Routing packets to certain ports into a specific WAN and others in the other WAN. (in dual WAN environment)

Islam Ghunym
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
42 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

it should feature built in ADSL modem, Dual WAN of course, different USB applications, have decent QOS.. FQ Cadle or whatever they call it, guest network, traffic monitoring and most importantly a decent built in 4G LTE modem.

I'm not sure anything even exists. It's far easier to find each device separately and combine them. As an example, I don't have an ADSL-modem, but I do have a fiber-modem, which is connected to a PFsense-router. I have a separate 4G LTE - modem that is also connected to the PFsense-router, so there's dual-WAN. I then have a separate WiFi-router in the living-room, because that's where WiFi-connection will be most useful -- it would be far less useful where the PFsense-box is located.

PFsense can be installed on practically any x86 PC. I currently still have an Up Squared 4GB RAM as mine, though I have its beefier replacement waiting on the side.

47 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

do u have any budget option for me in your mind that does all of this at acceptable price.

You're kind of wanting options that will cost, no matter how you spin it. Besides which, high-quality networking just simply isn't cheap. I am on a tight budget myself, so I understand and I bought the 4G LTE - modem as used from local nerds and the WiFi-router is also a second-hand item in which I installed OpenWRT -- the original firmware was absolute garbage. Other than buying second-hand, there's not much that can be done and a setup similar to mine will cost you like 400€.

50 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

I want to route games' packets

That's a lot more difficult, since you have to know each and every port the game uses. I've never tried such setup, so I don't really have any advice there.

so I got a 4G modem and an ADSL moderm/router which supports dual WAN through DSL / Ethernet / USB 4G.

what I wanna do is to route incoming/outgoing packets to certain ports through 4G connection of the USB 4G modem that I plug earlier in the ADSL modem/router in dual wan configurations while routing any other packets into the other ADSL WAN connection through integrated DSL modem inside my router.

my device is: ASUS DSL-N14U.

so how do I do that?

20 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

what I wanna do is to route incoming

You have no control over where incoming data arrives, that's impossible.

21 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

so how do I do that?

You replace the ADSL-modem/router with something with more capable firmware.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, WereCatf said:

You have no control over where incoming data arrives, that's impossible.

You replace the ADSL-modem/router with something with more capable firmware.

actually I have control over that in dual WAN system. at least that what my device shows to me (even tho I agree with you 100%.... how I could I control incoming data??!), but the thing is I can't specify every destination IP in the world and I would like to route data to certain ports into secondary WAN for example and everything else into primary WAN. this is something my device does not have a capable firmware to do it. however "balance" mode seems to work as fail over once one of 2 WANs go down which is something I don't want to happen.

I think it would be better for me in this situation to add routing rules in windows with some kind of software or whatever and connect my 4G modem to my PC so that I can have 2 network adapters and manage data through my PC, but still have no idea how to do that :) do u recommend something to me?

2 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

actually I have control over that in dual WAN system. at least that what my device shows to me

You have control over what traffic the router accepts, not over what path the incoming data arrives via to the router. Typically the data would arrive the same route it went out, though, so that's not really an issue in and of itself.

4 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

but the thing is I can't specify every destination IP in the world and I would like to route data to certain ports into secondary WAN for example and everything else into primary WAN. this is something my device does not have a capable firmware to do it

This is what I assumed from the get-go and why I said you'd need a router with more capable firmware. Such capabilities just aren't typically included in consumer-oriented gear. You could do this with e.g. OPNsense, PFsense or OpenWRT. The feature you're looking for is specifically called "policy-based routing."

6 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

do u recommend something to me?

No, sorry. I am of the opinion that all such lower-level networking should be handled on devices meant for it, not on the desktop, and so I've never had any reason to dig into Windows's networking-configurations.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:38 AM, WereCatf said:

You have control over what traffic the router accepts, not over what path the incoming data arrives via to the router. Typically the data would arrive the same route it went out, though, so that's not really an issue in and of itself.

This is what I assumed from the get-go and why I said you'd need a router with more capable firmware. Such capabilities just aren't typically included in consumer-oriented gear. You could do this with e.g. OPNsense, PFsense or OpenWRT. The feature you're looking for is specifically called "policy-based routing."

Thanks for help.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:38 AM, WereCatf said:

No, sorry. I am of the opinion that all such lower-level networking should be handled on devices meant for it, not on the desktop, and so I've never had any reason to dig into Windows's networking-configurations.

actually I think that I need to buy another all in one device that support policy based routing. it should feature built in ADSL modem, Dual WAN of course, different USB applications, have decent QOS.. FQ Cadle or whatever they call it, guest network, traffic monitoring and most importantly a decent built in 4G LTE modem. hopefully this does not cost me a wealth. it would be ok if it can host a 4G USB modem, but then I need a good USB dongle that can suck far 4G towers very well 😅. do u have any budget option for me in your mind that does all of this at acceptable price. I am ok with custom firmwares if they were required.

I want to route games' packets into 4G connection so it has to be a good modem. I am afraid that not any 4G LTE router will do the job right ensuring low latency and stability for gaming. however I am not sure if expensive stuff will do the job any better so I actually need your advice.

42 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

it should feature built in ADSL modem, Dual WAN of course, different USB applications, have decent QOS.. FQ Cadle or whatever they call it, guest network, traffic monitoring and most importantly a decent built in 4G LTE modem.

I'm not sure anything even exists. It's far easier to find each device separately and combine them. As an example, I don't have an ADSL-modem, but I do have a fiber-modem, which is connected to a PFsense-router. I have a separate 4G LTE - modem that is also connected to the PFsense-router, so there's dual-WAN. I then have a separate WiFi-router in the living-room, because that's where WiFi-connection will be most useful -- it would be far less useful where the PFsense-box is located.

PFsense can be installed on practically any x86 PC. I currently still have an Up Squared 4GB RAM as mine, though I have its beefier replacement waiting on the side.

47 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

do u have any budget option for me in your mind that does all of this at acceptable price.

You're kind of wanting options that will cost, no matter how you spin it. Besides which, high-quality networking just simply isn't cheap. I am on a tight budget myself, so I understand and I bought the 4G LTE - modem as used from local nerds and the WiFi-router is also a second-hand item in which I installed OpenWRT -- the original firmware was absolute garbage. Other than buying second-hand, there's not much that can be done and a setup similar to mine will cost you like 400€.

50 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

I want to route games' packets

That's a lot more difficult, since you have to know each and every port the game uses. I've never tried such setup, so I don't really have any advice there.

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

so u think that I should be able to buy a separate router then connect my previous ADSL modem/router to it then connect a 4G LTE modem too and use a dual wan from the new router where I set routing rules.

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

that ain't be a problem at all. these ports are almost saved in my brain memory. I used to open ports for games I play a lot and I have tools that can monitor my PC connections to everywhere

Anyway, I am thinking about all of this shit just for one game I play (Apex Legends).... I can't believe it actually dragged my thoughts here to spend 400 bucks worth of stuff... the problem is that landlines ISP in my country are not reliable for stable connection. not only stuff will cost but 4G data aren't any cheap too.