Leaked MacBook Air GB5 benchmark shows score higher than 16-inch MacBook Pro; SC higher than 5950X

Go to solution Solved by Spindel,

*DISCLAIMER* All pictures below are stolen from Affinity forum. 

Since Apparently Geekbench is bad let's look att Affinity benchmark

This is a i9-10900 with a RTX 2070 Super

image.png.2f5c0203504a50b8fa961dd8318a10ff.png

This is a 3900X with a GTX 1080

image.png.7695f37d1eb96d2bd2758a053ca0d179.png

This is the M1

image.thumb.png.0e7353cdcc881f86e582110920f779c5.png

Oh and finally my ordered Mac Mini will give me (for the time being) the fastest turn time you can get in CivVI 

please recompile CivVI for AS :(

4 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

I have yet to find a laptop that can actually last a whole workday on battery doing actual work (as a software engineer, i.e. not just web browsing). So I welcome laptop battery life improvements.

I have never understood why people would work on the battery. I generally plug my laptop in unless an outlet isn't available and most of the time if I am doing work there is an outlet available. Granted I prefer working on a desktop anyways and I don't see the reason anyone would use a laptop for work unless they were traveling or in a meeting. 

57 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

Actual IT department: uh none of our applications work on this.

Hopefully ARM starts getting more applications so this kind of stuff can work well on it

✨FNIGE✨

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I have never understood why people would work on the battery. I generally plug my laptop in unless an outlet isn't available and most of the time if I am doing work there is an outlet available. Granted I prefer working on a desktop anyways and I don't see the reason anyone would use a laptop for work unless they were traveling or in a meeting. 

Sounds like you understand fine.  Outlets aren’t always available. As for laptops for work they’re only really useful when computers have to move.   Lots of jobs require that.  They even make special ones just for that.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So without having tried, you feel that confident you'd actually be able to do that heh? People who keep their laptops always plugged in are literally the last people to need long battery lives....

What's to try here? I alreayd have a 2020 MBA that has pretty good battery life. I know for sure that the new ones will have better battery life. So again, what am I supposed to try here? 

Apple's presentations need to be dragged behind the shed and shot for their grossly awful "attempts" at conveying information. Not the only company to be guilty of this historically, but the worst offender right now by a huge margin.

They've never really called out any specific hardware for any comparison, historically. And I honestly dont see what's the issue here. It's not like we take presentation numbers as hardline facts for any companies. You'll get these new Macs out in the wild next week. SO just wait for the independant reviews

On topic anyways, considering GB5 already shows similar for the A14, the honest take is "no shit". We can (and I think there is a case) argue to high heaven about how representative or useful GB is cross platform, but end of the day, that's what it's been saying before this week as well.

Umm, we have GB scores of the chip in leagues with i9. And Geekbench is a valid benchamark across platform. It measures how much a CPU can do in a given time and it doesn't matter which OS or platform it's running on

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

But that's what M1 is. It turns the Mac, which was previously a real computer.....into an iPad with a keyboard attached. Apple Silicon Macs run iOS apps, they lose multi-booting OS support, they have to emulate/translate all existing software, they have dumped traditional GPU support, and macOS Big Sur is more locked down on Apple Silicon Macs....

It runs normal apps in addition to iOS apps. That just basically exploded the mac app ecosystem. And with Catalyst it's easy to update and maintain both Mac and iOS apps, and will get easier with Mac as only UI changes need to be incorporated.

Dual booting OS can come in future when Windows on ARM isnt hot garbage. But even then, It doubt its a great loss.

As long as this emulation/translation is seamless then it's not a concern. You wouldn't even know the difference, unless there's performance degradation - which looks unlikely). And whenever these apps do get ARM support, automatically your laptop get a huge performance boost - you know the actual numbers that PCMR has been trying so hard to justifying it being useless the past few days

They're going in house with GPU too, so I again doubt it's a loss. They have their own Metal API, so they sure as hell have engineers who can make instruction sets that applications can take advatage of

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

imo these new Mac's aren't computers. They're Chromebooks. 

