Would I encounter any game incompatibility with a Radeon card?

Waifu4Life

I'm holding off in buying an RTX 3070 (NewEgg.ca actually had 2 ASUS models this morning) until we get actual reviews of the RX 6800. Things is, I haven't used a Radeon card since the ATI days, so would I encounter any game incompatibility if I were to switch from green to red?

3 minutes ago, the_importer said:

I'm holding off in buying an RTX 3070 (NewEgg.ca actually had 2 ASUS models this morning) until we get actual reviews of the RX 6800. Things is, I haven't used a Radeon card since the ATI days, so would I encounter any game incompatibility if I were to switch from green to red?

Only time will tell... people still have 5700XT compatibility issues,..Fixes exist but still.... with games outright crashing on random systems still. (See various forums inc LTT)
I'd be waiting PAST the launch to suss peoples experiences first..

Awaiting AMD to launch a GPU without issues (past the initial month) and they failed on that for the last few generations.
(Nvidia ofc has issues too, but less telling or less documented or just outright less issues)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Only time will tell... people still have 5700XT compatibility issues,..Fixes exist but still.... with games outright crashing on random systems still. (See various forums inc LTT)
I'd be waiting PAST the launch to suss peoples experiences first..

Ouch, guess when games give out a huge-ass NVIDIA logo at the beginning, that there's a reason for this.

Just now, the_importer said:

Ouch, guess when games give out a huge-ass NVIDIA logo at the beginning, that there's a reason for this.

its rdna that got shit for being well, bad.

gcn never really ran into any issues

3 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

only time will tell... people still have 5700XT compatibility issues

this has been fixed, 

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

with games outright crashing on random systems still

the driver issues have also been fixed, and have been for months

5 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Awaiting AMD to launch a GPU without issues (past the initial month) and they failed on that for the last few generations.
(Nvidia ofc has issues too, but less telling or less documented or just outright less issues)

*cough cough* early 20 series vram *cough cough*

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, the_importer said:

Well... that's also a likelyhood that Nvidia has helped the devs, or paid them to throw that in...
Could be a few reasons why that's a thing...
I can say that when the 20series RTX was released they had many reports and submissions for VRAM artifacts.
AMD IMO has it worse (Games outright not starting up on a new 5700XT or crashing instantly) I'd steer clear for months or wouldn't even bother right now until they prove themselves capable of QUICKER fixes than the 5700XT issues were dealt with.

Not a fan of either company FYI,.. I just put my money where its likely to work best GPU wise with what info is available at the time I'm looking deep into it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 minutes ago, the_importer said:

thats just nvidia sponsoring them, or paying for their logo to be put on them

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

its rdna that got shit for being well, bad.

gcn never really ran into any issues

GCN (HD7000) were shit at launch too, my HD7950 GAINED 35% in BF3 in a single driver. (left on the table at launch)
I gained many gains in games, which is great, but it was months and months past when I bought it.

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

GCN (HD7000) were shit at launch too, my HD7950 GAINED 35% in BF3 in a single driver. (left on the table at launch)

talking about gcn 1.3

Edited by GoodEnough
cant spell apparently

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

the driver issues have also been fixed, and have been for months

lmao yeah, nvidia users that are still trying to use that as an excuse is getting pretty old

6 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

talking about gcn 1.3

Fair call,.. (GCN over time, maybe not 1.3)
However my original R9 290 also had mad artifacting on multiple systems, returned and RMA's, this differing second R9 290 also had similar issues (tested on friends systems as well as my own) and over time, I went thru 6x R9 290's in the first year (RMA's) and I had 7-8 machines to test them on... They were literally broken (still classed as less than 1% of all cards, but to me it was a higher percentage personally cos I was having to deal with all the BS of 9 months and I couldn't even use them)
As soon as it got loaded up, VRAM clocks seemed to rise before Voltage rose,..leading to artifacting on desktops, post-game random reboots and having to wait 40mins for the VRAM chips to cool before I could game... (Even with 100% fan speed #Hairdryer) it happened on all the spare systems I had access to.

It's not that I don't like AMD GPU's in general (AMD GPU brute force is nice), they just have given me grief the most.

3 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

lmao yeah, nvidia users that are still trying to use that as an excuse is getting pretty old

Tell that to the people posting NEAR DAILY on multiple forums (outside and inside LTT) about 5700XT issues still happening.

If you look, its all there,.. most people are not looking.

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Tell that to the people posting NEAR DAILY on multiple forums (outside and inside LTT) about 5700XT issues still happening.

i literally did just look last post was semptember 30th, Nvidia and amd issue posts are about the same.

I'm comfortable with saying 97% of driver issues have been fixed by amd

AMD blackout rig

8 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

i literally did just look last post was semptember 30th, Nvidia and amd issue posts are about the same.

One forum dude, hardly telling....multiple tech forums online are RIFE with it, its quite clear its still a thing.
Outside of Forums,.. just googling "5700 XT problem issue black screen" with a 24HOUR filter,..  (Updated/New PC's, New Drivers, Still Issues)

i mean, to be fair, people usually only go to the forums if they have a question or a problem..

Just now, GoodEnough said:

i mean, to be fair, people usually only go to the forums if they have a question or a problem..

To be fair....that doesn't stop the fact its a thing people are troubleshooting everyday,..what you said has always been the case with Hardware.

33 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

To be fair....that doesn't stop the fact its a thing people are troubleshooting everyday,..what you said has always been the case with Hardware.

Some people even don't bother with updating drivers prior to going on forums. Also, google "rtx 3080 crashing" with a 24HOUR filter, Plenty of issues too.

what you said has always been the case with Hardware.

then whats the big deal if there are some issues if there are going to be issues because hardware gets issues lol

Fallout 4 had the AMD rainbow graphics glitch. Like most Bethesda bugs it did not get fixed.

Just Cause 3 had issues as well.

I don't know if modern AMD cards have these issues. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV