Android TV x86 released. Repurpose your old pc

GhostRoadieBL
On 11/15/2020 at 10:07 AM, jagdtigger said:

AFAIK it doesnt emulate anything, android is linux based which means with some work it can be ported to anything and run natively.

Android is UNIX based....... 

(and can be *fully* controlled without using a keyboard or mouse ever, something Linux yet has to achieve...) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just use Kodi?

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well, shit I just looked this up yesterday... 

1196467864_Screenshot_20201118-174343_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.f1d77e890636c01b85f96850b9e9c291.jpg

Guess I should have clicked the link because there it says "linux". 😅

Anyway my point was more you can control android without ever using a keyboard or weird sudo commands... 

Not sure how drivers are handled tho tbh, are they just pre-installed or could you change them somehow? 

On the other hand if it just works you don't need to install drivers ever? 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Anyway my point was more you can control android without ever using a keyboard or weird sudo commands... 

Not sure how drivers are handled tho tbh, are they just pre-installed or could you change them somehow? 

Drivers have to be compiled into the image at build time. Once the image is built that's it. Android is designed to be built io a per device basis. It's what makes Android x86 projects die out so quickly. The more drivers and blobs you add, the more unstable it becomes. If you were to install this and look at the logs, you would see it flooding with error messages for hardware that doesn't exist on your system. Not to mention that there is no official x86 support outside of a few Intel Atom CPUS, if they are even still supported. Same goes for graphics. Most ports or translation layers for these drivers perform poorly and are generally very incompatible with the system in general. While Android itself uses a Linux based kernel, it's not directly compatible with anything built for Linux.

3 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Drivers have to be compiled into the image at build time. Once the image is built that's it.

Nope, linux is highly modular. Including how it handles drivers, usually as kernel modules. As the name suggest these modules can be added and removed at will without the need for a full recompile. The only thing that is re-generated is the image but nothing gets compiled (minus the driver if you only have sources but thats a different story).

I have android tv on my tv and its fine, although you would think it would have good app support it dosen’t and you can get pretty much all the apps that are on it on any other device. Plus all the apps appear to be designed for an idiot and missing so many different features it is easier to just not use it

Please excuse my spelling

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well, shit I just looked this up yesterday... 

-snip-

Guess I should have clicked the link because there it says "linux". 😅

I'm thinking things say that just because it's inclusive. 

If you have a Linux based OS, it is effectively a UNIX based OS, because Linux was derived from UNIX.

That said, we know iOS is very different from android even though both are UNIX-derived. If you really get into the nitty gritty and open a terminal app/window on them (which requires a jailbreak on iOS to do lol) you start to pick up on some of the similarities. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Why should I bother with this?

It's cool but what problem does this actually solve?

If I want an application to watch TV on, I have Kodi, so I don't see the purpose of having Android TV on x86, plus comparatively x86 systems are a lot more power hungry than ARM, which is actually a legitimate concern for places like Portugal that have very expensive electrical bills due to most of the electricity being bought abroad or being produced with renewable alternatives (80% if I'm not wrong).

In places like Switzerland?

Yeah sure, electricity is cheap as fuck here because we're the country in the world that per capita has the most Nuclear Powerplants.