Will M1 chip macs bring an end to bootcamp?

skylinetofast
15 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

There’s plenty Macs can do that Windows PCs can’t, most notably in the programming space since MacOS is open source UNIX. Unless you want some sort of sweet hell setting up a FreeBSD distro to write your phone apps, there’s no equivalent. Linux is an option but not a very efficient one.

There’s also the matter of exclusive software in the professional space that’s only available on Mac. Final Cut Pro, Xcode, Logic Pro X, etc.

I'm sure there are PC equivalents to those programs.

15 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

There’s plenty Macs can do that Windows PCs can’t, most notably in the programming space since MacOS is open source UNIX. Unless you want some sort of sweet hell setting up a FreeBSD distro to write your phone apps, there’s no equivalent. Linux is an option but not a very efficient one.

There’s also the matter of exclusive software in the professional space that’s only available on Mac. Final Cut Pro, Xcode, Logic Pro X, etc.

I would say that Windows PC can do everything and more than any MacOS can do and MacOS is not open source only some of it is open source.  Also to note that Windows 10 can run full Linux inside / side of it self. I have Ubuntu running in Windows 10 and fully able to access on Windows. This is call Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL 2) and does allow full Linux GUI. So you get the best of both world without the need to deal boot. I think M1 chip will kill off Bootcamp, I also would not feel safe with my data with the M1 chip or T1 chip on my computer as far I know that Data Recovery would not be possible if one of this chips fail. you just lose all your data.  Also note that there a lot of exclusive software in the professional space that’s only available on Windows, as way as games.