Probably the most short sighted comment here. I understand people being skeptical about it back when there were rumours 4 years ago of Apple looking into shifting to ARM, but just valiantly calling out the new MAcs as chromebooks even after perfomance numbers and high profile developers acknowledged it as so. That is quite a bit of ignorance/denial

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Re edge cases:

Yah.  No one ever thinks they’re an edge case. 

How is taking your laptop outside (you know the benefit of having a laptop), for a weekend vacation, or client site visit, situations with prolonged power cuts, or even the recent work from home trends where people actually work from multiple locations an edge case scenario? Just because it is for you, doesn't mean it is for others. The fact that laptops is as popular as today is due to it being able to stay unthethered from the wall.

So sorry to break it to you, but you're just straight up wrong and trying to downplay the potential gains and benefits because for some reason you just don't like Apple

10 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

that already normal, well not normal, but can be offered by many different laptops

15-20 hour battery life is not normal. Windows manufacturers claim those numbers, but most of them only lasts between 7-12 hours, typical for a ultrabook these days. And apple's battery life numbers are usually on point

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Failure to realise that you aren't the whole world is the issue with most people in this world. If everyone was like and usually always worked near an outlet, then laptops would've died as a category long time ago. Except it isn't and it's much more popular than desktops, excluding the high end (due to obvious performance reasons)

So what you may think as useless to you, is useful to many others

My personal comment:

Honestly, I can't believe that I have to go out of my way and justify why better battery is good thing to a lot of people here. It's so ridiclous how the people you expect to be enthusiats who are more knowledged than the vast majority of people remain ignorant.... because erm, Apple

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

15-20 hour battery life is not normal. Windows manufacturers claim those numbers, but most of them only lasts between 7-12 hours, typical for a ultrabook these days. And apple's battery life numbers are usually on point

theres multiple (ryzen mainly) laptops that can last 15-20 hours, given not "GAMING" laptops, but neither is the mac...

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

calling out the new MAcs as chromebooks even after perfomance numbers and high profile developers acknowledged it as so. That is quite a bit of ignorance/denial

It does not matter how quick your car is on a race track if you intent to use it for hauling..... ARM Macs won't even be able to run Photoshop natively for another year, so as far as I'm concerned Apple Silicon is fighting an uphill battle in terms of getting Pros to try it out. Not to mention the loss of myself as a customer (yeah, the Apple fanboy of the forum) because Bootcamp is gone. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

36 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

My personal comment:

Honestly, I can't believe that I have to go out of my way and justify why better battery is good thing to a lot of people here. It's so ridiclous how the people you expect to be enthusiats who are more knowledged than the vast majority of people remain ignorant.... because erm, Apple

Becuase tech forums exhibit an autistic fear of change. 

It doesn't matter that Affinity Photo also shows great performance gains. Any type of benchmark that will show these M-chips being faster than x86 will be discredited. 

3 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Becuase tech forums exhibit an autistic fear of change. 

It doesn't matter that Affinity Photo also shows great performance gains. Any type of benchmark that will show these M-chips being faster than x86 will be discredited. 

I don’t think better battery isn’t good, I’m just not sure it’s killer, depending on use case.  This no adobe thing is just bizarre though.  I don’t even know why they released if the most commonly used program for the platform can’t be released for another year.  Adobe is Adobe though.  They’ve been a pita for 30 years, way back to the font stuff and adb.  You never know if they’re going to do something great or get their thumb caught in it.  I remember a lot of thumb.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

.... This no adobe thing is just bizarre though.  I don’t even know why they released if the most commonly used program for the platform can’t be released for another year.  Adobe is Adobe though.  They’ve been a pita for 30 years, way back to the font stuff and adb.  You never know if they’re going to do something great or get their thumb caught in it.  I remember a lot of thumb.

