even all the more damn things) has worked for me in the past.

I don't like drilling out laptop screws. For one, if the drill bit is even the slightest bit too big, you crack the chassis. Two, even if you are successful in removing the head, you now have a screw shaft stuck in there and probably never coming out. The extractor kit is the most expensive option, but it's the best imo.

Hey there guys. Please help I have two stripped screw, in my laptop chassis, and I have another inside (that I cannot access). Any ideas? I tried to use a latex glove to get more grip, but it didn't work. I don't think a rubber strip would work anyhow, because the inner part is pretty much a perfect circle.

IMG_6350.jpg

drill (*carefully), an easy out may help if you can find a small enough one...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

One trick I've used in the past was to add just a small drop of super-glue on the screw, then put a stick with a flat head against it and let it dry for a couple of hours  -- all it then took to remove the screw was to spin the stick. Though, only a SMALL drop of glue, so it doesn't spill over and go into the threads, because that'd just make things worse.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

A few things that have worked for me in the past--use extreme caution with any of these because they will mess stuff up if done wrong:

1. Get a screw extractor kit off of Amazon and use that. You can get laptop/jewelry-sized extractor kits for $10-15 in the US.

2. If you have a small enough screwdriver that you don't care about, put a tiny amount of super glue or crazy glue on the tip, then press it down into the screw hole for about 2-3 minutes. Once it's standing on its own and not falling over, walk away and leave it for 24 hours to cure. About half the time, when you come back it'll unscrew. This isn't the most successful method for me.

3. Try a different type of screwdriver head. It doesn't look like you have enough there for this to work, but a Torx head (of all the damn things) or a pentalobe head (of even all the more damn things) has worked for me in the past.

I don't like drilling out laptop screws. For one, if the drill bit is even the slightest bit too big, you crack the chassis. Two, even if you are successful in removing the head, you now have a screw shaft stuck in there and probably never coming out. The extractor kit is the most expensive option, but it's the best imo.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

20 hours ago, aisle9 said:

what size would I need for the extractor head? B083BQ5PVBhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIA-Extractor-Stripped-Extension-Removing/dp/B083BQ5PVB/ would the smallest #10 heads be suitable? thank you so much! 🙂

2 hours ago, DaemonFighter said:

what size would I need for the extractor head? B083BQ5PVBhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIA-Extractor-Stripped-Extension-Removing/dp/B083BQ5PVB/ would the smallest #10 heads be suitable? thank you so much! 🙂

I don't remember exactly what size I used, but that set has the same sizes as mine does, so you should be set. Just remember that the goal isn't to break the head off. It's to create enough of a divot in the shaft that the extractor head can grip it and bring it out.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I don't remember exactly what size I used, but that set has the same sizes as mine does, so you should be set. Just remember that the goal isn't to break the head off. It's to create enough of a divot in the shaft that the extractor head can grip it and bring it out.

cool thank you so much! 🙂

have a good day.