What Did We ACTUALLY Get? - $1500 PC Secret Shopper 2 Part 2

jakkuh_t

Thanks to dbrand for sponsoring Secret Shopper 2! Check out the new limited edition LinusTechTips skin drop at http://lttstores.com/ and http://lttstore.store/

It's finally time again for PC Secret Shopper - where we document the entire experience of ordering a gaming system from your favorite PC system integrators. In this part, we find out exactly what we actually ordered!

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Yay let's go! I love this series.

I wish I had FloatPlane to watch these earlier

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Anyone else noticing something funny with the framerate throughout the video?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

yep thats those poor youtube servers trying to cope

I noticed the BGM is Tank! by Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop's opening) around 18:00 in the video.
How in the hell did this end up as background music for your video? Is it royalty free? Did you license it? I cannot imagine a Japanese media company letting anyone ever have nice things, so how did that happen? @jakkuh_t

Looks like the Dell sales rep f'd you guys over. They upgraded you to a Premium Support Plus 4 years, which is ~$450 upsell. If you spec that system on Dell.com that is a ~$1500 CAD system :( 

Possible to get internal shots on the Chicony Powersupply that Dell used? allways nice to get sneak peaks at what is to come. 

What PSU model did HP use? (i assume its a random Delta units, internal shots would be lovely)

any model number perhaps? would be awsome to get internal shots of mystery PSUs. 

which of the many High Power PSUs did iBuyPower use?

What 80 plus gold did Cyberpower use?

what powersupply did Maingear use?

yes im asking all the PSU questions. because yes

once part 4 hits, all the stars have aligned.

for atleast a year before we demand they do this again in 2021

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

These are definitely the best videos IMO. Can't wait to see what the results are, hopefully it doesn't take too long to release them 😛

27 minutes ago, Larlak said:

Looks like the Dell sales rep f'd you guys over. They upgraded you to a Premium Support Plus 4 years, which is ~$450 upsell. If you spec that system on Dell.com that is a ~$1500 CAD system :( 

No it's not.

The closest system to this on Dell's site currently is $1899.99, which comes with a 1660 Super.

You can't really factor in sales prices, as they likely weren't available when the video was made.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

These are definitely the best videos IMO. Can't wait to see what the results are, hopefully it doesn't take too long to release them 😛

No it's not.

The closest system to this on Dell's site currently is $1899.99, which comes with a 1660 Super.

You can't really factor in sales prices, as they likely weren't available when the video was made.

No, I think Larlak is definitely right. If you spec the same computer on the Dell website for Canada it comes to about $1,679. And the two items I marked below are definitely extras they didn't order.

I haven't been to the forum in ages but I really felt like this needs to be "reported" especially considering what the aim of this video is. It seems like the Dell rep realized she is talking to someone who doesn't know much about PCs and just slipped the over 300 dollar extras in. And those are some predatory practices that should definitely be mentioned.

887666022_Snmekobrazovky2020-11-12212610.thumb.jpg.d472dd3131a4aaa61eef204c98ef08a4.jpg

2 minutes ago, MrLemonus said:

No, I think Larlak is definitely right. If you spec the same computer on the Dell website for Canada it comes to about $1,679. And the two items I marked below are definitely extras they didn't order.

I haven't been to the forum in ages but I really felt like this needs to be "reported" especially considering what the aim of this video is. It seems like the Dell rep realized she is talking to someone who doesn't know much about PCs and just slipped the over 300 dollar extras in. And those are some predatory practices that should definitely be mentioned.

Like I said, you cannot go by current pricing.

There are currently sales on, and thus, the pricing will be lower. You don't know what the price was when they purchased it.

Look at the regular price.

I'd imagine they'd have mentioned it if they got ripped off.

dell.png

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Like I said, you cannot go by current pricing.

There are currently sales on, and thus, the pricing will be lower. You don't know what the price was when they purchased it.

Look at the regular price.

I'd imagine they'd have mentioned it if they got ripped off.

You don't even have to go by the current pricing. Linus and Jake themselves were suprised by the fact this was added on the invoice in the first part but never followed up. Also to counter your argument about pricing, there is clearly a discount added at the bottom of the invoice so I think when they were buying the computer for similiar price.

