Wireless router slows down and denies access

Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,

@TechnicGeek

Those features don't seem to be activated anyway.

A router that seems to get "fixed" temporarily after power-cycling likely has a small amount of RAM that is being consumed very quickly, which causes all functions to slow down over time. You can try disabling as many unnecessary logging functions as possible, but I'm inclined to believe this won't yield much improvement.

If it were just the wireless portion having the issue, I'd suspect wireless interference from neighbourhood signals. While you've yet to show us the wireless survey results that were asked for previously, I suspect that those results would be inconsequential.

In essence, you'll benefit from a new router, preferably something from the WiFi 5 generation or better.

Hello. Have been using an old wireless router for several years now. Awhile ago noticed that sometimes it would limit my download speed by a lot but would refuse access to its interface if I tried to access it.

Only restarting router fixes those issues. It has to be done so manually because it does not have option to schedule self-restart. But it's only a temporary solution until router starts behaving like I described above. Usually takes a week or so for that to start happening 

Does anyone have any idea?

You gave the answer in your question. It's old. Routers do a whole lot of stuff and over time, like anything, they fail. The brains are tired and are telling you to stop using them.

6 hours ago, TechnicGeek said:

Have been using an old wireless router for several years now.

What make/model?

Awhile ago noticed that sometimes it would limit my download speed by a lot but would refuse access to its interface if I tried to access it.

Is this on wireless only? Have you tried while directly wired in to the router?

Only restarting router fixes those issues. It has to be done so manually because it does not have option to schedule self-restart. But it's only a temporary solution until router starts behaving like I described above. Usually takes a week or so for that to start happening

How many devices are simultaneous connected to it at any time?

Sounds like you need to upgrade your router.

@Falcon1986 Edimax BR-6428nS V2 is the router. Same thing happens when I connect LAN cable only. 2 devices are simultaneously connected to it wirelessly.

7 hours ago, TechnicGeek said:

@Falcon1986 Edimax BR-6428nS V2 is the router. Same thing happens when I connect LAN cable only. 2 devices are simultaneously connected to it wirelessly.

Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer (from Microsoft Store) on the PC that you're seeing the slowdowns. Post screenshots of the 'Analyze' page for 2.4GHz and highlight your SSID. If your PC has a 5GHz antennae, you can also scan the 5GHz frequency to see how busy it is as well.

I suspect your 2.4GHz airspace is crowded and that's your problem.

Edit: As I re-read your last response, I noticed that you have the same problem even while wired into the router. Is there any QoS, network intrusion/detection, or similar feature running on the router?

• 3 weeks later...

@TechnicGeek

Those features don't seem to be activated anyway.

A router that seems to get "fixed" temporarily after power-cycling likely has a small amount of RAM that is being consumed very quickly, which causes all functions to slow down over time. You can try disabling as many unnecessary logging functions as possible, but I'm inclined to believe this won't yield much improvement.

If it were just the wireless portion having the issue, I'd suspect wireless interference from neighbourhood signals. While you've yet to show us the wireless survey results that were asked for previously, I suspect that those results would be inconsequential.

In essence, you'll benefit from a new router, preferably something from the WiFi 5 generation or better.