Davinci Resolve On a Raspberry Pi?

Hey

I was wondering if I could use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a renderer for Davinci Resolve. Rendering takes a while on my laptop (3550h, gtx 1650) and I want to be able to use my PC while its rendering, but want to be able to use my full computing power while it is rendering. Is there a way to render my videos on the Pi? I could work with it set up as just a rendering server or just straight up installing resolve on it.

The laptop will be far far far faster than the Pi. The Pi only really has the power to browse the web and run light programs like a pihole. You'll have a hard time getting Linux to run on it, and even harder possibly impossible to get the x86 application of Davinci Resolve to run on ARM.

I'd guess it won't be worth the trouble-- while the pi4 is a powerful little system, it's still around Core2 Quad levels in most tasks, so you'd likely get more performance just by running the render on 4-6 threads on your laptop.

What's make you think RPI is faster than your laptop?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

The laptop will be far far far faster than the Pi. The Pi only really has the power to browse the web and run light programs like a pihole. You'll have a hard time getting Linux to run on it, and even harder possibly impossible to get the x86 application of Davinci Resolve to run on ARM.

8 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

I'd guess it won't be worth the trouble-- while the pi4 is a powerful little system, it's still around Core2 Quad levels in most tasks, so you'd likely get more performance just by running the render on 4-6 threads on your laptop.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

What's make you think RPI is faster than your laptop?

well i think he wants his laptop to be free and pi do rendering in background

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

It's possible, but, resolve render server needs a dedicated gpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

It's possible, but, resolve render server needs a dedicated gpu.

well there are other editing software for pi

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I can't find it right now, but there's a gif on r/programmerhumor of a huge Oragnutan riding the tiniest tricyle captioned "writing code on a raspberry pi like" 

I think that's really relevant here, your laptop is orders of magnitude faster than a pi 4 in terms of raw compute. Maybe you could use your laptop to render and then have the pi on a second input on your monitor to fuck around youtube and 4chan or whatever? I mean I guess you could use it to render your projects, but it would take so much longer than if you just rendered on your laptop. 

ASU

12 hours ago, mahyar said:

exactly

11 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I can't find it right now, but there's a gif on r/programmerhumor of a huge Oragnutan riding the tiniest tricyle captioned "writing code on a raspberry pi like" 

I think that's really relevant here, your laptop is orders of magnitude faster than a pi 4 in terms of raw compute. Maybe you could use your laptop to render and then have the pi on a second input on your monitor to fuck around youtube and 4chan or whatever? I mean I guess you could use it to render your projects, but it would take so much longer than if you just rendered on your laptop. 

The idea is for me to use the full power of my laptop at all times. For example, being able to play games, or edit another video.

1 hour ago, SLI_Ready said:

The idea is for me to use the full power of my laptop at all times. For example, being able to play games, or edit another video.

Yeah you need another fast computer to do that unless you want each project to take days to render on the pi. 

ASU

53 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Yeah you need another fast computer to do that unless you want each project to take days to render on the pi. 

I plan on using my already existing cluster of 6 pi’s. Also, time isn’t really the consideration here. All I’m rendering are small YouTube videos at 1080p 60, that are tops like 15 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, SLI_Ready said:

I plan on using my already existing cluster of 6 pi’s. Also, time isn’t really the consideration here. All I’m rendering are small YouTube videos at 1080p 60, that are tops like 15 minutes. 

oh, this is beyond my knowledge. Can the cluster be configured to act as a single linux computer? If so then that might work.

ASU

16 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

oh, this is beyond my knowledge. Can the cluster be configured to act as a single linux computer? If so then that might work.

Yes. The thing that I really want help with is installing Resolve on the RasPi. Since it's ARM based, I'm not sure if it will work. Ubuntu now has an official distro for the Pi, but I don't know if I can just install the regular Ubuntu version on the ARM based Pi.

25 minutes ago, SLI_Ready said:

Yes. The thing that I really want help with is installing Resolve on the RasPi. Since it's ARM based, I'm not sure if it will work. Ubuntu now has an official distro for the Pi, but I don't know if I can just install the regular Ubuntu version on the ARM based Pi.

Looks like Resolve really needs the GPU, so it doesn't matter how big your cluster is https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=107025

ASU