607770689_Snmekobrazovky2020-11-12215926.jpg.31ad7cba37c7b74fd1f832b067a27464.jpg

2 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

Thanks to dbrand for sponsoring Secret Shopper 2! Check out the new limited edition LinusTechTips skin drop at http://lttstores.com/ and http://lttstore.store/

It's finally time again for PC Secret Shopper - where we document the entire experience of ordering a gaming system from your favorite PC system integrators. In this part, we find out exactly what we actually ordered!

Origin installed the cpu coolant rad wrong...

HP's business computers started doing their proprietary 12V power supply in the early 2011's. The same can be said for Dell, although I do not know when they started doing it. These are not the ATX12VO standard, even though the principles are the same.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.2GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

@jakkuh_tSuggestions for future series:

1. invite all CEOs of participating suppliers, let them watch the whole series (ordering, delivery, tech-support, follow-up) and roast them on the spot.
  2. Use "Granddad buys PC for grandson" excuse and have a male call in. Lovely as the ladies are as eye-candy on the screen, many sales-reps still stereotype customers and women are often ripped-off because of their sex. It's probably worth a full investigative video in its own right though.
  3. Up the stakes by ordering high value gaming rigs and see if a higher budget makes a difference in sales, shipping and/or tech-support.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

The crazy part is Dell added two extra warranties you can't even spec yourself at the same time. I believe this is the exact config and if you try to add the Premium support for 4 years and the extra 3 years for Hardware service with onsite diagnosis it won't let you since those two things seem to cover the same stuff. Sorry for harping on this but it just blows my mind how scammy this is.

during Ibuypower

I swear I am hearing cowboy bebop op tank

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I am laughing so hard at dbrands urls!

I usually don't go to a sponsor site, but when they first had a sponsor spot with these special edition stickers on the WAN-Show, I did go to their website. 

I mean, I'm gonna watch part 3 anyway, but even if not, I'd look forward to it, only in order to see what else they've come up with!

Have a good one, and stay healthy!

Edit: PS: Jake's short pants to a suit jacket made me cringe hard. Only Angus Young can pull that one off.

2 hours ago, dbx10 said:

I noticed the BGM is Tank! by Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop's opening) around 18:00 in the video.
How in the hell did this end up as background music for your video? Is it royalty free? Did you license it? I cannot imagine a Japanese media company letting anyone ever have nice things, so how did that happen? @jakkuh_t

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah, Im watching it 720p, so it should be 60fps, but its only runnign at 24. weird

/s

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Part 2.

1)

And right of the bat, Dell ..oof.. As expected, POS OEM motherboard, High rated PSu which is surprising (doesn't necessarily mean its a good PSu but still) BUT its ofc gotta be 'dell'd' so hey lets use some rando sizing standard. DRAMless SSD LOL. Crap case, and tiny fans. and the RAM bargin basement and not only that but it cant even run at its top rated speed lol.

All in all ...yea ..its a Dell :P

2)

So HP. OEM motherboard again ..figures.. and single channel RAM. Better RAM this time though atleast. Better SSD which is good ..though im not goign to give them poitns for using what should be used. Case is ..ok.. but it really needs taller feet  that thing is goign to  struggle, fans could be well 120mm. Think my main issue with it is the motherboard and single channel RAM, but its easily better than Dell...buts thats not saying much lol. Price is also good.

3)

ibuyPower

Much better components, off the shelf quality. That sticker though ..what a dumb mistake. Also wish these builders would stop using restrictive cases even if they do look fancy, those fans are gunna be so restricted at the front. But otherwise ..good show. and great price as well.

4)

Cyberpower

Biggest weakness here i think is the damage it took, and the poor airflow setup, those side fans should be intake. Price though was good despite having a weaker GPU.

5)

Origin

No surprised here either. Alot of the cost for this PC went into the 'experience' ..and not the performance of the hardware which is where this PC is going to fail.

6)

Maingear

#linusdroptips

Honestly ..nothing specifically bad here, its going to come down to price:performance really, and thats where its going to fail.

I think overall quality,performance, and price i'd say ibuypower is top.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

36 minutes ago, sub68 said:

during Ibuypower

I swear I am hearing cowboy bebop op tank

-snip-

Oh wow it is lol

Edit: Also that dell is the worst, proprietary motherboard, PSU, and case, and they slipped in a $450 warranty thats kinda shady.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Oh wow it is lol

ikr its weird

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Also that dell is the worst, proprietary motherboard, PSU, and case, and they slipped in a $450 warranty thats kinda shady.

older dells can be swapped for sleepers but not this one

(surprise on hp because its normally proprietary)

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang