Your Computer isn't Yours

Statik

well idk what these companies (microsoft and apple) think 

of course it will backfire quickly

as a person who believes in linux i think this wil make a good reputation for linux as an os that has a lot customization options and most importantly RESPECTS THE USER 

i recently switched to manjaro full time and im happy with it! most of games i play work decently and all other things are perfect

honestly if microsoft and apple continue doing this sort of shit more people will consider switch to linux

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

11 minutes ago, mahyar said:

as a person who believes in linux i think this wil make a good reputation for linux as an os that has a lot customization options and most importantly RESPECTS THE USER 

i recently switched to manjaro full time and im happy with it! most of games i play work decently and all other things are perfect

honestly if microsoft and apple continue doing this sort of shit more people will consider switch to linux

Spreading BS doesn’t make a lastingly good reputation for anything, and the impression I am getting about this from replies is that it was BS.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, mahyar said:

Its been going on for quite some time, dont see a mass exodus over to Linux though some are.

Remember that the majority of consumers are dumb when it comes down to details of the nitty gritty.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Spreading BS doesn’t make a lastingly good reputation for anything, and the impression I am getting about this from replies is that it was BS.

fair

but bs or not this makes apples closer than ever ecosystem a little hard to trust

Just now, mahyar said:

fair

but bs or not this makes apples closer than ever ecosystem a little hard to trust

So Apple will make X 100's o f billions amount of money this year.

Minus all the exodus people they will make X 100's of billions minus a $1,000,000 but gain that back with new customers by $10,000,000. The select few will migrate to Linux.

1 minute ago, Orange1 said:

Its been going on for quite some time, dont see a mass exodus over to Linux though some are.

Remember that the majority of consumers are dumb when it comes down to details of the nitty gritty.

well me too but market share is growing and desktop/laptop users are more than ever

honestly if linux is going to get real competitive it wont be sudden

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

fair

Until it is shown to be BS which has already happened.  When that happens the people spreading the BS becomes harder to trust.  It hurts the proposing party more than the victim in the long term.  Unless memories are short enough.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

well me too but market share is growing and desktop/laptop users are more than ever

honestly if linux is going to get real competitive it wont be sudden

People get confused easily with Linux, to many distro's and in some cases going back to a c prompt is game over so they stick with what they know, windows, apple, google

Just now, Orange1 said:

People get confused easily with Linus, to many distro's and in some cases going back to a c prompt is game over so they stick with what they know, windows, apple, google

i ask you a question have tried any distro of linux?

well it is not as confusing as people make it to be if any wants to get into linux they only need a virtual machine

3 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

in some cases going back to a c prompt

Like an average joe would need to do that. Aside from ssh and editing system files even i dont use the terminal.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Until it is shown to be BS which has already happened.  When that happens the people spreading the BS becomes harder to trust.  It hurts the proposing party more than the victim in the long term.  Unless memories are short enough.

fair again

but the fact that everything is very closed in apple's ecosystem makes me wonder if they will do it in future  

I have tried 4 Linux distro's and they were alright. People dont mind giving up information for ease of use, thats why they dont bother with migrating to Linux. Another reason how many billions use facebook, google search, gmail.

15 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

People dont mind giving up information for ease of use, thats why they dont bother with migrating to Linux.

first not all people

second that not only advantage of linux

Saw 'computer' in the title, started reading saw 'macOS' and was, ah ok nevermind. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, we know that because we learned it on our own, not because Microsoft told us about it openly. Remember how telemetry sneak its way into Windows 7 too? People here really need to stop pissing on Apple coz you're starting too look like idiots on GSMArena who piss on Apple relentlessly in every article.

So... we shouldn't criticize Apple for the same things we relentlessly criticize Microsoft for? Nice double standard there.

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Also while we're at it, how sure you all are Windows Defender or SmartScreen component is not doing the same?

We're not, I don't see people claiming Microsoft is some kind of paragon of privacy though.

