Coaxial cable port in wall not working, what do i do?

Aaralli

My family wanted to move our Modem and Router setup to a different room, and there's a coaxial port in the wall right where we want to move it. I set everything up properly, but there was no internet connection. Now, this house is around 30 years old and was made as cheaply as possible. I bought a brand new coaxial cable that was shielded and had the best reviews for this project... so I thought that perhaps my problem was the cable. But both the new cable and the old cable work in the port in the other room, and neither works in the new room. What do i do here?

Have you done a continuity test?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Have you done a continuity test?  

I'm 18 years old and I just started learning how to be my family's "IT support/tech guy" a year or so ago. Would you mind explaining how I would go about performing a continuity test?

13 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

I'm 18 years old and I just started learning how to be my family's "IT support/tech guy" a year or so ago. Would you mind explaining how I would go about performing a continuity test?

Sorry continuity test is “does it transmit power”. It’s sometimes called a “bell test”.  on some multimeters the indicator had a bell icon on it and used a buzzer to indicate continuity.  It Tells you if the wires are connected.  Sometimes coax in old houses doesn’t even go to the cable tv it just runs to the tv ariel on the roof.  If you’re dealing with one of those there won’t be any continuity. I use a “continuity wire” which is just a spool of wire. You connect it to one end and see if juice flows. You don’t even need a multimeter.  You can do it with a light bulb or a doorbell (this may be where “bell test” came from)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Aaralli said:

What do i do here?

Well Coax like Ethernet should all terminate in one place. Meaning, you need to determine where the other end of the cable in the wall terminates to. ALSO to be very correct the modem needs to have the best signal, that means only ONE splitter between it and the cable company. Generally if you have Internet and TV service the cable co should install a two way splitter off the main line coming in. Then one side would do Internet and the other TV, if you have more than one TV then a second splitter will be used on the TV side. You really need to find that two way splitter and make sure that coax port is connected to that splitter for best results. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.