Review: EK Vardar Evo 120ER D-RGB

Stahlmann
Just now, Stahlmann said:

No complaining. Just stating how i hear them. I didn't say the bother me above 500RPM. But they are not silent anymore above 500RPM.

Well, no fan can be silent at a certain point, unless they are in a vacuum so all fans have a noise, but at certain levels

5 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

I mean they complain about noctua fans at 500 rpm, imagine 3000

Who's complaining about Noctua fans running at 500RPM? lol

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

As i have the black chromax variants, they're not ugly at all. But i was hoping to find some RGB fans that are at least somewhat comparable. But as my standards for silence are so high, i guess i'm stuck with Noctua for eternity.

What if noctua had rgb, they will lose power that is give to leds, so the highest performance can't look good

17 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

This might be useful, considering the discussion above:

-SNIP-

(no, the MLs are not better than the Vardars, or at least not notably)

Thanks for the suggestions. But there is no reason i want to change out my fans other than adding some RGB to my system. As far as i'm concerned i already have the best possible low-noise fans for radiator use with my NF-F12 chromax fans (other than the NF-A12x25, which are not available as chromax yet).

Until i can find a RGB fan that performs like the NF-F12 and can fit my high standards for low-noise operation, i won't change my trusty noctuas out.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

What if noctua had rgb, they will lose power that is give to leds, so the highest performance can't look good

That doesn't make sense. The RGB illumunation gets it's power from another cable. That's irrelevant for the performance of the rotor. Not having RGB is just a choice from Noctua. Just like it was a choice to don't care about colors, but performance. Seeing how long they took to release black fans, i guess it's not possible for the to ever release RGB fans. At least not while i'm still here to see it.

6 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

I wasn't. I was merely stating that they become audible above 500RPM in my case. I was not complaining about anything.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

That doesn't make sense. The RGB illumunation gets it's power from another cable. That's irrelevant for the performance. Not having RGB is just a choice from Noctua.

No, the other rgb cable is purely just for control, and is connected to a controller hub, I don't think it delivers power

1 minute ago, Ankh tech tips said:

No, the other rgb cable is purely just for control, and is connected to a controller hub, I don't think it delivers power

It does. Normally it's gonna be a 5V 3-pin DRGB or a 12V 4-pin RGB cable. The led's have nothing to do with the standard fan header and it's power draw.

It does. Normally it's gonna be a 5V 3-pin DRGB or a 12V 4-pin RGB cable. The led's have nothing to do with the standard fan header and it's power draw.

yeah but corsair's hubs deliver power? oh that is why they need sata power

Just now, Ankh tech tips said:

yeah but corsair's hubs deliver power? oh that is why they need sata power

Yes, the power for the fan motor is going through the standard 3-pin or 4-pin PWM fan header.

The power for the lights is going through the same cable that's used to control it.

Yes, the power for the fan motor is going through the standard 3-pin or 4-pin PWM fan header.

The power for the lights is going through the same cable that's used to control it.

well then why are ml120 pros non rgb 2400rpm but ml120 rgb is 1600rpm, a move from corsair to gain more?

Just now, Ankh tech tips said:

well then why are ml120 pros non rgb 2400rpm but ml120 rgb is 1600rpm, a move from corsair to gain more?

Maybe they're different motor designs or generations. Who knows. But the LL120 white can also spin up to 2200RPM while having RGB.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Maybe they're different motor designs or generations. Who knows. But the LL120 white can also spin up to 2200RPM while having RGB.

that's odd, ll120 black is only 1600rpm, maybe because the ll120 white is newer

• 7 months later...

A little late to the party, but what about using Phanteks Halos with the Noctua NF-F12?

21 hours ago, Tech810 said:

A little late to the party, but what about using Phanteks Halos with the Noctua NF-F12?

I did use the Halos for a while and they worked and looked great.

In the end i had to switch them back out because i did a motherboard upgrade since then and the I/O cover of my new board didn't have enough clearance for the top fan plus the Halos frame.

They are a good solution, but an expensive one. You'll end up paying 50€+ for a Noctua fan + Phanteks Halos frame.

hmm i got my halos for $10 each and a secret chines fan on the way for $9....but i got lukey

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

hmm i got my halos for $10 each and a secret chines fan on the way for $9....but i got lukey

This is exactly what i tried to avoid. Bad fans with RGB. Then i could've just kept the vardars.

It's weird that while all high end fans use FDB bearings, Vardar fans use ball bearings and I always worried that would be an acoustical issue. And apparently it is.