Low fps in game, GPU at 40% and cpu at 60%

Aiden Wilkins

Today me and my friend where playing Mudrunner and no matter what I did could not get the game to run above 20-25fps

Im running a 1050Ti 4gb with a AMD Phenom II 6-core 2.8ghz cpu and 8gb of ram

My last gpu (gtx 560) was able to reach above 30fps without any issue but my new one cant, even with settings severely lowered

Utilization for the gpu is never about 50%, cpu follows at about 60% and thermals aren't an issue

I have the latest driver for the card and everything else is upto date. Is this possible that its a hardware issue? Can a bad psu cause this?

Try to make sure you're running it fullscreen. If vsync is on, turn it off. Does it only happen in this game?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Ran fullscreen no effect, cannot disable vsync. As of this moment yes, though that doesnt explain how it ran better on my older gpu

8 hours ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

Ran fullscreen no effect, cannot disable vsync. As of this moment yes, though that doesnt explain how it ran better on my older gpu

did you install your graphics drivers? since you had an older gpu that was no longer supported by nvdia maybe you didnt think about updating drivers. 

9 hours ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

I have the latest driver for the card and everything else is upto date.

^

48 minutes ago, rice guru said:

did you install your graphics drivers? since you had an older gpu that was no longer supported by nvdia maybe you didnt think about updating drivers. 

@Aiden Wilkins try DDU your drivers in safe mode (read the instructions) then reinstall nvidia drivers, it may help... 

Otherwise, what's your PSU, model and wattage? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok, i manually downloaded the gpu driver from nvidia site and installed it when i got that card.

I will try that.

My psu is a 900W Rocketfish, it's not new in anyway, like at least 3 years old

Overclock the 1055T. You just have some bottlenecking. 

Really? bottlenecking at 60% utilization?

And yes overclocking with air cooling, 10/10 idea

Using DDU and reinstalling drivers didnt effect it either. Also adding to the game list, factorio has the same issue, low gpu usage with low fps

3 minutes ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

Overall utilization may be 60 percent, but if you look at per core/thread I bet one of them is maxed or close to maxed, which will bottleneck the GPU.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

What counts as close to maxed?

Max per core was 76%

Max total was 70%

(This is as of me testing again now)

15 minutes ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

What counts as close to maxed?

Max per core was 76%

Max total was 70%

(This is as of me testing again now)

That's getting there, but it's not high enough that I would expect it to have the GPU usage so low.

Factorio makes sense because it will essentially run on a potato at 60 FPS unless you have a megabase with over 1k science/min.

What about a stress test like Unigen Heaven or Valley? Have you tried those to see if behavior is any different? Any other games you can try?

Try making sure both Windows and Nvidia control panel power management modes are set to max performance, just to rule things out.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

System power options are set to performance

Running Valley Bench Mark:

Avg: 30

Min: 8

Max: 61

Everything maxed

With factorio 40% gpu usage at 25-30fps, cpu only reaching 75% total, 80% max per core

Rainbow six, Destiny 2, and Minion Masters I have also tried but they are cpu bottlenecked (90 -100% usage cpu with 60 - 80% gpu usage)

2 hours ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

And yes overclocking with air cooling, 10/10 idea

How many cores it uses does not reflect IPC and frequency.

I suppose you'd be the first to overclock on air then. Nvm my suggestion.

windows task manager, doesn't show the CPU usage the right way, secondly if your CPU is 60% used it could mean 3 Cores are fully used while the rest aren't. 
OR 

all your Cores are used a little. 

fps in games doesn't scale with more cores. they need to be programmed for it. 

might be far fetched but look into your nvidia Geforce Experience if the resolution in this game is upscaled. If it is not helping go into your game Graphic Option and turn Shadows from high to low or middle

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

I'm not using task manager, i'm using Open Hardware Monitor (I can see each core, max, min, current). All cores range between 40% - 60% utilization

I don't have Geforce experience, just the nvidia control panel.

I've tried turning the graphics settings to as low as the game will allow me (annoyingly you cant change individual settings, just a slider with low medium high)

to make it sort if hardware problem or not, try another game that has more demand on your hardware than mudrunner (but not like the new AAA-Game). if this more hardware demanding game runs way better then Mudrunner we know the game itselfs has problems, poor optimization etc. - no problem with your hardware

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

Ok, Ive tested Destiny 2 and it runs at 60 fps on High settings (Dips in someareas due to cpu bottlenecking). If the game itself has issues wouldnt my friend (i7, 1060 6gb) experience a similar issue?

I just looked up the game, your PC should run it smoothly. No it could be just with your system because you use AMD or because your PC case is blue instead of Black. I can't say why it shouldn't run smoothly there is no reason your PC is powerful enough

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I suppose you'd be the first to overclock on air then

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not... 🤣

So would op be able to OC a bit with an air cooler? It might just help and worth a try, unless it's kinda guaranteed the cpu would get fried without some liquid / ln2 shenanigans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not... 🤣

So would op be able to OC a bit with an air cooler? It might just help and worth a try, unless it's kinda guaranteed the cpu would get fried without some liquid / ln2 shenanigans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Total sarcasm XD

I'd think an all core at 3.3ghz (single core boost clocks) would be easy to achieve. 

1055T calls for 1.25v-1.475v at turbo frequency, probably do 3.3ghz all core multi closer to 1.3v I'd recon.

Could OC the HT and NB a little bit. 2.2ghz without increased voltage as well. 

(this all off my head. I haven't OC'ed the platform for a bit, but did with several processors.)

3 hours ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

May I will try this then and see if I gain anything from it

If you get in a jam, some dude made a tutorial back in 2008 on Phenom and Phenom II overclocking. There may be some useful information there. I almost forgotten.

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=297148

Ok thx. As for adding games to this list, minecraft hardly breaks 30fps with only 25% gpu utilizationa and 60% cpu