Is RTX 3070 overkill for 1080P?

I've just bought 1080P 144HZ monitor and RTX 3070, i didnt do too much research about monitor, and some people said RTX 3070 is overkill for 1080P monitor.. what will happen if it's overkill?

If you have a 240+Hz monitor and like fluidity, then maybe not?!

I edit my posts more often than not

Lots of games run at lots of performance levels at different resolutions.

Some games could chug with a 3070 at 1080p, other games could run butter smooth with a 3070 at 4k.

I think for what is out at the moment, you'd probably struggle to find many games a 3070 would struggle with at 1080p however.

3 minutes ago, dafisabirin said:

I've just bought 1080P monitor and RTX 3070, i didnt do too much research about monitor, and some people said RTX 3070 is overkill for 1080P monitor.. what will happen if it's overkill?

I'd imagine it will be overkill, as it is a powerful card that is more likely to be used to attain both a higher resolution AND a high frame rate.

Still, it's not like it won't work - I'd just make a new monitor (maybe a 1440p @144hz?) a priority for future purchases. 

4 minutes ago, dafisabirin said:

I've just bought 1080P monitor and RTX 3070, i didnt do too much research about monitor, and some people said RTX 3070 is overkill for 1080P monitor.. what will happen if it's overkill?

Depends on if it has the refresh rate to fully utilize it. 

If its generating more frames than your monitor can display you can always limit the frame rate in the GPU settings to your monitor rate so it will only use enough power/clocks to generate that frame rate, saving power

i mean it wont hurt anything to have more performance than you need. Makes sure your computer keeps up with the games for a little while at least or makes room for upgrades to 1440p or something :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, terminalinfinity said:

Depends on if it has the refresh rate to fully utilize it. 

If its generating more frames than your monitor can display you can always limit the frame rate in the GPU settings to your monitor rate so it will only use enough power/clocks to generate that frame rate, saving power

RTX 3070+1080P Monitor vs RTX 2060 Super+1080P Monitor, which is better?

15 minutes ago, dafisabirin said:

RTX 3070+1080P Monitor vs RTX 2060 Super+1080P Monitor, which is better?

"Better" is a relative term to whatever your goals are

Personally given a choice between the two, I'd take the 3070 for future proofing and to have the option to jump to 1440p if I wanted, but those would be my goals.

38 minutes ago, terminalinfinity said:

"Better" is a relative term to whatever your goals are

Personally given a choice between the two, I'd take the 3070 for future proofing and to have the option to jump to 1440p if I wanted, but those would be my goals.

Which one is better for FPS games

Return the monitor and get a 1440p/144 display and welcome to 2020

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

In terms of longevity, it is not overkill. You will be fine for many years to come. You won't have to upgrade that card for a while.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

Just bump those setting to ultra and enjoy high fps and beautiful graphics for now ... and in the future just get a 1440 or 4k monitor and use the 1080p as a secondary monitor or just sell it or give it away ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

9 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Return the monitor and get a 1440p/144 display and welcome to 2020

Yea i want to return my Monitor and get 1440p monitor

4 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Just bump those setting to ultra and enjoy high fps and beautiful graphics for now ... and in the future just get a 1440 or 4k monitor and use the 1080p as a secondary monitor or just sell it or give it away ...

Can you guys tell me what does overkill mean in PC world? Does it have negative effect on game performance or hardwares?

1 hour ago, dafisabirin said:

Yea i want to return my Monitor and get 1440p monitor

Not a bad idea.  Unless you went bottom of the barrel and got a $100 1080p monitor, 1440p can be had for just a slight step up in price now.  Its not like 2-3 years ago when they were 2X the price of an equivalent 1080 monitor

1 hour ago, dafisabirin said:

Can you guys tell me what does overkill mean in PC world? Does it have negative effect on game performance or hardwares?

It means your hardware can power more than your display can output.  So in example, a GPU that outputs 240 frames on a monitor that only drives 120hz.  Half of your frames aren't being displayed because the monitor can't keep up.

There's no performance hit, its actually somewhat desirable to slightly overshoot what you plan to play right now for 1) headroom for future games 2) so you can use the frame limiter in your GPU settings to have your GPU match your monitor refresh rate while using less power and therefore, outputting less heat into your case.

11 hours ago, dafisabirin said:

Which one is better for FPS games

Still too vague.  I could say the 3070 outputs more frames so its better but that doesn't take into account 1)price to performance 2) your monitor and target frame rates 3) any future upgrades you have planned.

1 hour ago, terminalinfinity said:

Not a bad idea.  Unless you went bottom of the barrel and got a $100 1080p monitor, 1440p can be had for just a slight step up in price now.  Its not like 2-3 years ago when they were 2X the price of an equivalent 1080 monitor

It means your hardware can power more than your display can output.  So in example, a GPU that outputs 240 frames on a monitor that only drives 120hz.  Half of your frames aren't being displayed because the monitor can't keep up.

There's no performance hit, its actually somewhat desirable to slightly overshoot what you plan to play right now for 1) headroom for future games 2) so you can use the frame limiter in your GPU settings to have your GPU match your monitor refresh rate while using less power and therefore, outputting less heat into your case.

Still too vague.  I could say the 3070 outputs more frames so its better but that doesn't take into account 1)price to performance 2) your monitor and target frame rates 3) any future upgrades you have planned.

Hmm should i just get 27" 1440p@144Hz Monitor or 24" 1080p@165hz monitor or 27" 1080p@144Hz? Which one is better for FPS games

3 minutes ago, dafisabirin said:

Hmm should i just get 24" 1440p@144Hz Monitor or 24" 1080p@165hz monitor or 27" 1080p@144Hz? Which one is better for FPS games

Given those choices I'd go w/ 24 1440p.  You're gonna be hard pressed to notice 21 frames above 144.

HOWEVER, this is assuming all the panels have about the same image quality.  Remember that resolution is good, but just one aspect.  I had one of the first "economy" 4K TVs years ago and it was much worse than my 1080p TV.  Sure the image was smoother.  But the colors were so washed out it was simply not worth it and horrible.

Make sure to find reviews on the panels checking color replication, brightness, blacks, etc.

35 minutes ago, terminalinfinity said:

Given those choices I'd go w/ 24 1440p.  You're gonna be hard pressed to notice 21 frames above 144.

HOWEVER, this is assuming all the panels have about the same image quality.  Remember that resolution is good, but just one aspect.  I had one of the first "economy" 4K TVs years ago and it was much worse than my 1080p TV.  Sure the image was smoother.  But the colors were so washed out it was simply not worth it and horrible.

Make sure to find reviews on the panels checking color replication, brightness, blacks, etc.

i mean 27" 1440p@144HZ not 24"

Just now, dafisabirin said:

i mean 27" 1440p@144HZ not 24"

Nothing changes about my analysis.  Still would go with the 1440p with everything else being equal.  Just make sure to check reviews to make sure the image quality, contrast, etc. is good. 

5 minutes ago, terminalinfinity said:

Nothing changes about my analysis.  Still would go with the 1440p with everything else being equal.  Just make sure to check reviews to make sure the image quality, contrast, etc. is good. 

why would u go with 27" 1440p@144hz?

2 minutes ago, dafisabirin said:

what is the reason why would u go with 27" 1440p@144hz?

43 minutes ago, terminalinfinity said:

You're gonna be hard pressed to notice 21 frames above 144.

8 minutes ago, terminalinfinity said:

okay, i think i will just get 27" 1440p@144hz monitor, thank you for answering my questions

15 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

If you have a 240+Hz monitor and like fluidity, then maybe not?!

since 1080p high refresh rate is even more reliant on the cpu, this is completely wrong.

OP: return the monitor, get a 1440p 144hz monitor

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

since 1080p high refresh rate is even more reliant on the cpu, this is completely wrong.

OP: return the monitor, get a 1440p 144hz monitor

Erm, then noone uses 240+ because the CPU would be a bottleneck? Somehow I doubt that.

But yes, RTX 3070 is a bit overkill at 1080p

I edit my posts more often than not

If you got the CPU horsepower, then it's not overkill!

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.