Ethernet speed keep resetting to 100Mbps

AgentAY

So I just got a new motherboard with intel's 2.5 Gbps network adapter. Whenever I turn on my computer, it keeps resetting from 1Gbps to 100Mbps. So far I have reinstalled the driver "Intel Ethernet Controller (2) i225-V" version 1.0.2.6, tried manually setting the "speed and duplex" setting to 1.0Gbpm Full Duplex. Setting it to 1.0Gbpm Full Duplex fixes the problem, but after restarting my computer, it goes back to 100Mbps , even though the setting still says 1.0Gbpm Full Duplex. At this point I am lost and in need of help lol. On my old motherboard, I never had any issues like this before, started happening after I upgraded.

2 hours ago, AgentAY said:

So far I have reinstalled the driver "Intel Ethernet Controller (2) i225-V"

Did you get this driver directly from the Intel website, and uninstall the old drivers completely before reinstalling?

On my old motherboard, I never had any issues like this before, started happening after I upgraded.

You upgraded your motherboard only? Did you reinstall a clean version of Windows?

At this point I am lost and in need of help

Try another ethernet cable (Cat5e/Cat6/Cat6a). 

What make/model of router is this PC plugged in to?

5 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Did you get this driver directly from the Intel website, and uninstall the old drivers completely before reinstalling?

You upgraded your motherboard only? Did you reinstall a clean version of Windows?

Try another ethernet cable (Cat5e/Cat6/Cat6a). 

What make/model of router is this PC plugged in to?

i uninstalled from device manager and then restarted the pc to reinstall it

i upgraded my mobo, cpu, storage.

i did try another cable

i have some ROG router. (Dads)

Worth checking your network equipment and other devices. Some older routers and switches would change all links down to the speed of the slowest device on the network. E.g. If you were using one of these devices and everything was gigabit except one device at 100mb, the whole network would be slowed down to 100mb maximum. Not really a problem with modern devices in my experience but worth checking. 

40 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

yes clean install. even the secondary drives were wiped.

Hi I think this might solve your problem maybe the cable you are using is like a cat 5. Recently i bought like a 20 ft cat 5e but it was apparently cat 5 so maybe swapping out the cable might work cheers

11 hours ago, AgentAY said:

i uninstalled from device manager and then restarted the pc to reinstall it

i upgraded my mobo, cpu, storage.

i did try another cable

i have some ROG router. (Dads)

try buying another cable

10 hours ago, AgentAY said:

yes clean install. even the secondary drives were wiped.

Other things to try:

Other questions:

1. You wouldn’t, by chance, have another network device between the ethernet run from the PC to the router?
  2. How long is the ethernet length?
  3. Inspect the full length of the ethernet cable. Are there any sharp bends or obvious damage to the cable itself? Any nearby sources of EMI?

Id start with the cable.

10/100... Uses 2 Pair.

1000 Uses 4 pair.

If you have a cable where a pair is going weird on ya, it could do this.

If you have a 2nd device available that has a gigabit ethernet port, you can try seeing if that device has the same issue.  If the issue is still present, it is most likely an issue with the network.  If the issue goes away, it is most likely an issue related to the device itself.  Just a way of isolating variables.

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.