Mehhh Adobe is just the creative worlds equivalent of the engineering worlds AutoDesk. Bloated, inefficient and buggy, but you have no choice since it’s the defacto standard.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t think better battery isn’t good, I’m just not sure it’s killer, depending on use case.  This no adobe thing is just bizarre though.  I don’t even know why they released if the most commonly used program for the platform can’t be released for another year.  Adobe is Adobe though.  They’ve been a pita for 30 years, way back to the font stuff and adb.  You never know if they’re going to do something great or get their thumb caught in it.  I remember a lot of thumb.

Better battery life is good, it just isn't worth the tradeoff in functionality if the software most people are going to use isn't available for ARM macbooks. IMO, Linus is right calling these ipads, it doesn't matter if its faster if you can't run the software, and most people doing serious work on their macbook lose bootcamp, and eGPU support.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Better battery life is good, it just isn't worth the tradeoff in functionality if the software most people are going to use isn't available for ARM macbooks. IMO, Linus is right calling these ipads, it doesn't matter if its faster if you can't run the software, and most people doing serious work on their macbook lose bootcamp, and eGPU support.

You have a point about eGPUs.

I wonder if support will come back eventually or if we’ll see Apple eGPUs based on the upcoming Apple dGPU (codename: “Lifuka”).

Or even external specialized cards like the Afterburner in the MacPro. 

That said, we need to admit that while eGPUs may be important to some (and Apple itself sent a mixed message by introducing the feature in March 2018 and effectively beginning to kill it in November 2020 with these new Macs, only 2 years and a half later), they’re not THAT prevalent that the lack of them can be considered a non-starter for a platform. 

As for the software, I see it as a temporary nuisance. It’s gonna be fine, a number of companies (including Adobe and MS) have committed to release native versions soon, there will be more support than Windows_ARM could ever hope for. In the meantime there’s the Rosetta2 translation layer. 

Do you people watch Linus just to know what’s up today or you expect him to also have good and interesting insights about the near future?

You can’t defend the “3 ipads” take, c’mon.

That’s like saying the Earth is flat because you can’t see beyond the horizon.

Linus is supposed to climb on the highest lighthouse and report to us that the Earth is, in fact, round. 

That’s a “fun and edgy” initial take, that’s ok, but that’s it.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not to mention the loss of myself as a customer (yeah, the Apple fanboy of the forum) because Bootcamp is gone. 

The Office Its Happening GIFs | Tenor

AMD blackout rig

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

i don't think its that all, im happy to accept more battery life performance etc. but when its getting the same app support as a fucking iPad it stops making sense

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

It runs normal apps in addition to iOS apps.

okay... believe what you'd like to, apple has made a good chip, but the problem is app support...

AMD blackout rig

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

It does not matter how quick your car is on a race track if you intent to use it for hauling..... ARM Macs won't even be able to run Photoshop natively for another year, so as far as I'm concerned Apple Silicon is fighting an uphill battle in terms of getting Pros to try it out. Not to mention the loss of myself as a customer (yeah, the Apple fanboy of the forum) because Bootcamp is gone. 

Why not use Parallels? It’s so vastly superior to bootcamp unless you’re in some really fringe use case. As far as native app support support, it’s looking like Rosetta 2 is going to run x86 apps better than... x86 can run x86 because of the huge boost in performance from Apple’s chips.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, Vitamanic said:

Why not use Parallels? It’s so vastly superior to bootcamp unless you’re in some really fringe use case.

Didn't realize that running any 3D applications was a fringe use case 🤔

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I had never considered Macs until in 2006 they went Intel x86 and suddenly I had the peace of mind of the “safety net” of bootcamp or fast enough virtualization. 

Before that, Macs were outside of my radar, barely acknowledged their existence (I don’t live in America, if that’s relevant, so it’s not like I had chances to see Macs in schools/uni/libraries or something)

Now, 14 years later...I’m more than ready to let go of that safety net, just give me that sweet power-sipping high performance, yum! 

But that depends on one’s personal needs in terms of software and necessity to have compatibility with stuff at work, so I totally get why this could be the end of the line for some here. Still not a non-starter for the platform as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

okay... believe what you'd like to, apple has made a good chip, but the problem is app support...