23 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

It sends a hash and checks against a database to make sure the program has a trusted certificate still in good standing with Apple. You know, so they can block rogue developers from updating code to deploy malware. THIS IS A GOOD THING. It’s literally designed to protect you and your data, contrary to the agenda being pushed by the massively misinformed here...

Nice denial dude, in what world do these need to be sent unencrypted every time you open the app? It could just periodically get the correct hash table from Apple and check against that, nothing would be lost in terms of security and it wouldn't give away a full log of what programs you open, when, and where.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

29 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So... we shouldn't criticize Apple for the same things we relentlessly criticize Microsoft for? Nice double standard there.

We're not, I don't see people claiming Microsoft is some kind of paragon if privacy though.

Nice denial dude, in what world do these need to be sent unencrypted every time you open the app? It could just periodically get the correct hash table from Apple and check against that, nothing would be lost in terms of security and it wouldn't give away a full log of what programs you open, when, and where.

We do? I don't see endless threads about Microsoft. Like at all. But Apple, oh boy, it'll be 35 threads in an hour the moment anything happens...

Just now, RejZoR said:

We do? I don't see endless threads about Microsoft. Like at all.

That's because the horse had already been beaten to death before you joined this forum. The first couple of years after Windows 10 launched the news section constantly had new topics complaining about Windows telemetry. Other than that, almost every time there's a discussion about Apple someone brings up their supposed superior privacy protection.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

To be entirely fair, the only reason why people say that Apple respects your privacy is because Microsoft and Google are even worse (and by a lot).

Bad is good compared to worse.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 hours ago, Orange1 said:

I have tried 4 Linux distro's and they were alright. People dont mind giving up information for ease of use, thats why they dont bother with migrating to Linux. Another reason how many billions use facebook, google search, gmail.

Too many.  The learning curve requirements have gone way way down on Linux over the years, they’re almost to a point PC was in the 90’s.  There have been some costs.  They’re smaller than I expected though. Complexity is Still higher than PC or Mac.  They’ve improved too.  Also with costs. I haven’t done a Linux distro in a long time.  The last time I tried it was chaos.  

Edited by Bombastinator

4 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

I don't know about Microsoft, but as far as Google is concerned I've always considered that to be a feature. Google's entire business is on your data. Their ads target people based on data they have. This is why I feel safe trusting them with the immense amount of data they have on me: they would never sell or give that data to anyone else. If they did, then why would companies need to work with Google? They wouldn't.

The selling of the data isn't the problem IMO, it's the fact that Google knows most people way better than their family and friends. It's kind of scary how much data they have on pretty much everyone.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

On 11/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, Spindel said:

Is it even worth mentioning that this is a thing you have to either opt-in or opt-out to when installing macOS?

If you chose ”share analytics data” this is what it will do. If you chose ”no” it won’t. 

Actually you can't. I have everything disabled yet still my mac sends that data to apple

11 hours ago, Sauron said:

Relying on a database stored on local hardware is how security worked 20 years ago, not now. It’s excessively easier to compromise a locally stored file than it is to compromise Apple’s data center. 

This is how anti malware works. You and others are raging about it almost entirely because you don’t understand how modern security functions.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

5 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Relying on a database stored on local hardware is how security worked 20 years ago, not now. It’s excessively easier to compromise a locally stored file than it is to compromise Apple’s data center. 

This is how anti malware works. You and others are raging about it almost entirely because you don’t understand how modern security functions.

Ok but the data they send should, at the absolute bare minimum, be encrypted and anonymized.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

It’s excessively easier to compromise a locally stored file than it is to compromise Apple’s data center. 

and 181942385602657963% easier to compromise a unencrypted file in between the two.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ok but the data they send should, at the absolute bare minimum, be encrypted and anonymized.

I think we can safely agree on that. If the report is correct, this seems more like a misstep (Apple hadn't bothered to lock down data like it does elsewhere) than a fiendish strategy like some suggest.