Single PC in Server Case - 3 Users Build

Jash Jacob
Go to solution Solved by jj9987,

Single system is possible, but I wouldn't.

Those processors only have 2 cores (i3 is with HT, Pentium is without), you can't divide that between 3 users in a meaningful way - they are going to be overloaded for sure.

While you can add 3 GPUs to the motherboard, you may be limiting the performance, as they will run at 4x.

Plus there are the concerns such as what if the host goes down, then everyone is without a PC. Virtualization with GPU passthrough is not that stable, it takes more time to setup and can result in more headache when you need to troubleshoot something.

Budget (including currency): 2000 - 2500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Office Stuff (Mostly Web Based stuff like Gmail - Google Drive - Google Sheets e.t.c )

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys!

I have the following hardware I used from the mining days which I think I could repurpose for building something like what Linus did single PC - multiple users. I am willing to add additional hardware that would be required to make this build sucessful.

These are the hardware I already have which is idle -

GPU

1. Nvidia 1060 3GB (11 Nos)

2. Nvidia 1060 6GB (4 Nos)

CPU

1. Intel i3 - 6100

2. Intel G4400 ( 2 Nos)

Motherboard

1. MSI Z270 Tomahawk OPT BOOST Motherboard - LGA 1151 

2. Biostar TB250-BTC Ver. 6.x - LGA 1151 
3. Z270 GAMING PRO - LGA 1151 

PowerSupply

1. Corsair RM1000x ( 2Nos)

RAM

1. 16GB DDR4 Modules ( 4 Nos)

What are the community thoughts on this topic? Am I better off building 3 seperate PCs? 

BUILD:

CPU: i7-13700K| Motherboard: ASUS Z790 Prime - CSM | RAM: 16GB x 2 (Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600Mhz)

GPU: Nvidia 3070 Founder Edition | Case: NZXT Flow H7 | PSU: CoolerMaster 100W

Those processors only have 2 cores (i3 is with HT, Pentium is without), you can't divide that between 3 users in a meaningful way - they are going to be overloaded for sure.

While you can add 3 GPUs to the motherboard, you may be limiting the performance, as they will run at 4x.

Plus there are the concerns such as what if the host goes down, then everyone is without a PC. Virtualization with GPU passthrough is not that stable, it takes more time to setup and can result in more headache when you need to troubleshoot something.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

In my opinion with that list of parts you can't do anything usefull but mining.

The CPUs are crap, the GPUs are outdated for gaming.

THE PSUs are overpowered for any normal use

and the RAMs have too much capacity.

I would put some some i7 6700s on those boards maybe give two machines 32Gigs of RAM even if it's overkill, sell 12 GPUs, sell the PSUs and sell the crapy CPUs, then get some addidional parts cases etc. and you got 3 decent mid range gaming PCs.

Sell them all while you're still can, build a Ryzen 5000 with 3080 or RX6800.

Not worth keeping, sell it while it's still worth something.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

21 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Thank you!

I will take your advice and just build 3 basic PCs with after buying a few 500W PSUs. 

Since it's mostly for non-gaming workloads at work. I think that would make better sense.

BUILD:

CPU: i7-13700K| Motherboard: ASUS Z790 Prime - CSM | RAM: 16GB x 2 (Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600Mhz)

GPU: Nvidia 3070 Founder Edition | Case: NZXT Flow H7 | PSU: CoolerMaster 100W