Which programs do you think Apple are missing?

If we are being realistic, Apple will have something like 90% of users covered on launch day. Which programs do most people use?

• Browser? Natively covered.
  • Office? Already in the beta channel, but can run fine in Rosetta Stone 2.
  • Email? Natively covered.
  • Text editors? Natively covered or can run in Rosetta Stone 2.
  • PDF reader? Natively covered.
  • RDP? Not sure if that's a native function in MacOS but if it isn't then it can run in Rosetta Stone 2.
  • Spotify? Natively covered because of iOS compatibility.
  • Facebook/Messenger? Natively covered because of iOS.
  • You can dump like most of the apps people use in the "because of iOS" category.

That should cover like 90% of their users. If we are worried about the remaining 10% then:

• Xcode? Natively covered.
  • Final Cut? Natively covered.
  • GarageBand? Natively covered.
  • VPN? Natively covered.
  • Adobe CC? Will launch in the beginning of next year according to Adobe. So the argument will only hold water for a couple of months.

I think the whole "it won't run any of these important programs!" arguments are fairly unfounded. Sure it lacks compatibility for some big name applications like Photoshop, but those are niche programs the vast majority do not use. The average Mac user, despite the image Apple likes to push, isn't some indie photographer or artist who constantly create new and interesting art. The average user mostly use their browser for everything.

The handful of third party programs people do use are often not high performance tasks so running then in Rosetta Stone 2 will not be an issue. It might not be as fast as running native ARM code, or even native x86 code, but it will be fast enough for most people to not be bothered by it (maybe not even notice anything), which gives developers time to compile to native code and push that out.

I would not be surprised if the amount of people who actually need:

1) High performance

2) in programs that aren't going to be available in ARM binaries at or near launch

is something like 5%. Basically, what I am trying to say is that the arguments and debates over software compatibility is a storm in a teacup.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I would not be surprised if the amount of people who actually need:

1) High performance

2) in programs that aren't going to be available in ARM binaries at or near launch

is something like 5%. Basically, what I am trying to say is that the arguments and debates over software compatibility is a storm in a teacup.

does that make not including a headphone jack a non-issue, just because a limited amount of people use it? 

just because a limited amount of people use non-mac software doesn't mean it's not an issue, or a concern

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

does that make not including a headphone jack a non-issue, just because a limited amount of people use it? 

just because a limited amount of people use non-mac software doesn't mean it's not an issue, or a concern

I'm most upset that there is no word if Civ6 will release a AS native version!

I wanna point out that currently an Apple ARM computer (the iPad Pro) has native Photoshop far before Windows ARM (Surface Pro X).

Native Photoshop for ARM Macs is coming soon...in the meantime, we’ll soon see (once the reviews are up next week) how it performs under Rosetta...can’t be worse than the crappy compromise (older version, 32 bit, sluggish) Surface Pro X owners have to endure to use Photoshop..

5 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I agree that software compatibility may be an issue. What I am saying is that it is a very tiny issue that seems to be getting blown out of proportions, probably because this is a forum that hates anything Apple related and people WANT to find issues.

Only a small minority of Apple users will have compatibility issues with the new Macs. For that minority, the switch might suck (for a little while) but for most it will not be an issue.

2 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

I wanna point out that currently an Apple ARM computer (the iPad Pro) has native Photoshop far before Windows ARM (Surface Pro X).

Native Photoshop for ARM Macs is coming soon...in the meantime, we’ll soon see (once the reviews are up next week) how it performs under Rosetta...can’t be worse than the crappy compromise (older version, 32 bit, sluggish) Surface Pro X owners have to endure to use Photoshop..

Very bold of you to assume that the Surface Pro X sold enough for one unlucky Photoshop users to accidentally buy it.

Let’s also not forget that AS Macs will have a ton of iPad apps from Day1. 

That may be the object of ridicule for some PCMR types that maybe think the iPad apps landscape is kinda like the Android tablet apps landscape but that’s not the case and there are countless apps that are worth their while..