Eve Spectrum banned from r/monitors for brigading and vote manipulation

Summary

The reddit mods over at r/monitors noticed incredibly odd upvoting behaviour regarding any post discussing eve monitors. Upon investigating 6 months worth of posts a pattern emerged and the mods have concluded that Eve were actively brigading posts and were involved in vote manipulation(both against reddit's site wide rules).

Quotes

Originally, the discussion of Eve products had been banned due to the numerous reports of issues regarding refunds in past crowdfunding efforts. I fought back against that, because I believed that discussion of their upcoming products was still relevant to /r/Monitors - and I tried to take Eve at their word for the problems that had occurred.

However, nearly every positive thread about their products has been curiously upvoted well beyond what would be considered "normal" in this subreddit. After a careful investigation over the past 6 months, which examined a wide variety of evidence, the moderation team of /r/Monitors has come to the conclusion that Eve is actively involved with both brigading and vote manipulation.

As a result, we are banning them to prevent further manipulation.

My thoughts

Eve products did seem to good to be true but I was personally hoping they would bring consistently good monitors to bring down prices from the mainstream manufacturers. I guess in the monitor space, you get what you pay for, until amd enters the game to shake things up.

Sources

17 minutes ago, BritTechTips said:

Eve products did seem to good to be true but I was personally hoping they would bring consistently good monitors to bring down prices from the mainstream manufacturers. I guess in the monitor space, you get what you pay for, until amd enters the game to shake things up.

amd wont start making monitors

care to link the Eve site? and just because they got banned on a reddit forum doesnt mean their products are to good to be true

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I thought the "votes" in this case referred to the recent election. Almost reported the post!

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

2 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

care to link the Eve site? and just because they got banned on a reddit forum doesnt mean their products are to good to be true

Thats sounds like something someone from Eve would say to get a last minute promotion off negative press.

Just google it if you give a shit. 

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Just google it if you give a shit. 

yeah i really dont lol, ive never heard of their products either

AMD blackout rig

I mean, people have been calling it a scam for awhile already so...

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Remember how something like 66% of Eve Vs bought didn't get made or even delivered, and their excuse was PayPal? And they just kept on happily taking money from people for something that they had no intention of delivering?

Eve is shady all around.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Remember how something like 66% of Eve Vs bought didn't get made or even delivered, and their excuse was PayPal? And they just kept on happily taking money from people for something that they had no intention of delivering?

Eve is shady all around.

nah this is the first time im hearing of this lol

AMD blackout rig

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Remember how something like 66% of Eve Vs bought didn't get made or even delivered

Sounds like those crowd funding websites where they do the exact same thing. Take your money with no product to ship to you at that time, but give you bonuses to help develop their product. All to common and not worth the gamble.

So was Eve V on crowd fund websites, or normal website with product to ship?

Either way, like others have said, who cares.

2 hours ago, Nowak said:

Sounds like it was just an issue with their licensing partner that has since been resolved? This could also just be an attempt to save face and move to a new website and try to scam more people again. Idk what do you guys think? Stay away? I was REALLY hoping to get some of those monitors... they're so sxy. 

1 hour ago, Orange1 said:

Sounds like those crowd funding websites where they do the exact same thing. Take your money with no product to ship to you at that time, but give you bonuses to help develop their product. All to common and not worth the gamble.

So was Eve V on crowd fund websites, or normal website with product to ship?

Either way, like others have said, who cares.

Eve V was crowdfunded. They made a big deal about how it was "designed by the community", something they did again with the Spectrum.

2 minutes ago, D-MO said:

Sounds like it was just an issue with their licensing partner that has since been resolved? This could also just be an attempt to save face and move to a new website and try to scam more people again. Idk what do you guys think? Stay away? I was REALLY hoping to get some of those monitors... they're so sxy. 

Considering Eve's history, I would stay away. Spend your money on a monitor that'll actually ship.

2 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Considering Eve's history, I would stay away. Spend your money on a monitor that'll actually ship.

Any recommendations then? I was really looking at getting 2 of the 4k 144hz monitors from eve or perhaps a 4k 144hz and a 1440p 240hz. 

Eve seems to have a sketchy history with delivering products. Shame, they seemed kind of cool

7 hours ago, BritTechTips said:

until amd enters the game to shake things up.

Samsung, ROG (ok fine, ASUS), LG, Aorus, all those companies already got monitors under their belts. another company entering the ring probably won't do anything. and AMD is a semiconductor company. not panels

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 minute ago, D-MO said:

Any recommendations then? I was really looking at getting 2 of the 4k 144hz monitors from eve or perhaps a 4k 144hz and a 1440p 240hz. 

If you don't mind looking at graphs, Hardware Unboxed has a lot of monitor reviews. You could also ask in the Displays subforum.

1 hour ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Eve seems to have a sketchy history with delivering products. Shame, they seemed kind of cool

Crowd funded seems to go that way. Marketing does wonders.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Eve V was crowdfunded. They made a big deal about how it was "designed by the community", something they did again with the Spectrum.

Yeah again, marketing 'desinged by the community'

Weird. I'm still looking forward to see the monitor line that's to come. I think Linus mentioned they'd review it. The 1440p 240Hz IPS especially what Im' interested. Especially prices look very good and design is nice. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 11/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, Doobeedoo said:

Weird. I'm still looking forward to see the monitor line that's to come. I think Linus mentioned they'd review it. The 1440p 240Hz IPS especially what Im' interested. Especially prices look very good and design is nice. 

Why would you trust a company that engages in such tactics?

1 hour ago, BritTechTips said:

Why would you trust a company that engages in such tactics?

Well, I knew about their monitors for a while and nothing other than that before. I actually made the original post about their monitor announcement. Later on I learned about their prior product mess and I guess now this. 

I'm just curious about 1440p 240Hz IPS model, especially since the panel is from LG and design is sleek also the price is very good. Reasons why it cought my attention. 

I guess we'll see and hear more about it once Linus gets it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |